It is currently Tue 16. Apr 2024 12:43:04

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Bugs
PostPosted: Thu 04. Dec 2014 14:15:02 

So far, I have found two bugs that need to be mentioned.

Up to now, while trying to fine tune my heli, I have saved the settings to the unit several dozen times. Five to ten of those times I got a very strange bug. At the moment I hit save, the servos, and especially the rudder one, started moving forth and back very fast, like if you had used ultra high gain and the tail runs like mad chasing itself and over-correcting in a really fast frequency. The effect is very intense and I think it could easily burn a servo if you leave it like that for several seconds. Only way to stop it, is to disconnect the unit from power. Nothing else works. What is even more dangerous is the fact that one of those times I had a crash due to that bug. For a strange reason, one of the times I hit save and while I didn't experience the bug at the moment, a couple seconds later that I started spooling up the heli, suddenly the bug took effect and this resulted to a chicken dance on the ground. This only happened once so I can't be 100% sure that happened due to the bug, but I'm pretty much sure it did though. I think that at least before correcting the bug there should be an addition in the manual with big red capital letters saying that EVERYTIME YOU SAVE SETTINGS YOU HAVE TO RE-INITIALIZE THE UNIT BEFORE FLYING. Yet I find it really strange that no one has mentioned this before. I have only used windows xp sp3 and cable to connect to the unit so far.

The next one, I'm not very sure it's a spirit bug. I t could also be an OpenTX one. I use Taranis running OpenTX version 2.0.12. and I connect to the unit using s.bus. OpenTx supports 3 types of failsafe: Hold, Stop pulses, Custom positions.
(c/p from the manual)
Failsafe mode: Allows choosing between simply holding the last received
positions, turning off pulses (like old PPM MHz receivers), or moving the servos to custom
predefined positions. For custom positions a SET field will call the failsafe settings page, where
the position can be defined separately for each channel. Select the desired channel, press
ENTER to get in edit mode, move the control to the desired position, and press ENTER to save. In
D8 mode this field is hidden, failsafe needs to be set on the receiver as described in the receiver's
manual.

I have chosen "custom" mode because I want to turn motor of, get the cyclic back to level, and move the pitch to zero degrees. When I checked it I noticed that it doesn't work as it should. It just cuts off the motor but it holds the last position for swashplate and pitch instead of moving back to zero. I know that it should work because it was working fine with my last fbl unit, the microbeast beastX.
There is something more I'd like to add that it may helps. I noticed that in order to calibrate Pitch in the diagnostics tab I had to add a subtrim of 6.0 from the Tx. Upon re-initialization it didn't seem to work as it should though, I mean I didn't have zero pitch at middle stick. Then a friend of mine had an idea. He told me that maybe upon connecting the battery (that rx and spirit power up simultaneously) the Tx tries to communicate the custom values(0.0 for pitch channel) for the failsafe to the Rx and at the same time the Spirit calibrates the channels and so it takes 0.0 as the center position while the correct value was 6.0. Indeed after changing the custom preset failsafe value for pitch from 0.0 to 6.0, I had zero pitch at the center of my throttle stick, nonetheless failsafe still is not working as it should. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Bugs
PostPosted: Thu 04. Dec 2014 14:24:33 
Site Admin

Hello,

I am very sorry for your troubles, this issue was intensively investigated and in 1.0.25.1 there was fix for other strange things with Tarantis.
Unfortunately we have found that OpenTX has incompatible implementation of the S-BUS protocol.
What firmware do you use?

PostPosted: Thu 04. Dec 2014 16:18:25 

I guess you are talking about the second bug. It's not so important I just thought I should report it. I can live with "last known position" failsafe. Of course it would be nice if we could find the reason for this and fix it. I'm willing to help and test in any case. I downloaded and installed 1.0.25.1 ASAP, because I was looking forward to test failsafe when I read "S-Bus improvements - better support for FrSky Tarantis protocol implementation." but unfortunately it wasn't fixed with these improvements. I wish better luck next time.

PostPosted: Thu 04. Dec 2014 16:33:27 
Site Admin

Be sure you are not using default failsafe values from Tarantis, you have to select own values at least for one channel.
These values are not suitable for S-Bus protocol at all, thats reason why Futaba does not support failsafe settings for all channels at all. There can't be zeros, because it can interfere and invalid data frame can be marked as valid.
Some users of Tarantis shared their settings here in thread where similar issues were reported, with latest version all reported issues were fixed for them.

I hope it helps you. If not, then please contact me.

PostPosted: Thu 04. Dec 2014 16:55:37 

I guess you are probably right, because throttle (which I've set to -100) does indeed work and the motor stops. Elevator and Aileron doesn't work and I've set them to zero. The strange part is that pitch won't work either and I've set it to 6.0 (which corresponds to zero angle for the blades). Anyway I'm going to investigate this a little more, asking help from others too and then if the problem persists I come back to you. The other bug though is really important and I think you should deal with it first and the addition to the manual should be done ASAP; it could save someone from a crash. Thanks again, George.

PostPosted: Thu 04. Dec 2014 17:16:44 

I had the same issues as you saw in the first problem, it is solved with version 1.0.25.1, Please ensure you have installed the latest firmware on the system.

Also, for the custom failsafes, mine are working perfectly. I have them set to 0 out all values except my banks and the throttle. It is displayed properly in the diagnostic screen when I test it (go to the diagnostic screen, turn off your Tx, and you should see the values move to where your custom failsafes are set).

If you are sure you have installed version 1.0.25.1 on both the Firmware AND the software then please post a video of what is happening.

I am running the same setup with 0 issues.

Also, please post your eepe file and I can look at it quick and your spirit file.

PostPosted: Thu 04. Dec 2014 17:36:57 
Site Admin

Latest version has self correcting mechanism for preventing saving issue, so it is interesting it is still occuring.

PostPosted: Thu 04. Dec 2014 18:03:32 

Please explain to me something. When I first set spirit and I was asked to use subtrim so that my mid throttle stick matches 0% in the pitch channel in the disgnostics tab, I had to use exactly 6.0 in the servo tab in Taranis. What is your value for that? And also what is your value for pitch in failsafe SET menu?

PostPosted: Thu 04. Dec 2014 19:34:59 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Latest version has self correcting mechanism for preventing saving issue, so it is interesting it is still occuring.

I can't confirm it is happening on .1
I can't be sure. I'm going to watch it from now on and if it happens again I notify you.

PostPosted: Thu 04. Dec 2014 19:36:25 
Site Admin

Perfect, thank you very much.