It is currently Fri 26. Apr 2024 12:13:16

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue 02. Nov 2021 23:45:14 

I will be using an FrSky Neuron 80 ESC with a Spirit GT. For now, I'll be using an external RPM sensor to feed into the Spirit for the governor input, but this ESC supports DShot telemetry. I'm wondering if it would be possible to add this in the future as an ESC telemetry option to the Spirit software to feed back RPM data for the governor and telemetry? Is this even technically feasible?

I thought about asking about the RPM output from the S.Port as an alternative, but I'm pretty sure that's too slow for a governor to be effective.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue 09. Nov 2021 10:31:34 
Site Admin

Hello,

using telemetry data for Governor is unfortunately unusable, because data are too slow.
It is required that RPM wire is connected directly to the Spirit unit. So RPM signal can be processed without any delay.

In theory the ESC Telemetry can be implemented, but when using FrSky receiver it has no good reason.

Post subject: SmartPort Telemetry?
PostPosted: Wed 10. Nov 2021 14:38:45 

I'm not an expert on any of this, but my back-of-the-envelope math seems to imply that DShot RPM telemetry would be received at a rate at least as fast as the RPM pulses (at least on the 6 pole motor this helicopter uses). But I could totally understand if the delay introduced by requiring the ESC to calculate the RPM before even sending it to the Spirit would be too much to govern effectively.

Since you brought it up, I actually do think it would be valuable to implement support for FrSky SPort / FPort telemetry. Consider my current case:

T-Rex 500X:
  • FrSky RX8R Pro receiver (supports either SPort or FPort 1.0)
  • FrSky Neuron 80 (supports SPort telemetry)
  • FrSky FLVSS (supports SPort telemetry)
  • Spirit GT (supports FPort telemetry back to the RX8R Pro)

In this setup, I can either get telemetry from the Spirit GT by using FPort between the receiver and the FBL, OR I can get telemetry from the ESC and battery sensor by using SPort amongst those devices and SBus between the receiver and the FBL. I don't think there is a way to get the combination of all of the telemetry data simultaneously.

Contrast this with another of my helicopters.

Goblin Kraken 580:
  • FrSky RX8R Pro receiver (FPort 1.0)
  • HobbyWing Platinum Pro V4 (HW telemetry)
  • Spirit GT (supports FPort telemetry back to the RX8R Pro and HW telemetry)

In this setup, I am using FPort between the Spirit GT and the receiver to get telemetry data from the Spirit GT. The Spirit GT collects the telemetry data from the HobbyWing ESC and includes this in the data sent back to the receiver, alongside the altitude, vibration, and other telemetry that the Spirit collects. Other than the fact that I don't get individual cell voltage information, this setup actually gives me everything I want.

I know the Spirit GT does not currently support FPort 2.0, but is it possible that FPort 2.0 would allow the T-Rex 500X setup to imitate the Kraken setup somewhat by connecting the Spirit GT, Neuron, and FLVSS directly to a receiver that supports FPort 2.0?

Of course, the obvious solution for me would be to replace the Neuron with a HobbyWing (and I am considering that), but I think there's sufficient capability between the Spirit, Neuron, and other components that this should be reasonably doable. Consider this a humble ask.

Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Thu 11. Nov 2021 9:28:51 
Site Admin

If you want to use FPort, then all devices must support FPort.
It would be needed to translate all telemetry data from SPort to FPort to make it work.
I am not sure when FrSky will imlement FPort 2 to all their devices, otherwise it does not make a sense.

If you will use SPort instead of FPort then everything should work for you.

PostPosted: Fri 12. Nov 2021 1:53:03 

Oh! I did not realize until your comment that the Spirit can report telemetry back to the receiver via SPort through the SYS port! My mistake: it is clearly in the docs!

I've set this up this evening and am happy to report that I am getting full telemetry from the Neuron, the FLVSS, AND the Spirit GT!

Thanks so much for all your hard work! 8-)

PostPosted: Mon 15. Nov 2021 13:30:46 

Dshot telemetry runs at full dshot speed and is used in FPV Copters for realtime filter adjustments. So I guess it is fast enough to use in Govenor

https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight/pull/7264