It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 10:48:42

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed 02. Sep 2020 18:55:27 

Evening All.

I'd like to request a bug fix relating to the tail rotor control in a uSpirit.
Basically the tail motor will not start on application of throttle, requiring me to input some right rudder to do so before I take off. However it will start if the cyclic is moved and has started to run while I am carrying the model out to fly, which leads me to think that the software isn't looking for channel 1 (throttle) but is reacting to input from channel 2 (aileron, or other).
This theory is also reinforced each time I go into the settings to change the Geometry 6 degree tuning value, as the moment I click the check box the tail rotor goes to full power!

Likewise having just wired in the OpenTX Integration lead today, if I enter the Geometry 6 degree tuning via the Lua script, the tail also goes to full power. Being new to Spirit I have seen this already being mentioned and to my knowledge there has been no fix mentioned or released.

Ian Contessa

PostPosted: Sat 05. Sep 2020 9:13:03 
Site Admin

Hi,

thank you for the message.

The tail itself will start to rotate once a sufficient vibration level is detected (and also stick movements).
It look like in your case it does not work properly.

So we have made some improvements.

If you wish you can try our testing release:
http://spirit-system.com/dl/fw//spirit-fw-3.1.10.4df

Once throttle hold is disengaged tail rotor will start to spin at the Low RPM that is configured in the Servos/Subtrim menu - CH4.

I believe everything you mentioned will work properly now.

PostPosted: Sat 05. Sep 2020 9:47:34 

Hi ,

The idea was not to start motor when throttle hold is released, but to stop motor - under whatever condition - when throttle hold is active !!!
Same was to exclude tail motor from any servo adjustment menues, where currently tial motor start with full speed as ell.

br andreas

PostPosted: Sat 05. Sep 2020 9:53:51 
Site Admin

Yes, this apply for the firmware I linked. Have you tested it already?

The only menu where it is really needed is to set Rudder motor end points where you simply have to check this.

PostPosted: Sat 05. Sep 2020 10:53:56 

Hi,

sure, please check the menue in the software in combination with tail motor
- Geometry 6deg
- Cyclic ring
Here I am of the opinon, tail motor starts as well, which should not be the case.

PostPosted: Sat 05. Sep 2020 11:00:51 
Site Admin

Yes, we have checked it. With the firmware provided tail rotor should not start.
Did you try the firmware?

PostPosted: Sat 05. Sep 2020 17:56:33 

YES, and NO

YES, on 2 menue (Servos/Servo Travel Adjustment/setup AND Advanced/Geometry 6deg) items the tail motor do not start - which is correct.

NO, and this can be just a coincidence - when you try to set rudder limits, the signal is now too high. When you click to change parameter - motor is started with min 100% - which should not be the case. When you need more than 5seconds to change parameters, Tail-Motor is already damaged due to this high overload. So with this test I killed my motor and the ESC as well. But as said - this can be coincidence.
The aim of this setting should be to find the treshholds when motor start/stops. This can be done with "motor friendly" 25%-50% of signal as well.

PostPosted: Sat 05. Sep 2020 21:54:29 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hi,

thank you for the message.

The tail itself will start to rotate once a sufficient vibration level is detected (and also stick movements).
It look like in your case it does not work properly.

So we have made some improvements.

If you wish you can try our testing release:
http://spirit-system.com/dl/fw//spirit-fw-3.1.10.4df

Once throttle hold is disengaged tail rotor will start to spin at the Low RPM that is configured in the Servos/Subtrim menu - CH4.

I believe everything you mentioned will work properly now.

Good Evening.

Brilliant thank you, this is what I was hoping to see and I will flash and test this firmware tomorrow.

I will go over my settings again following the firmware flash, paying particular attention to the above points to make sure I have it all as required.

I'll report back as soon as I can.

Ian Contessa

PostPosted: Sun 06. Sep 2020 13:03:25 

Afternoon ZeXx86.

Once again thank you for this new firmware and I think we have fixed things so far very nicely, which is good to see.

I'm only in my back garden so far, so only hovering around, but have found out the major changes and improvements;

1. So far the tail motor is staying off when I am in throttle hold, or with the throttle stick simply at zero, which is great.

2. The tail motor now starts when I increase the throttle/collective stick to take off, without the need for me to move the tail or cyclic control to make it start, so this is great to. I have put the subtrim CH4 slider to 40.
I have some throttle channel delay (10s) up set in OpenTX to replicate a slow spoolup which I am lacking on the current main ESC choice, so I am seeing the tail start when it get's to a certain throttle out value which is great.

3. When entering the settings, either via the wired PC interface or using the OpenTX integration, the tail motor is staying off for me in the geometry 6 degree and cyclic ring setup parameters, so this is great to and makes it easier now for me to make changes from my TX in the garden safely.
Out of curiosity I did flick out of throttle hold when I am in either of the above settings and moved the throttle and rudder sticks and didn't see the tail starting, so that is another bonus.

4. Totally unrelated to the tail/throttle connection, but I am still having to keep the geometry 6 degree value at around 80 which measures at 3.2 degree's on the blades to avoid the elevator wobble. Not sure if something could be done there maybe to de-sensitise this value a bit more?
I have swapped out the middle swashplate control balls to raise the mechanical travel input to the grips in cyclic inputs, this has helped a bit with the overall value needed, but a bit more would be better I think. It's not easy to move the blade grip control ball inwards sadly, so not been able to try that which would also help with the high collective range slider position also which is up in at the 200 point.

Overall now much happier so thanks for your time and effort making these changes.
If I see anything worth mentioning I will post it, only thing I need to do now is still remove an elevaotr bounce following quick stab elevator inputs.

Ian Contessa

PostPosted: Sun 06. Sep 2020 18:29:29 

Hi, can you please check last item on my list and change end points of rudder as well.
This is just to ensure my observation is void, and was just bad luck when I performed the test.