It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 19:16:50

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Throttle setup guide
PostPosted: Mon 09. Nov 2015 16:21:38 

Coco66 wrote:
Now I am EVEN MORE confused, I thought that what you just did with your TX end points is exactly what needs to be done through the Spirit min/max feature, and the reason why the min/max are there...

I read your reply and figured that you must be right, so i want at it again from first principles.

First set the throttle end points in the Tx travel adjust screen to give +/-100% on the 'input channel' green sliders in the Spirit software, I needed +/-103% in the Tx to get it right. I then reduced throttle range in the Spirit software to +/- 80%.

Now i went through the standard Castle 'set endpoint' routine. Powered on with wide open throttle as usual but instead of increasing travel in the Tx i increased it in the Spirit. I ended up with +106% and -135% to get upper and lower endpoints recognised.

So i think it's now perfect, ESC recognises end points and the input channel slider recognised exactly +/-100%

PostPosted: Mon 09. Nov 2015 22:08:42 

I agree this sounds better.

Let us know if it also flies better ))))))))

PostPosted: Tue 17. Nov 2015 4:01:37 

Adrian
Thank you -thank you - :D thank you

works great finally

PostPosted: Sun 10. Jan 2016 23:35:40 

After a lot of headache, if found the above info and I was able to properly setup the CC end point with the spirit pro unit. I’ve 0% to 100% on the software green slider and the motor work fine, but it did not reach is full speed.

To match the 0 to 100% on the software throttle slide, I need to put tx travel adjustment high value to 76% and the low value to 56% (Tx is JR XG14, in xbus mode B)

I’m running the CC in governor mode, with a flat 30% - 70% and 100% throttle curve.
30% curve, is ok. (2000 rpm)
70% curve, no head speed change. (2000 rpm, but should be 2300)
100% curve, get the speed of the 70% throttle curve (2300, but it should be 2600).

Anyone have some advice on how to get the 3 heads speed working?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue 12. Jan 2016 11:37:49 

Read better the previous posts.

First you have to adjust your TX end points to reach -/+100 on the Diagnostic tab, then do the CC fixed points setup acting on the Spirit software Governor screen min and max.

Did you do that?

PostPosted: Fri 15. Jan 2016 0:10:14 

Yes, I did. I have +/- 100% in the diagnostic tab and I had calibrate the ESC end point with the min and max setting until the esc beep for high and min value.

If I set the throttle curve in the radio, the motor work perfectly.
If I set the throttle curve to work with the esc governor, I am not able to use the idle up 2 head speed.

When I was calibrating the ESC with the transmitter only, I always did 2 more clic on the min and max value.
I did the same with the min and max setting in the governor tab of the spirit software. Maybe that is why it is not working properly.
I will try out again tonight, but I will try to stop exactly with the esc beep instead of 2% after.

I'll keep you updated after my test.

PostPosted: Fri 15. Jan 2016 2:18:01 

I just retry to make the 3 head speed working and still no success.

For those how are will to try to help me, I attached my spirit and esc setting and other info on tx and receiver model.
As coco66 ask, I did the proper travel adjustment on my tx.

Low travel adjust on my tx to match 0% in the spirit software is 59%
Attachment:
File comment: 0% on throttle
Capture 1.JPG
Capture 1.JPG [ 53.58 KiB | Viewed 1518 times ]

High travel adjust on my tx to match 100% in the spirit software is 69%
Attachment:
File comment: 100% on throttle
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 2.JPG [ 49.71 KiB | Viewed 1518 times ]

I increased the min max value in the spirit gov. tab until the esc beep for high and low value.
Attachment:
File comment: Travel adjust on the spirit gov. tab.
Capture 3.JPG
Capture 3.JPG [ 30.93 KiB | Viewed 1518 times ]

I did this calibration with a 0 to 100 throttle curve.

Once the ESC was calibrated, I changed the throttle curve to a flat 30% 70% and 100% as explain in the talon 90 user guide.
This should give me the following head speed of 2000, 2300 and 2600.

When I retry the motor with these 3 throttle curve, I am only hearing 2 of the 3 head speed. The idle up 2 never kick in.
All the above test was done using a JR xg14 TX with a JR RG731BX receiver. The receiver is connected with the xbus cable to the rudder port on the spirit unit. The Tx is set on xbus mode B and the ESC is connected directly to the spirit unit in the aux1 port. With this radios/receiver setup, the PPM port are disable when the tx is set on xbus mode B, so I do not have the choice to connected the esc directly to the spirit pro.

Just for fun, I have try to calibrate the ESC using the receiver only in PPM mode.
Low travel adjust on my tx to match 0% in the spirit software is 112%
High travel adjust on my tx to match 100% in the spirit software is 72%
Guess what, the 3 head speed are working.

So, my only conclusion is that the software does not send the 100% signal to the ESC. This maybe because I need to go as low as 69% on the tx high travel adjust to match the 100% in the diagnostic tab.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give you as much detail as possible.
Thank you in advance for your help, I sorry if my English is a bit bad.

Note to spirit programmer, I am open to test a beta version in the spirit frameware.
I can also sent the spirit and esc seting file.

PostPosted: Fri 15. Jan 2016 2:57:06 

Hey, good new, I just solve my head speed problem. :D
Here is the step by step of what have solve my problem.

1- In the spirit software gov. tab, set min value to -100 and max value to 150
2- Save and close
3- Set my TX in PPM mode.
4- Connect the ECS directly to the receiver and calibrate the throttle
5- Change TX seting to Xbus mode B
6- Connect ESC to aux 1
7- Open the spirit software.
8- Place my throttle stick on my tx to 0. (diagnostic tab is at -10)
9- In the spirit software gov. tab, add min value of the diagnostic tab to the min value of the gov. tab. So, -100 + -10 = -110

With the above step, my 3 head speed are working perfectly!
I do not know the technical detail that make this setup working, but my gest is that this procedure calibrate the spirit unit to send the same signal the was set in the tx to calibrate the ESC.

I hope this will help other with CC esc.
Step 3 and 5 are specific to JR Xbus receiver only.

PostPosted: Fri 15. Jan 2016 11:20:08 
Site Admin

Great, thank you for the info.

With upcoming version the procedure should be much simple so it can be strightforward. But above method should work fine too.

PostPosted: Sun 19. Jun 2016 18:52:17 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Fixed travel range in CC mean you can't calibrate it.
So instead with CC with fixed range, you have to calibrate unit or transmitter to match the range.

What I recommend to try is:
1. disable governor in the unit
2. set default range in the transmitter so it will match 0% in the diagnostic tab, but highest position to approx. 110%.
3. configure -118% as Min., 108% as Max., in this way you can reach 1100us - 1900us range.
4. save the settings in the unit and start the unit, TX with full throttle
5. wait for the beep, then go to the lowest position, wait for beep.
6. (optional) set the highest position of your throttle range in transmitter, so you can see 100% as the highest position in the diagnostic tab.
7. enable the governor and save the settings.

Setting of 110% temporarily is just because normally unit will not reach the highest point (1900us) with disabled governor when there is 100%.
But with enabled governor, it will use full range that is configured by Max.

ZeXx86,

It pains me to write this. I was directed to this post because of the trouble I am also having getting my CC Pheonix Edge 160 ESC calibrated so it will arm connected to the Spirit Pro. I've been trying to follow what you wrote here but unfortunately I am playing dumb.

My difficulty is when you refer to the "unit" for example. I don't know if you're talking about the Spirit or the heli in general etc.

Number 2 of your instructions above says to "set default range in the transmitter......" I get that because you're referring to the transmitter.
Number 3 says to "configure........" This is where I lost you. Where/in what device do I configure and in what screen can I view the 1100us or 1900us range?
Number 4 then says to "save the settings in the unit". I'm assuming you are referring to the Spirit here.

My apologies for not following well. When there are numerous devices we're dealing with and numerous screens within those devices, it can be hard to follow without names put on those devices.