It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024 11:06:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Migrating to OpenTX
PostPosted: Sun 26. Sep 2021 4:29:23 

Hello all,

After having lost all my equipment at the beginning of the year in a house fire I am starting over... My old radio and equipment all gone, so I decided to start over with a Taranis Q X7S which is so different than my very old JR radio it's scary.... I feel lost and overwhelmed...setting up the radio seems super complicated...

Anyway, I simply want to get the transmitter to work with my uSpirit and get the radio setup where it can talk to the Spirit app and I think I'll be fine...

I have updated the FW on the TX setup an SD card for it and updated the bootloader.... I also downloaded the X7 OTX file....

The Rx is a R9 Slim+

Any suggestions would be much appreciated... As I continue I will update...

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Migrating to OpenTX
PostPosted: Sun 26. Sep 2021 5:28:06 

Well I tried to add the OTX file to the radio and it seems to have worked but the radio still displays another model that I had tried to add previously...not the new file with the model name "Spirit FBL" I really have no idea what I'm doing...

I don't see the new Spirit model on the radio, only an older name I added still there in slot 1.. and don't know why... There is no option to delete it and that model doesn't appear in the OpenTX application in Windows... It's insanely complicated, at least it seems so...

I can read the model back to the windows app "Spirit FBL" and there is no sign of the model name that still shows on the radio, yet on the radio there is no sign of "Spirit FBL" ... This is going about how I expected, not well...

PostPosted: Mon 27. Sep 2021 7:55:03 

So you loaded the otx in companion?
Usually you load the models from the radio (plug in, select SD-CARD on radio, read models in companion)
then you also load the .otx file. You should have two windows, one your radio and one with the otx model. You then do a copy and paste to the radio models. And last step is to write the models to the radio

PostPosted: Tue 28. Sep 2021 0:56:35 

jasc wrote:
So you loaded the otx in companion?
Usually you load the models from the radio (plug in, select SD-CARD on radio, read models in companion)
then you also load the .otx file. You should have two windows, one your radio and one with the otx model. You then do a copy and paste to the radio models. And last step is to write the models to the radio

Well I can load the models into companion but it only sees the one I uploaded from the software which I can't see in the radio menu... It's so complicated just to explain how it doesn't work.... I started to create a model in the radio and I see that when the radio starts but I don't see that when I load models into the companion... I can't stand the whole process honestly a billion things to learn and all I want to do is fly... My old JR radio was just fine and easy to setup...

I'll have to start over and wait until I have time... I work most of the time and don't have the time or patience to figure all this out... I didn't realize the world of radios had become so convoluted...at least for me...

PostPosted: Tue 28. Sep 2021 6:52:36 

Trondyne wrote:

Well I can load the models into companion but it only sees the one I uploaded from the software which I can't see in the radio menu... It's so complicated just to explain how it doesn't work.... I started to create a model in the radio and I see that when the radio starts but I don't see that when I load models into the companion... I can't stand the whole process honestly a billion things to learn and all I want to do is fly... My old JR radio was just fine and easy to setup...

Hmm....
Sure, OpenTX is special, because it has so much freedom in the setup, it makes it more complicated to start.
Maybe this video helps. What you want to do is almost the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI-6UTejXO0 .

PostPosted: Wed 29. Sep 2021 1:26:28 

jasc wrote:
Trondyne wrote:

Hmm....
Sure, OpenTX is special, because it has so much freedom in the setup, it makes it more complicated to start.
Maybe this video helps. What you want to do is almost the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI-6UTejXO0 .

I'll take a look thanks...

I would assume that the OTX file made for Spirit would work, no? Just a matter of setting that model up to work with my model...?

PostPosted: Wed 29. Sep 2021 9:51:51 

Trondyne wrote:

I'll take a look thanks...

I would assume that the OTX file made for Spirit would work, no? Just a matter of setting that model up to work with my model...?

afaik OTX files are specific to a certain radio (because of switches and stuff) but companion usually displays a warning and copies them anyway. You have to check afterwards all switches are as you like them.

I added my spirit2 model otx file (from edgetx but maybe it works). It should give you a starting point. But also has some personal specialities of course (2 switch arming with throttle low check, gyro adjustment with Trim5). Thats the beauty (and the downside) of OTX, there are a lot of ways you can do stuff
Attachment:
logo_spirit2.otx [1.08 KiB]
Downloaded 95 times

PostPosted: Wed 29. Sep 2021 11:23:48 

take a look at this for open tx:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2753

also not sure what display the X7S has, but if it is the same "small" version as the x-lite then the spirit lua scripts will not work, they are designed for open-tx screens with the "full resolution":
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4577&hilit=lite

and depending on your spirit unit you may want an integration cable: https://store.spirit-system.com/en/acce ... cable.html
also depending on the unit you could use f-port instead of sbus: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4276
(afaik implemented for GT units)

PostPosted: Fri 01. Oct 2021 5:22:49 

ALFi wrote:
take a look at this for open tx:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2753

also not sure what display the X7S has, but if it is the same "small" version as the x-lite then the spirit lua scripts will not work, they are designed for open-tx screens with the "full resolution":
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4577&hilit=lite

and depending on your spirit unit you may want an integration cable: https://store.spirit-system.com/en/acce ... cable.html
also depending on the unit you could use f-port instead of sbus: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4276
(afaik implemented for GT units)

Not sure what the full or not full size is... The OTX file I think was for the X7 which is essentially the same radio... I don't care which switches are used etc yet just want to get the thing to talk to the receiver and the receiver to Spirit...

The Receiver is the R9 Slim+ Do I need an integration cable for this? I thought Spirit works with the protocols this receiver has...

I am so exhausted when I get off work I don't have much left to do this stuff... I will be trying to get something done this weekend... Thanks for the replies...

PostPosted: Fri 01. Oct 2021 12:19:00 

Quote:
The Receiver is the R9 Slim+ Do I need an integration cable for this? I thought Spirit works with the protocols this receiver has...

you know the online manual?
there are pictures on how to connect the units: http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... S_RECEIVER
just reread you post, you have an uspirit, according to the manual you dont need the s-buss inverter cable.
looking at a picture of the R9 slim it has an s-buss out, so wiring should be done according to the pictures in the manual.
install latest firmware, run the setup, select s-buss, should work that way, should get you in the air

Trondyne wrote:
Not sure what the full or not full size is... The OTX file I think was for the X7 which is essentially the same radio... I don't care which switches are used etc yet just want to get the thing to talk to the receiver and the receiver to Spirit...

x7, x7s and x-lite have a resolution of: 128*64
well just load the lua files onto your tx and try to start them, if they error out...
my last try was a few months ago and it did not work for me..

the optional integration cable has two usages:
- setup / adjust settings on the spirit unit right from your tx
(i dont know about you, but i usually dont touch the units after the first 2-3 setup flights.. so for me.. it is nice to have but can live just fine without it... and do the settings from a pc)
- get telemetrie data out of the spirit to your TX
usuefull to see vibrations / debug your heli in case of bad flight performance
if you have a supportet ESC you can pass trough rpm / mah usage / current / temp....
(see list of supportet esx and features: http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... orted_ESCs)

anyway on the integration guide in the manual i dont see the uspirit listed, could be that the small unit does not have enough ports.. so this might be not an option for you after all.
i dont own a uspirit so cant say for sure...