It is currently Sun 05. May 2024 19:50:08

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Vibration with nitro
PostPosted: Mon 14. Nov 2022 4:53:24 

Hello group,

Today I tried to re-maiden a Synergy N5c with a newly installed GTR.

I didn’t leave the ground. I cut throttle during spool up in three unsuccessful attempts. Spool up with Spirit gov seemed successful. It’s just that the swash would begin to tip (roll left and forward). Took full negative collective to keep the Heli planted without tip over.

In all three instances I noticed vibes percentages 130-140 %

Assuming I have some issues. My question mainly is… what it the maximum percent for vibration that the unit can handle before flight is not possible?

I will try to address the vibration with more Futaba soft foam FBL mounting tape. Next will be checking the motor and clutch.

I last flew the model about a month ago, but with a Brain2 HD. No issues with the Brain. And no changes to the model other than the FBL swap to Spirit. I don’t think it’s a Spirit problem, probably a parameter issue on my part.

No stabilization parameters are set or configured. Setup went smoothly according to the wizard. Servos and linkages move correct.

Vibrations were high on grass… it was cold outside… 1-2 degrees Celsius… 33-35F

Motor was a little rough at first, while getting the mixture dialed in for the cold air. Had to richen the fuel for denser air. Once the motor smoothed out, I tried to spool up with the Spirit governor and ran into issues with the swash tipping.

Motor main bearing is due. I might just rebuild the motor and try again in the spring.

Post subject: Re: Vibration with nitro
PostPosted: Mon 14. Nov 2022 10:27:45 
Site Admin

Hello,

make sure to not move with the sticks at all once motor is running. The swashplate will remain in position where it is set and will not return to the center - when motor is running.
Swashplate must be always level before spoolup.

Also make sure that nothing is touching the unit, especially cables and connectors and that supplied double sided tape is used - only single layer.

PostPosted: Mon 14. Nov 2022 13:45:16 

Thanks Zexx86. I don’t normally touch the cyclic at all during spool up. Collective… maybe. I’ll try it again with a little negative pitch and my eyes closed. Lol.

I’ve used the soft tape on my Axon’s and Brains with great success on nitros and some older models with torque tube issues.

One other possibility is that the antennas might be resonant during spool up. I have it oriented in a generous 180 loop… maybe it needs to be tied down better.

PostPosted: Mon 14. Nov 2022 20:22:06 
Site Admin

Soft tape is not recommended with Spirit.
Spirit is made of aluminium so it is heavier and soft tape will have negative impact.
So always use our tape if possible.

PostPosted: Mon 14. Nov 2022 21:12:23 

Ok. Will do!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro