It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 23:23:22

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Strange Rescue Behavior
PostPosted: Wed 06. Jan 2021 6:24:40 

I am reporting a strange rescue behavior that happened recently during a flight. After an easy 3D flight, on a heli that uses a Spirit Pro, I tested rescue, and the heli went almost straight down. I tested it a couple times again and the rescue direction was way off, nowhere close to vertically upward. On landing rescue tested with the swashplate radically tilted, and after activating rescue a number of times, it eventually returned to a normal result. I flew two more two-minute flights doing easy 3D and the result was the same. Rescue was way off, on landing it was again way off, and after a minute or so would return to a normal result. During these flights I was using Spirit firmware v3.2.0 and Stabi Correction was On. The vibrations were low, under 20. I then flew one more test flight with Stabi Correction Off, and in this case rescue worked correctly.

While testing on the bench I ran into a similar strange rescue behavior when using Spirit Settings. This may or may not be related, but I am reporting this because it is strangely similar to what I encountered at the flying field.

In Spirit Settings, when I make a change in Servo Travel Correction and then close the window, rescue will also behave strangely. The following video shows this result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WZQLB0iFDk

The swashplate starts way off to the rear. About halfway through (00:31) it changes direction to the front. Then it eventually (00:45) starts to gradually return to a normal result with the swashplate level. It is almost like Spirit is figuring out where up is. During this test I am using Spirit firmware v3.2.1 and Stabi Correction is Off. I have four helis with Spirit Pros, and three of them exhibit this same strange rescue behavior. The fourth one that does not is different because it has a GeoLink connected.

I hope that this helps somehow.

Frank

PostPosted: Wed 06. Jan 2021 8:52:48 
Site Admin

Hello,

during Servo Travel Correction rescue algorithms are turned off and then it depends what you will do with the model.
Once setup is closed the algorithms will correct the inclination within few seconds. In the air this is not happening.

Instead if you enable Stabi Correction demands for model condition are much higher. For this reason it is not enabled by default. When it is turned off your model can vibrate much more and it will work properly. If there are very high vibrations then Extended signal correction can be enabled which will add even higher vibration resistance.
In each configuration there are certain pros and cons, but for the most pilots default settings is the best.

Unfortunately value in the telemetry can't exactly correspond to a kind of vibration that are disturbing sensors that are used for Stabi Correction. It is better to use Vibration Analysis to find frequencies. Higher frequency vibrations are always bigger issue. With extended signal processing one do not have to care about vibrations basically at all.

PostPosted: Wed 06. Jan 2021 17:47:06 

Thanks Tomáš, for pointing out what I was seening in Spirit Settings.

I guess from now on I will just leave Stabi Correction Off. The heli which I had the issue at the flying field was a Synergy E5 streached to a 700 and flown at a low head speed (1550 RPM). With Stabi Correction Off I expect that I will not have a problem, because with my other helis that have much greater vibrations (around 100 with my gasser), Rescue works well.

PostPosted: Wed 13. Jan 2021 22:24:34 

Hey, i had the same problems. Stabi correction on, and heli gets thrown all over the place by rescue. Stabi correction off, it works ok. Looks like this Stabi correction feature really isn't working like it should and does more bad then good. Needs some further attention on next firmware releases.

PostPosted: Thu 14. Jan 2021 8:35:05 
Site Admin

Indeed it is better to leave the feature Off if there is no reason to enable it - see release notes and manual and description in the Spirit Settings. Around 5% of helicopters have too high vibrations, so the feature can't be used there. It can work actually even better, but you have to eliminate the vibrations.

PostPosted: Thu 14. Jan 2021 8:38:40 

Will there be improvements in the upcoming firmware releases since I also has problems with rescue after doing continous flips for example? In my case the vibrations was very low.

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu 14. Jan 2021 8:44:15 
Site Admin

Right now it is not in plan, it was already improved. We were improving the rescue for around year between 2019 - 2020.
This could help you:
http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... ise_Rescue

When measuring vibrations, please always use Spectrum Analysis in the Spirit Settings and measure with tail blades. Preferably at Y axis.

If you will have further issues even that everything described is good, please send private message.

PostPosted: Thu 14. Jan 2021 8:51:47 

We already did this together. The result of the investigation was that 1-2 minutes of continued flips should not be done :-)

I just hoped that there is something to improve since I lost the trust in the rescue a little bit, and after all I like the spirit unit a lot.

Kind Regards

PostPosted: Thu 14. Jan 2021 8:59:22 
Site Admin

I am afraid, but I dont remember who you are. If you used to contact me by personal facebook I can forget to reply you.
If you dont receive reply there then contact me again please.

Certainly doing flips for 2 minutes is not usual maneuver :) But yes, it should work too.
Are you doing this maneuver often when flying?

PostPosted: Thu 14. Jan 2021 9:14:44 

No problem, we have been in contact and I always got a fast reply.
But the issue was not fixed or identified. I can reproduce it even after doing 1 min. of flips.
And sometimes rescue turns the heli and rescues towards the ground (Gives you a rush when it does that ;-) )
I tried every combination of 'Ext. signal processing' and 'Stabi correction'.
Vibration was low (20-30)