It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 22:26:36

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: More connectors!
PostPosted: Sun 06. Jun 2021 0:57:17 

Seems strange that not Even the pro/GT units have enough connectors. Am I the only one wanting more?

For a regular heli like my trex800 there is simply not enough ports without fiddling with connectors. It is recommended to do a dual power supply on bigger models according to the manual so when “rud” port is taken for S-port you got aux1 and 2 left for power. Aux1 is taken for esc. And then with my spirit WiFi module id like to power that also but no ports to hook it up to. So a simple as can get heli setup is lacking two ports.

I’m solving it with some wiring/soldering but with 2-3 more ports it could have been so simple.

Post subject: Re: More connectors!
PostPosted: Sun 06. Jun 2021 11:46:38 

It is always a compromise, to have more ports the case will need to be bigger. So then may not fit smaller helis. You also have port 0 to take extra power...

PostPosted: Sun 06. Jun 2021 18:48:44 

these Y are very good quality
and heavy duty size cables

https://store.spirit-system.com/en/acce ... cable.html

PostPosted: Mon 07. Jun 2021 0:23:19 

I made my own Y connectors for each of the four servos and one for aux2 port so all are supplied directly from the battery pack.

It would be way more tidy if it had 2x ports sideways under the connectors that are there today. Height is normally not an issue if it’s a couple of mm higher.

PostPosted: Tue 08. Jun 2021 20:52:44 
Site Admin

You can use RUD, AUX1, AUX2, CH0 for powering.

So everything can fit without any Y-cable. Moreover you can still connect backup to your receiver. So even Spirit 2 is enough for your heli.

PostPosted: Wed 09. Jun 2021 6:19:17 

Never had an issue with the number of connectors on the Spirit 2. I also use a 2s backup battery on the 700.

PostPosted: Mon 14. Jun 2021 23:53:29 

ZeXx86 wrote:

So everything can fit without any Y-cable. Moreover you can still connect backup to your receiver. So even Spirit 2 is enough for your heli.

No that's not possible without a Y-cable. And spirit 2 does not have ch0. I'll show you why below here. I can use Aux2 for for powering the Spirit2 unit but then I only have one supply and the manual recommends two supply connectors on bigger helis. I also lack a cable for powering the spriti wifi dongle. Two more ports would be a minimum to cover my needs on a pretty basic 7-800. Yeah I could skip the Wifi dongle but I like to be able to do quick adjustments in field, view logs and stuff and I guess it's made to be used.. Anyways with the spriti wifi out I'm stilling missing one port for the second BEC power connector since all servo and aux ports are taken.

My setup :
Sys - Spirit Wifi dongle (this also require to be plugged into a port for power on the other lead so minus one here)
Ch1 - pitch/ail servo
Ch2 - elevator
Ch3 - Aileron/pitch servo
Ch4 - Rudder
Aux1 - ESC
Aux2 - free - Only connector free for powering the heli.
Rud - sbus to TSB crossfire with one connector
Ele/pit/ail - Manual says to never plug a power plug into this port

PostPosted: Sun 11. Jul 2021 6:37:03 

minim wrote:
ZeXx86 wrote:

No that's not possible without a Y-cable. And spirit 2 does not have ch0. I'll show you why below here. I can use Aux2 for for powering the Spirit2 unit but then I only have one supply and the manual recommends two supply connectors on bigger helis. I also lack a cable for powering the spriti wifi dongle. Two more ports would be a minimum to cover my needs on a pretty basic 7-800. Yeah I could skip the Wifi dongle but I like to be able to do quick adjustments in field, view logs and stuff and I guess it's made to be used.. Anyways with the spriti wifi out I'm stilling missing one port for the second BEC power connector since all servo and aux ports are taken.

My setup :
Sys - Spirit Wifi dongle (this also require to be plugged into a port for power on the other lead so minus one here)
Ch1 - pitch/ail servo
Ch2 - elevator
Ch4 - Rudder
Aux1 - ESC
Maybe I am missing out something (I use Kontronik ESC and Jeti REX):

On your list:

ESC IS one power connector (BEC1)
Aux2 can be used for 2nd BEC
RUD can be used also as power supply (I use to power my REX).

So you are good to go w/o any Y connectors.

And in my opinion WiFi dongle is overrated: you have full integration in your transmitter and the PC dongle is long enough for your "field laptop". I am not real friend of permanently "broadcasting" WiFi from my heli. It could be "hacked" :-) :-) :-).

Alex

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun 11. Jul 2021 7:37:03 

Galuwen wrote:
minim wrote:
ZeXx86 wrote:
And in my opinion WiFi dongle is overrated: you have full integration in your transmitter and the PC dongle is long enough for your "field laptop". I am not real friend of permanently "broadcasting" WiFi from my heli. It could be "hacked" :-) :-) :-).

Alex

I think full integration is not correct. I am not able to change any parameter of the Geolink for instance "Altitude Limit".
How to change the "Altitude limit" with the transmitter?
Please tell me. I have the WiFI Module on the Heli with an On/Off switch to change this.
I would prefer to leave it at home.
Thanks

Jörg

PostPosted: Sun 18. Jul 2021 18:56:45 

Galuwen wrote:
minim wrote:
ZeXx86 wrote:

My setup :
Ch1 - pitch/ail servo
Ch2 - elevator
Ch4 - Rudder
Aux1 - ESC
Maybe I am missing out something (I use Kontronik ESC and Jeti REX):

On your list:

ESC IS one power connector (BEC1)
Aux2 can be used for 2nd BEC
RUD can be used also as power supply (I use to power my REX).

So you are good to go w/o any Y connectors.

Alex

ESC is without integrated bec so it has no power. I think it's quite common on bigger ones to not have builtin bec. RUD is used for the receiver (I listed it above). I was supposed to have full integration in my radio but he didn't include it in this last update with tbs crossfire. Anyways looking at a crappy radio when going through logs or making adjustments isn't my cup of tea. I like to do it either on my phone or open my laptop. On a 800bird it's like nothing in weight addon so I keep my wifi module installed. On my 380 and 420 machines I only put it on when I need it.