It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 10:16:56

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu 08. Oct 2020 18:36:43 

Tomas,

Yes, I will try to reproduce. It is just that on Helifreak I was recommended to check my failsafe and it made sense to eliminate that possibility first. I took the opportunity to take the video to help someone else to also check for that when they setup their helis.

How can I save a level swash and centered tail on failsafe? Is that using the "Set failsafe" function?

Also I and some others who watched the video noticed as soon as I turn off the radio, the headspeed increases. Could this be also part of the issue?

PostPosted: Mon 12. Oct 2020 22:55:20 

Tomas,

A bit more information. I found a file that apparently got created, I think it is from the Spirit software. It has one line. It could be the error from the hot start, I don't know:

[1012/135829.576:ERROR:settings.cc(430)] Settings version is not 5

I also set my failsafe and the swashplate does not tilt anymore. I checked it on Diagnostic and now it goes to the values I set, which is a level swash at zero pitch.

The only other one I cannot seem to understand is why after my headspeed reaches its governor target, after a few seconds I can hear a quick throttle spike, then it normalizes again, should be evident on my YouTube video. I saw on diagnostic the actual throttle value does not change.

Regards

PostPosted: Tue 13. Oct 2020 7:51:57 
Site Admin

In theory yes, it could be also part of the issue. There is no reason for this behavior. But it is hard to say, because it could be affected also by other things.

PostPosted: Sat 17. Oct 2020 15:41:42 

Well we can eliminate the failsafe. I configured my failsafe on both the 500 and 570 and now the swash doesn't tilt. The motor stops and the positions of the swash and tail remain. After it spools down, the swash returns to level.

So after configuring the failsafe I tried to duplicate the issue again. I was able to reproduce it yet another time. Again the same thing, 25% throttle and some fixed inputs on other channels. I turned off the radio, the unit went into failsafe and it turned off the motor and leveled the swash. So it is definitely not failsafe.

I have ordered my first 4651T and I will install on the 570. I believe you recommend to use a satellite in addition to the 4651T so I will slowly buy two 4651T and two Spektrum satellites (the newest model that only has one antenna). But I think for the purpose of a test I can try to reproduce the issue after I install the 4651T. I still have to wait for your cables to arrive, though. But I have time during winter anyways.

Now, do I have to bind the satellites separately or will everything bind if I have the 4651T installed and the satellite?

PostPosted: Sat 17. Oct 2020 16:34:33 
Site Admin

Thank you for the message.

Spm4651t is itself satellite. These cant be used together with old Spektrum sats.
AR6610T is SRXL2 receiver that can be used together with SRXL2 satellite.

PostPosted: Mon 19. Oct 2020 21:04:53 

Tomas,

I found an old DSMX original Spektrum receiver that for some reason binds to DSM2 and not DSMX. I run two sats on each heli, so I disconnected one of the sats (SAT2) and connected the original sat to the cable coming from SAT1. So I am now only running a single DSMX (bound as DSM2) on my 570. All of this is on my house, without blades, the same as I have been able to reproduce it.

Well, this time it worked. I tried several times and I did not have a hot start. So I want to run a few more tests while I can get my hands on a couple of good Spektrum sats. I found other old non-diversity antenna Lemon RX DSMX satellites. The ones I am running today are full diversity antennas, with long ones like the SRXL2 receivers, instead of the short ones that satellites usually have. I found some non-diversity Lemon RX (short antennas) so I want to try those. I want to test with a single sat and with dual sats.

It seems it takes me less than 5 disconnect/reconnect to reproduce the issue so I will try to do as many as I can. Today with the DSMX/DSM2 sat I tried a few more than that and didn't have an error.

PostPosted: Tue 20. Oct 2020 16:53:22 

Well I figured out why. To bind DSM2, you use the SYS port but for DSMX you use the ELE AIL PIT port. I wish it was the other way around. I have an extension cable from the SYS port to a side of the model so that I can easily connect via USB for configuration or firmware upgrades. Actually I think it would be better for the sat to decide whether to use DSM2 or DSMX and use a single bind port on SYS. Anyways I didn't want to undo my wiring just for this test but I guess that's what I will have to do :(

PostPosted: Thu 22. Oct 2020 1:34:34 

Tomas,

So this is the result of my research. I conclude the cause of my issues are the Lemon RX DSMX diversity satellite receivers. So you were correct in thinking originally it was a receiver issue. I swapped them on the same heli, even same wiring, but now using non-diversity Lemon RX DSMX satellite receivers. Last time I drained the battery to about 75% and now I drained it to about 50% so I did many more tries and I could not reproduce the hot start. I also did some more changes I found my governor frequency was incorrect I had 60Hz and the manual recommends 120Hz for Hobbywing v4. I also checked for vibrations and I seem to be ok on the bench, without blades. I also found I need to swap the motor pinions between the 500 and 570 to achieve 82% throttle curve and have more efficient motor.

All in all, a very productive day! Now I just need to wait for your SRXL2 cables to arrive, I have my first 4651T to be delivered this week and I will try it. Now I need to order the new cable that connects to the sat port so I can use two 4651T and I will be sure to test for hot starts. I suspect there is something weird when two diversity receivers are connected, maybe something to check.

But all in time for now I will just play around with one 4651T since I won't be flying for the cold season for a few months and run some test, configure integration and finally hopefully battery pack capacity with integration.