It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 20:21:09

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Rescue freaks out
PostPosted: Fri 28. Oct 2022 7:22:52 

Hello,

yesterday I had a very strange experience with the Acro rescue. During the pre-flight check everything was ok and when I took off and tried the rescue also. At some point, maybe 4 minutes into the flight, I pressed the rescue again and the helicopter flew to the right and down.

I then landed and pressed the rescue. The swash plate moved to the right and down, in every bank. I then took the battery off and put it back on and everything was back to ok again.

It‘s a Spirit GTR. What could be the cause of this?

regards
Daniel

Post subject: Re: Rescue freaks out
PostPosted: Sat 29. Oct 2022 12:20:36 

Hello again,

I didn't find any errors in the setup, but then I recreated everything again anyway. I created a completely new model in the DS12 and installed the latest update on the GTR, performed a factory reset and also reset everything again.

Just to be sure that nothing strange is activated in the DS12 by mistake.

But the problem has remained. I have made 3 videos directly after the flight. The battery was never disconnected in between.

- Video 1: Directly after the flight, just took the helicopter and put it on the table.

- Video 2: Turned the helicopter once through 360°.

- Video 3: After approx. 1 min, everything was normal again and the rescue functioned normally.

I always press the rescue switch in the video, otherwise not. Rescue Acro on channel 8.

Is the GTR sensor perhaps damaged? This is all very strange and I don't want to fly with the helicopter like this any more.

I am not a Spirit newcomer, I have been flying the system in all my helicopters for 3 or 4 years now. But I have never had such a problem.

regards
Daniel

Attachments:

[ Play Quicktime file ] IMG_5182.MOV [ 4.95 MiB | Viewed 298 times ]

[ Play Quicktime file ] IMG_5181.MOV [ 5.8 MiB | Viewed 298 times ]

[ Play Quicktime file ] IMG_5180.MOV [ 7.73 MiB | Viewed 298 times ]

PostPosted: Tue 01. Nov 2022 14:58:14 
Site Admin

Hello,

can you share your settings file please?
Can you also share photo of the unit installed on the model so I can verify mounting position with configuration?

Here you can find all possible reasons why this could happen:
http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... ise_Rescue

It could be for example wrong Position of the unit, wrong Swashplate type, wrong servo wiring (usually it is combination of these three) even if model is flying well.
In some cases it is due to extremely high vibrations and in some it is due to ESC fan.

The page will help you to find the problem. Unfortunately it seems there is something very wrong :(

PostPosted: Wed 09. Nov 2022 16:00:01 

I'm very interested in this. I too had the same problem this past weekend.

I was just doing some basic hovering and such, and I wanted to try a few nose in maneuvers, so I engaged the stabilization mode. As soon as I did that, the heli pitched nose down and to the left. Thankfully I was able to disengage it and get control, then just on a hunch, I tried rescue which is set on a different channel, and it too did the same identical thing.

I brought the heli back to the bench, and sure enough, it was doing the same thing that the OP's heli is doing in the second video. Instead of all servos pushing the swash up, only one servo (in my case the right side) was going up, the other were not moving.

I unplugged the battery, and waited about a minute or two, plugged it back in, and everything was working normal at the bench. I took it back up, this time at a higher altitude, just to make sure, and as soon as I engaged Rescue, it did the nose tilt again. Normal flight though, was perfectly fine, no issues at all.

Needless to say, I now don't trust the Rescue and Stabi functions. FWIW, these were my first flight since I updated the firmware on this to the latest version. It's also a GT model with GeoLink connected.

I will check for vibrations and such, but what is considered to be "normal"? In a Goblin, the tail boom always has some vibrations in it. Also, I don't have a fan on my ESC. I'm using a 75A Castle Edge.

PostPosted: Wed 09. Nov 2022 21:52:00 
Site Admin

Hello,

vibration level in the Spectrum Analysis will show you if all is normal or not and what is wrong.
I recommend to run it with tail blades.

Usually in similar cases the value is few times exceeded what is considered normal.
The linked page above is describing all possible reasons why this could happen.

You can be only certain GT units have the best Rescue of any other unit, so if it does not work, there is very serious reason for it.

If you can provide settings, photo of how the unit is mounted I can help to check at least what is possible.

PostPosted: Fri 11. Nov 2022 5:39:25 

Hi Thomas,

Here is the information you requested. I attached the bank settings (I only set up bank 0), the 3 vibration analyzer outputs (X, Y & Z), as well as a short video showing what happens when I enable Rescue mode or Stabilization mode. I also attached a photo of the installation.

Attachment:
Goblin 500S Bnk0.4ds [255 Bytes]
Downloaded 9 times

Attachment:
orientation 1.jpg
orientation 1.jpg [ 302.91 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]

Attachment:

[ Play Quicktime file ] Rescue Mode.mp4 [ 3.92 MiB | Viewed 193 times ]

The Vibration images are on the next post

PostPosted: Fri 11. Nov 2022 5:48:36 

... Continued:

Here are the vibration analyzer output images

Attachment:
x.png
x.png [ 54.62 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]

Attachment:
y.png
y.png [ 64.93 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]

Attachment:
z.png
z.png [ 61.4 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]

Having gone through all this, I think I may have found the problem, although I don't understand why. In general, the rescue mode works correctly on the bench, but when I get to the field it, it goes weird.

Today, when I first put the heli on the bench, rescue was working fine, then after a while (after I did all the tests and stuff), it started to act up. That's when I took the video above.. At the same time I noticed that the GeoLink was solid blue, so even though I'm indoors, it acquired enough satellites for a solid link. I looked it up on the map and it pointed to the correct location. On a hunch, I pulled the plug on the GeoLink, and Rescue started working correctly. As soon as I plugged it back in and it turned solid blue, rescue started to freak out.

So the big questions, is why is the GeoLink affecting the rescue behavior? How do I fix this? Does the Geolink require re-calibration?

PostPosted: Fri 11. Nov 2022 14:07:46 
Site Admin

Hello,

thank you for more details.

If the behavior is happening with GeoLink it mean that some GeoLink feature is enabled. And anytime you engage Rescue also a GeoLink function will engage.
This is normal behavior if you will not assign a channel to enabled GeoLink feature, but you will leave it without a channel. Then all GeoLink features are engaged with a Stabi Function - this is described and shown in the GeoLink - Aid Tab window.
So for example if you will have RTH for example then it will return to some point when you will engage Rescue mode.
It is enough to turn off all GeoLink functions or do a different configuration.
In other words it works likely all correctly.