It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024 0:40:42

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun 11. Oct 2015 21:27:02 

Dear Dev Team

I just came new to Spirit after flying a few other FBL and I am exited with Spirit. Things just work great with default setting. Tail holds great out of the box. The Governor with RPM on CC Edge 200 is working amazing holding required RPM just great. Extra job you are doing there. :D

My Settings:
Spirit 1.3.1 / Governor Response 5 / Holding Performance 2 / Castle Edge 200 / Pyro 650 / Soxos 600 (low: 1650rpm / mid: 2100rpm / high: 2300rpm)

However I can't get Bailout working as expected. Is there any step by step guidance? Or at least a good explanation what's the trigger criteria like? What I discovered:
a) if Hold is pulled and released within 5 Seconds during flight, there is a faster Spool-up. However my Auro do lasts longer than 5 Seconds, more like 15-20 pending on altitude and Copter Size.
b) it's somewhere written do stay above 1.25ms (13%), however this keeps turning motor with 1000rpm on Head and not relay giving the faster spool-up, as it does within the 5 Seconds window.

I tried two different approaches to test:
1) Setting ESC as Multi-Rotor Typ, leaving all control to the External Gov, in this mode the Spirit has full aggressive control on ESC, there is no delay or filter. Full >1.89ms OFF/Init<1.11ms
I did set ranges 0-100% and adjusted Throttle range in Spirit to match ESC. Spool-up and Governor works, but bailout only within the 5 Second window as descried. Bailout did not work after a 10 Seconds Auro, beside the 1250us kept head spinning at 1000rpm, which is a no go.
Also, Spool-up isn't as smooth as with ESC build in Spool-up, which does some PWM and timing magic to get it super smooth. This brought me to the 2nd approach.

2) Using the External Gov Mode on CC Edge with Auto-Rotation enabled. In this mode ESC takes care about Spool-up but leaves aggressive Control to the external Governor once up on Speed. If certain Throttle (1110..1000us) is kept during Auto, it uses a faster Spool-up. Full >1.89ms Auto <1.11ms OFF/Init < 1.0ms.
To match requirements, I had to lower TX out as well as Throttle Range to get Initializations at 1000us.
This works on bench with Throttle Stick input as designed. (no Governor selected in Spirit). Time to test with Governor.
Since Spool-up and Bailout are controlled by ESC I did select very fast Spool-up not mess up with ESC Spool-up, as slow and fast did. Governor is running just great, as well as Auto-rotation somehow works. However Spool-up itself is not working as expected. Spooling up for Low and mid rpm gives kind of full rpm 2363, even requested shows 1700 in RPM Meter. Switching to mid and back to low gives requested 1700. Same if I fly with 1700, pull Hold and release within the 5 Seconds window gives 2363 instead of 1700.
Looks like Spirit expects faster Spool-up than ESC is doing and is looked in at this higher level, till rpm change request performed.

Well I see two areas, for clarification or functionality improvement:

A) For dumb ESC direct Forward, leaving all to the Spirit Governor, Bailout function needs to be improved for longer Auro times like 15-20 Seconds with clear ON/OFF selection criteria by TX. Bailout shoud not be a bet, it's a safety net like rescue.

B) For ESC with great build-in Spool-up and Bailout, any Bailout and Spool-up in Spirit should be be disabled. Leaving Spool-up and Auro Control to ESC. (Selection like Spool-up Rate: fully ESC controlled)

Best regards, Adrian
I'm happy to beta

Oxy4max SpiritPro + HW // SOXOS 550, SpiritPro, HW120A V4, 920KV // SOXOS 600, SpiritPro, HW160A, Pyro650 // SOXOS Strike7, SpiritPro, HW160A, Pyro750 // Skywing Spirit Aero // FrSky Horus X10S + Taranis X7 /

Last edited by Adrian on Mon 19. Oct 2015 16:42:57, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon 12. Oct 2015 10:42:16 
Site Admin

Thank you for the info.
We are very glad you are satisfied and also for your feedback.

The latest version is fixed for 5 seconds so for normal pilots it can't cause unexpected fast spoolup.

I believe that in the new version it will be possible to configure the value as you wish.

PostPosted: Fri 16. Oct 2015 22:11:11 

Thx for your answer.

Please also look into the issue with kind of Sprit Spool-up overtakes ESC Spool-up ending up in higher current RPM than requested RPM is showing. This can only be corrected by switching throttle curve. Over-speed also happens when releasing Hold within the 5 seconds window. I'm using FW 1.3.1

Regards, Adrian

Oxy4max SpiritPro + HW // SOXOS 550, SpiritPro, HW120A V4, 920KV // SOXOS 600, SpiritPro, HW160A, Pyro650 // SOXOS Strike7, SpiritPro, HW160A, Pyro750 // Skywing Spirit Aero // FrSky Horus X10S + Taranis X7 /

PostPosted: Sun 01. Nov 2015 20:29:37 

Finlay I have to say, with current Firmware 1.3.1 there is now way to use Castle Creation build in Auto Rotation function successfully.
But following various discussion in the forum, I'm very positive the issue is understood and will be addresses by Spirit Team soon.

Nevertheless, I have a great working setup with governor, holding rpm just great, which I did share in this forum.

STEP by STEP Guide with Governor working just great on following post
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=996#p12017

Hope this helps somebody out there.