It is currently Tue 16. Apr 2024 14:41:44

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun 06. Sep 2020 19:54:39 

Good Evening.

All is good still on the points above, I think that is all sorted now with the tail starting and stopping as expected.

I am wondering if I could request a firmware with some parameters turned down a little further perhaps in two areas. Not sure if this will be possible but here goes;

1. The "elevator filter" default level amount if there is any, as even on zero there is a small bounce on the boom following quick stab elevator commands and if I raise this to 1 or 2 in an effort to remove this, the severe wobble sets in again.

2. The geometry 6 degree part, at present I am running with the value at 80 which equates to 3.4 degree's on the main blades. My current line of thought is that this value probably needs to be at half the manual recommended pitch value, so thinking if the maths behind this is halved (or lowered a little) would it perhaps work better?
It seems I cannot go lower than 64 points on this value, which I have not tried but wondered how far I can lower this and for it to still be effective?

This is all being done on an OMP M2 and I do feel the stock main blade grips with their control balls a long way out don't help, so I am trying to compensate for that possible hinderance in other areas.

Ian Contessa

PostPosted: Tue 08. Sep 2020 17:59:22 

Evening All.

Some more observations with a few more flights on the model, still no FFF, only hovering and moving the model around;

1. On closing the throttle back to zero on a smooth surface, as the tail is still spinning for a few seconds more, the model does a pirouette on the ground and runs the risk then of tipping over as it did on one occasion.
I did go into the BLheli settings for the tail ESC and noticed the idle speed was medium/high, which I have dropped to low to be sure it is not this parameter. But this has not helped, so my feeling is I'm wondering if the FBL is holding in the flying tail rotor RPM value a little too long before it is shutdown with the lower throttle position information? This in turn spins the model as it is going in the direction of right rudder and not in the torque reaction direction.

2. The elevator filter, if I am reading this correctly any bounce evident on the elevator axis can be tuned out with this parameter? However in my case it brings back the wobbles and then when set to zero, sharp stick inputs make the boom bounce up and down, so it's almost as if this parameter is working in reverse for me?

Ian Contessa

PostPosted: Tue 08. Sep 2020 18:20:23 
Site Admin

Hello,

1. tail motor should turn off immediately - you can try with a servo. There should be zero delay once you engage Throttle Hold. Maybe you have some delay for Throttle Curve in your radio?
2. yes, it seems to be that there is already more strange things. Especially Geometry 6° value.
When you will engage the Subtrim (tuning) are all servo arm in the middle and there is 0° between main blades?
You can resolve the problem by setting Elevator Filter to 0 and Cyclic Feed Forward to 3-4. This might resolve the problem. Probably with a different Flight Style it can be even better.

PostPosted: Tue 08. Sep 2020 22:10:43 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hello,

1. tail motor should turn off immediately - you can try with a servo. There should be zero delay once you engage Throttle Hold. Maybe you have some delay for Throttle Curve in your radio?
2. yes, it seems to be that there is already more strange things. Especially Geometry 6° value.
When you will engage the Subtrim (tuning) are all servo arm in the middle and there is 0° between main blades?
You can resolve the problem by setting Elevator Filter to 0 and Cyclic Feed Forward to 3-4. This might resolve the problem. Probably with a different Flight Style it can be even better.

Evening Buddy.

Thanks for the continued support.

In answer to your questions;

1. Ah I was thinking the same, that it should drop straight away to no power. I will double check my settings, both in the uSpirit and the tail ESC.
I do have a little bit of delay on the throttle channel, 10 seconds up and 2 seconds down and did consider this being the problem, so removed the 2 second down to try and rule that out and it didn't make any difference. Again I will check if the tail ESC which is running BLheli has a parameter in there that might cause this hang time of the tail motor, but I'm not seen anything. Unless it is a byproduct of the BLheli TAIL specific firmware, may have to flash the simple MULTI to it to prove this.

2. Yes the geometry issue is a strange one for me and I am not fully aware of what the relationship is within the programming of the FBL.
Yes I have used the sub trims to level the servo arms nicely, one is out a fair way at -93 points (aileron ch3) but the arms are nicely level. I am very hot on my bench setup to assure the best possibly flying experience.
Elevator filter is at 0 and this removes any wobble when simply hovering, likewise I am running 3 on the cyclic feed forward already, so not sure if going up might help?
Flight style i am at 5 in bank 0, again from my other models running Vbar's I do make use of the banks and assign varying values to each flight mode via the bank switching. Currently I am only dealing with bank 0 and once I have this up and running nicely will play with the others.

Ian Contessa

PostPosted: Wed 09. Sep 2020 15:25:59 

For BLHeli on Tail always MULTI is the better choice, as you have direct control.

If you use "TAIL" BLHEli firmware there is a rational behind - if you have to cut throttle, you still have some 3-5 seconds control in the air - which is not so nice when you are already on ground, and false parameters for the limits.

And on top - your setting on "motor-stop" is subject to be adjusted, re-think about this as well, as I recommended already in the past.
On transmitter full left, and find the rudder limit correctly.

PostPosted: Wed 09. Sep 2020 20:57:29 

fassla wrote:
For BLHeli on Tail always MULTI is the better choice, as you have direct control.

If you use "TAIL" BLHEli firmware there is a rational behind - if you have to cut throttle, you still have some 3-5 seconds control in the air - which is not so nice when you are already on ground, and false parameters for the limits.

And on top - your setting on "motor-stop" is subject to be adjusted, re-think about this as well, as I recommended already in the past.
On transmitter full left, and find the rudder limit correctly.

Evening Andreas.

Yeah good call on the MULTI instead of TAIL BLheli firmware, in playing around tonight I have seen the tail motor hangs on shutdown with the TAIL firmware and not with the MULTI, so one thing ticked off the list.

With the tail travel limits, as stated while you don't think they should be the way they are they work like this for my setup, which is using a different ESC and TX.
As above I will give you that the TAIL specific firmware can effect things and I did notice that I would have to give the tail a few seconds to stop, so made limit adjustments and then paused for them to take effect, so as to get the best possible limit values. This tactic gave me the figures you have seen and I have the ESC calibrated from the TX and not fixed points, which I have done so using the TX stick on power up of the tail ESC. So this will also effect where my travel points are ultimately.

Bottomline the tail is working for me now, it's smooth, responsive and held with nothing worrying. It's just the cyclics now.

Ian Contessa