It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 22:23:43

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu 17. Oct 2019 10:40:44 

This is so big change that I don't thing it will ever be implemented :) But I throw it in here anyway. Just to make you aware of a problem.

Maybe just integration in the radio could be improved.

Spirit has a lot of parameters to adjust, which fall into 2 groups:
- "SETUP" - these dependent on heli mechanics or electrics (for example servo frequency)
- "SETTING" (or preferences) - these which are preferences of the pilot (for example flight style).

Parameters in the first group are set at initial build, after rebuilding, after changing components (different servos for example) etc., after maintenance (for example rudder end points adjustment after correcting tail belt tension). You rather don't touch them during flying at the field. Wrong value of some of these parameters can result in serious problems (servo reversed, collective direction reversed, tail rotor direction set wrong.. -- these would cause serious damage).

Second group are parameters which are tweaked to have heli fly better, or which are a matter of preferences of a pilot. You sometimes want to change them in the field. These are things like flight style, rotation rates, deadband..

However in Spirit this is all mixed together. Things like rotation rates, flight style - which are pilot preferences, are there right next to servo frequencies, servo reverse, collective direction etc.

You come to the software to change cyclic rotation rate, but you are just one click away of reversing some servo direction and crashing your heli next time you're flying. This makes me feel so scared and careful using the software. Anytime I change a simple setting in Spirit, I make sure that my cyclic is moving in correct direction, rudder is not reversed etc. I didn't change these things, but they are there and one error in clicking can make huge damage.

Do you really want to change your servo frequency or FBL position, or reverse a servo at the flying field between flights? I don't thing so..

In my opinion, all settings should be split into these 2 groups. And they should be accessed in 2 different places. Cause these are really 2 different things, which are mixed together now.

In Windows software you could have only settings from the 2nd group displayed. And you would need to make an extra step (click "Mechanical Setup..." button for example) to show a window with setup settings.

In OpenTX you would have separate scripts for these 2 groups.

A division could be like this:

Setup
- [General] --> FBL Position, Swashplate type, Receiver type
- Governor --> Throttle frequency, Gear Ratio
- [Servos] --> everything
- [Limits] --> Rudder end points
- [Stabi] --> Flybar mechanic
- [Advanced] --> Geometry 6
- [Advanced] --> Collective Direction reverse
- [Advanced] --> Telemetry settings --> all
- [Advanced] --> Expert Settings --> Rotor Rotation Direction

Settings / Preferences
- [General] --> Flight Style
- [Sensor] --> Rotation Speed (cyclic, rudder)
- [Sensor] --> Sensitivity
- [Limits] --> collective range, cyclic range
- [Stabi] --> all except "Flybar mechanic"
- [Advanced] --> Expert Settings --> all except rotor rotation direction

In some projects I've been working on, sometimes some parameters belong to both categories and there's some doubt - should it be here or there. And user might get confused where to look for some particular setting.

But in Spirit there's very little doubt. Any parameter you thing about naturally falls into this or that category. It would be a very clear division.

I don't know how other FBLs have it, as I only use Spirit, but who cares. If they have it mixed too, then Spirit could be better and at another level.

PostPosted: Fri 26. Jun 2020 11:31:56 

I agree. I managed to change my swash type by accident. I think it was a combination of mouse scroll and the auto-save feature. We all know what happens next. ( erm... do your pre-flight checks! )
Anyway.....

The openTX integration could be split into system and user settings as separate lua scripts. I'd imagine this would be relatively easy and anyone who knows lua could do it and send it to spirit to validate?

Last edited by jjuk on Thu 30. Jul 2020 20:37:56, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri 26. Jun 2020 17:56:40 

Yeah, I recently found my tail servo was set to 333 Hz instead of 560 Hz. Luckily this doesn't cause problems. But I have no idea when it got changed. Must be by accident, while using OpenTX scripts.