It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 10:17:26

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Throttle setup guide
PostPosted: Fri 23. Oct 2015 11:49:00 

I would like to have a guide about how to setup Throttle with Spirit.

It has to be done differently when using Spirit Governor or not, when using ESC Governor or not, and the whole combination of TX end points and Spirit Governor screen Min/Max is still very unclear to me.

Clear examples with the most common ESC systems would be a plus (CC and YGE probably).

I have Spirit running with Gov on the Blade 450X stock ESC but I went back to ESC Governor in both the Warp (YGE 90LV) and the Goblin 500 (CC Talon 90) since I kinda did not trust the Spirit one enough for the reasons above.

Post subject: Re: Throttle setup guide
PostPosted: Fri 23. Oct 2015 13:22:59 
Site Admin

You can find the guide in our manual that applies for all ESCs with possibility of calibration.
For those that can't be calibrated, you have to use Min. and Max. parameters.
You can imagine it as when you have combustion helicopter and you want to set range of the Throttle Servo.

Basically there is only one thing that can be configured wrongly and it is Max. parameter, which determines how much your throttle can be opened. It should be equal with the value in the ESC.

Everything other regarding throttle range does not affect performance and reliability.

PostPosted: Fri 23. Oct 2015 17:20:10 

Thanks.

But still, thinks are not clear to me.

CC ESCs require a calibration process which normally involves playing around with ATV/End points (http://www.castlecreations.com/support/ ... points.pdf)

With Spirit, if I do it with TX ATV/End points I will screw up the range in Spirit.
So do I have to do it with Governor Min/Max? You just said those are used only for ESCs which don't have possibility of calibration!
For me, this is calibration... while you consider CC an ESC without possibility of calibration?
I have to assume you mean this is not used with ESCs like YGE which will just "read and learn".

Moreover, with CC ESC you first set the max and then the min, while I read here in the forum that due to the implementation of min/max in Spirit, you have to do min first. How do you achieve that?

You see, not everything is SO clear in the manual...

PostPosted: Sat 24. Oct 2015 10:43:59 
Site Admin

Fixed travel range in CC mean you can't calibrate it.
So instead with CC with fixed range, you have to calibrate unit or transmitter to match the range.

What I recommend to try is:
1. disable governor in the unit
2. set default range in the transmitter so it will match 0% in the diagnostic tab, but highest position to approx. 110%.
3. configure -118% as Min., 108% as Max., in this way you can reach 1100us - 1900us range.
4. save the settings in the unit and start the unit, TX with full throttle
5. wait for the beep, then go to the lowest position, wait for beep.
6. (optional) set the highest position of your throttle range in transmitter, so you can see 100% as the highest position in the diagnostic tab.
7. enable the governor and save the settings.

Setting of 110% temporarily is just because normally unit will not reach the highest point (1900us) with disabled governor when there is 100%.
But with enabled governor, it will use full range that is configured by Max.

PostPosted: Sat 24. Oct 2015 19:15:24 

Yeah, this has caused me lots of head scratching when using the Spirit with a Castle Creation ESC (which require manual 'fixed end point' calibration). So if it were possible to get some better explanation in the manual I think it might save others similar frustration. For whatever reason it's something that's not been an issue with other FBL controllers I've used.

ZeXx86,
I'll give your instructions a try but they will need modification for CC fixed endpoint, as with CC you need to set set the Tx throttle travel range to suit the ESC, rather than calibrating the ESC to suit the Tx, as is the case in most other ESC's.

PostPosted: Sat 24. Oct 2015 19:27:44 
Site Admin

The recommendetion above is counting with fixed end-points in CC. Actually this applies only for CC ESCs.

PostPosted: Sat 24. Oct 2015 20:18:19 

ZeXx86 wrote:
The recommendation above is counting with fixed end-points in CC. Actually this applies only for CC ESCs.

Then I think that you need some extra steps.
To set the fixed endpoints, before powering the system up with full throttle (step 4 in your description), you first have to back off throttle travel in the Tx to around 50% in both + and - travel direction.
Then after powering up with open throttle you gradually increase throttle travel in the Tx settings until the ESC/Motor beeps to indicate full throttle is recognised.
Then you go to closed throttle and again you increase travel in the Tx settings toward (or even beyond) 100% until you get the arming beeps.

The fixed endpoint routine is covered in the link that Coco66 gave earlier: http://www.castlecreations.com/support/ ... points.pdf

Anyway, i'm away to try it now... wish me luck. I may be gone some time!

PostPosted: Sat 24. Oct 2015 21:05:34 

I'm delighted to say, it worked first time following your advice, with the extra steps of manually increasing travel % value in Tx as i mentioned. I ended up with +/-132% travel % in the Tx, full throttle is now correctly recognised.

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Sun 25. Oct 2015 13:48:19 

Now I am EVEN MORE confused, I thought that what you just did with your TX end points is exactly what needs to be done through the Spirit min/max feature, and the reason why the min/max are there...

PostPosted: Sun 25. Oct 2015 21:05:57 

STEP to STEP Guide with Castle Creation Edge 200A on FW 1.3.1

I do use CC Edge in helicopter mode successful and the governor just works great, holds rpm fantastic. Running on SOXOS 600 with Pyro 650-103, 6S.
Remark1: If you got CC ESC and use Spirit Gov with 1.3.1, there is no way to use ESC build in Auto Rotation successful, as Spirit Spool-UP engages every time and this is not the way CC Edge Auro likes it.
Remark2: ESC in Heli Mode, works with fixed Endpoints. No need for High Throttle calibration, as it's fix @ 1900us which will be reached by Spirit once Gov is engaged, but won't be reached during setup procedure. I did analyze it in depth with Oscilloscope and logging, just believe me. The process is as it is with release 1.3.1, guess the Development team works on it, to make it easier.

Following these steps and you gonna enjoy:
I have DX9 with Satellites, my values in [] for your reference.

0. Configure CC for external Governor with no Auto enabled
1. disable governor in spirit
2. Configure a 100% throttle curve/point, 0% @ Hold
3. Adjust servo travel in TX to match 100% and only 100%, 0% (for INIT), we do later (this allows proper calculation on max rpm based on curve) [101]
4. In Spirit Throttle range configure min -110 and max +110 (to allow ESC to reach full throttle, this can only be measured, just believe it)
5. Enable GOV by Spirit
6. Save and Power cycle FBL and ESC
5. Power up Spirit with 0% Throttle
6. on Transmitter increase LOW-Servo-Travel Adjustment, till ESC initiates [115]
(if you got Auro enabled in ESC to test, even its not supported, you need to go as low as [145] to meet 1060us for Initialization)
7. Restore to correct Throttle curves (lines) in TX

Well you are done, try it. :mrgreen:

Just to share my parameters I did end up (DX9, SOXOS 600, Edge 200A, 6S)
ESC Initial Spool-up: [High 8]
Spirit Gov: Spool-up: [fast] / Gov. Response: [6] / Gov Hold Perf. [3] / max: [2400]
TX: 71%:1700rpm / 90%:2150rpm / 94%:2250rpm
With this setup it draws up to 200A on heavy stick work, but holds rpm as requested

@Coco: If you do not use Spirit Governor, you only use TX Travel Adjustment to match Range. If you use Governor, Spirit has to know what 100% is like, to calculate requested rpm based on max and Throttle curve as well as possible ranges to control the ESC with highest resolution.

Oxy4max SpiritPro + HW // SOXOS 550, SpiritPro, HW120A V4, 920KV // SOXOS 600, SpiritPro, HW160A, Pyro650 // SOXOS Strike7, SpiritPro, HW160A, Pyro750 // Skywing Spirit Aero // FrSky Horus X10S + Taranis X7 /