It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 20:32:40

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Bugs
PostPosted: Thu 04. Dec 2014 20:39:54 

nougiw wrote:
Please explain to me something. When I first set spirit and I was asked to use subtrim so that my mid throttle stick matches 0% in the pitch channel in the disgnostics tab, I had to use exactly 6.0 in the servo tab in Taranis. What is your value for that? And also what is your value for pitch in failsafe SET menu?

I attached my .eepe file so you can see all my settings. Just choose either the Gaui X3 or the Goblin 570 settings. Just delete the .txt extension

Attachments:
TaranisPlus Settings - Copy.eepe.txt [77.03 KiB]
Downloaded 91 times

PostPosted: Fri 05. Dec 2014 15:09:38 

How did you create this file? It says "Not a valid EEPROM file!" when I try to restore it via Bootloader. I just long press enter in the "version" tab and it creates a .bin file which you can then copy from sdcard and send it to me. But the file you sent me is .eepe and although I renamed it to .bin it's not recognized by Taranis.

Edit: Never mind, I opened it in the companion and I'm having a look right now...

Edit: ok, some things did seem strange to me. For example the fact that you have two "hold" switches and especially the fact that your SE hold works in an opposite than usual way; instead of pulling it down to kill the motor you have to push it up (if I got this right from testing it in companion). Also I notice that you use an extra switch for gyrogains. I've assigned both rpm and corresponding gyrogain value on SC, so I have 3 different rpm headspeeds with the appropriate gains correspondingly. I hope what I write makes sense. Anyway, these are personal more or less. let's get to the point. What I don't get is why you give 0.0 as a custom failsafe value for collective. When I did this and I went back to check the diagnostics tab, I had mid stick on Taranis (that means 6.0 in the "CHANNEL MONITOR" screen) but -6.0 in the diagnostics Pitch channel. At least that's what happened on 1.0.25. I can't really remember if I checked it again on 1.0.25.1 but I'll do it one of this days; I don't have the heli here with me right now, only Taranis. But I'd like you to check it for me in the meantime. Turn on Taranis, set you Th stick exactly in the middle, check CHANNEL MONITOR screen to be sure (you should be exactly at +6.0) and then connect to spirit and check your value in diagnostics tab. If it's 0 then everything is fine and I have to change my settings since 1.0.25.1 apparently fixed the problem, but if you see -6.0 then I'm afraid you are not set up very well... I'll check it too of course, but I hope you could do it faster than I will be able to, because I'm very curious and can't wait to see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat 06. Dec 2014 15:33:34 

ok, I just checked it. I hadn't set 0.0 by myself for Ele, Ail and Rud and that's why custom failsafe wasn't working. I had left it to default 0.0 which apparently isn't zero but null. Once I pressed on those channels and set 0.0 by myself, they are going to zero position upon testing failsafe. BUT your setting is not right. In order to have zero in diagnostics tab when you have your stick centered, you have to communicate to the failsafe custom values the exact amount of subtrim you have used on your pitch channel in Taranis (which happens to be 6.0 just like mine). If you don't do that, and you use 0.0 on failsafe then upon initialization the unit tries to calibrate itself and at the same time the Tx communicates to Rx the custom failsafe values and thus it takes 0.0 on the pitch for center and then due to the fact that you have set a subtrim of 6.0 you actuallly are seeing -6 in the diagnostics tab (or is it +6, I can't really recall) and you don't have zero angle in midstick. Of course the deviation is 0.5 degree more or less and it is not noticeable...

Last edited by nougiw on Sat 06. Dec 2014 18:50:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 06. Dec 2014 16:26:32 
Site Admin

Thanks for your info.

PostPosted: Mon 08. Dec 2014 4:09:29 

nougiw wrote:
How did you create this file? It says "Not a valid EEPROM file!" when I try to restore it via Bootloader. I just long press enter in the "version" tab and it creates a .bin file which you can then copy from sdcard and send it to me. But the file you sent me is .eepe and although I renamed it to .bin it's not recognized by Taranis.

Edit: Never mind, I opened it in the companion and I'm having a look right now...

Edit: ok, some things did seem strange to me. For example the fact that you have two "hold" switches and especially the fact that your SE hold works in an opposite than usual way; instead of pulling it down to kill the motor you have to push it up (if I got this right from testing it in companion). Also I notice that you use an extra switch for gyrogains. I've assigned both rpm and corresponding gyrogain value on SC, so I have 3 different rpm headspeeds with the appropriate gains correspondingly. I hope what I write makes sense. Anyway, these are personal more or less. let's get to the point. What I don't get is why you give 0.0 as a custom failsafe value for collective. When I did this and I went back to check the diagnostics tab, I had mid stick on Taranis (that means 6.0 in the "CHANNEL MONITOR" screen) but -6.0 in the diagnostics Pitch channel. At least that's what happened on 1.0.25. I can't really remember if I checked it again on 1.0.25.1 but I'll do it one of this days; I don't have the heli here with me right now, only Taranis. But I'd like you to check it for me in the meantime. Turn on Taranis, set you Th stick exactly in the middle, check CHANNEL MONITOR screen to be sure (you should be exactly at +6.0) and then connect to spirit and check your value in diagnostics tab. If it's 0 then everything is fine and I have to change my settings since 1.0.25.1 apparently fixed the problem, but if you see -6.0 then I'm afraid you are not set up very well... I'll check it too of course, but I hope you could do it faster than I will be able to, because I'm very curious and can't wait to see what happens.

I am away from home right now as I was at OHB and leave to go on a cruise tomorrow, however, When I tested my failsafes they worked perfect. My collective value of 0 shows exactly 0 on the diagnostic screen in the Spirit software and my pitch is set to 0 perfectly.

Also, I have 2 TH switches for a safety. I do not use a "normal mode" so I use 2 switches on different axis's of the Tx so if I bump one it is unlikely to bump the other. I HiGHLY recommend 2 TH switches for anyone not using a normal mode as it is very easy to accidentally bump 1 switch.

Also, the way the switches on the top of the Tx work, if you look at it from the top down, the "Up" is actually pushing the switch down when you have it flat. That is how I prefer to work my switches on top of the Tx and why it is set that way.

Finally, I separate my tail gains on purpose since I run 6s and 4s. This allows me to adjust them with a different and not have to change my throttle input settings. Personal preference, but, i prefer to have it separate since I have plenty of switches to choose. I also find that sometimes I have to change the gain depending on how I fly, even with a lower HS. If I do more over-speeds I like to lower it without changing the HS. This gives me that advantage without having it locked into a set throttle curve.

It is all preference, but, I highly recommend 2 throttle holds if you don't use a normal mode.

PostPosted: Mon 08. Dec 2014 14:05:18 

Thank you very much on the Th hold info, but what I'm most interested at the time is this:

Jman841 wrote:

When I tested my failsafes they worked perfect. My collective value of 0 shows exactly 0 on the diagnostic screen in the Spirit software and my pitch is set to 0 perfectly.

After my last settings my custom failsafe setup works fine too. My heli is not complete at the moment due to a crash I had but last time it was, in order to have pitch 0 AND diagnostics screen pitch 0 I had to use subtrim 6.0 like you also did but custom pitch failsafe value 6.0 and not 0.0 like you did. I can't re-check this now because I'm changing head in my heli and I'm expecting the new one to arrive but I will check it first think when I set the heli again. In the meantime I'd like you to double check it for me if it's not very hard for you. That's when you are back of course. Have a nice holiday!!

PostPosted: Mon 08. Dec 2014 16:54:21 

Sure, I def will when I get back. I do have subtrim set for the collective, but, not in the fail safe screen. I'll be back on Saturday and will check for you then!

PostPosted: Wed 17. Dec 2014 18:18:21 

ok, I checked it today. It is corrected indeed. Upon initialize of the spirit it doesn't use the failsafe values to calibrate the pitch channel. So you can use for example +70% or -80% or whatever you want for failsafe and your midstick position will still be zero pitch. What is wrong in your setup is that you give 0 at failsafe's pitch. Power up Taranis, plug the battery in the heli and put your left stick at +6.0 (this is where you have 0 degrees according to your setup). Now turn off Taranis and you'll notice a very tiny movement of the swashplate downwards. That's because you have set 0 at failsafe. But zero in pitch channel monitor is not zero on the blades because we both use a subtrim of 6.0 in Taranis. So give failsafe a value of 6.0 too and now your rotor would go to zero degrees exactly when failsafe is activated.
Anyway it doesn't make such a difference. With your current setup you should have -0.72 degrees on the rotor when you go into failsafe (supposing you use a range of -12 to +12). No big deal...

PostPosted: Thu 18. Dec 2014 14:09:33 

nougiw wrote:
ZeXx86 wrote:
Latest version has self correcting mechanism for preventing saving issue, so it is interesting it is still occuring.

I can't confirm it is happening on .1
I can't be sure. I'm going to watch it from now on and if it happens again I notify you.

I confirm that the known issue happened again although I'm running 1.0.25.1
Yesterday, one of the times I hit save the familiar jerk movement of the tail servo started. It took me ~30 seconds to find my mobile, open camera app and film a 10s short video. In this interval the tail servo went up to more than 61 Celsius; checked with and infrared temperature gauge. The grease from inside had already begun smelling as it was getting too hot. I can send the video upon request. Please before anything else update the manual with warnings "Do not fly without re-initialize upon disconnecting spirit from software".

PostPosted: Thu 18. Dec 2014 15:08:20 

nougiw wrote:
nougiw wrote:
ZeXx86 wrote:
Latest version has self correcting mechanism for preventing saving issue, so it is interesting it is still occuring.

I can't confirm it is happening on .1
I can't be sure. I'm going to watch it from now on and if it happens again I notify you.

I confirm that the known issue happened again although I'm running 1.0.25.1
Yesterday, one of the times I hit save the familiar jerk movement of the tail servo started. It took me ~30 seconds to find my mobile, open camera app and film a 10s short video. In this interval the tail servo went up to more than 61 Celsius; checked with and infrared temperature gauge. The grease from inside had already begun smelling as it was getting too hot. I can send the video upon request. Please before anything else update the manual with warnings "Do not fly without re-initialize upon disconnecting spirit from software".

Yikes, I would not let the servo go for that long. I did a full resetup of my Goblin 600 last night and did not have a single issue. A few times it froze, but, regained normal function after a few moments. Never did it have the twitching issue. Very weird.