It is currently Sun 16. Jun 2024 6:55:55

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Spirit Fine tuning
PostPosted: Tue 26. Aug 2014 20:43:37 

Now that I have been flying the Spirit for a while I am going to start the fine tuning process.

I have adjusted the flight style form 4 to 5. I did not like this as it felt too disconnected. I moved it down to 3 and like it. 4 feels very nice but 3 gives it a bit more direct feel. What does this parameter control? Is it just paddle sim or is there other things like expo mixed into the flight style parameter?

I am also noticing a slight dolphin/pitch up then down when I do FFF then pitch up hard into a big loop. What parameter should I adjust to fix this?

What other parameters should I adjust to make the heli feel different? And can someone explain in detail what the paramters actually do? (Adds expo, increase/decrese paddle sim, adds precomp, etc.)

Also, is there a parameter like the V-Bar has where slow movements on the sticks are smooth slow movements in the heli, however, rapid movements on the sticks make the heli more direct and quick? I forget what the parameter is called in Vstabi.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Spirit Fine tuning
PostPosted: Tue 26. Aug 2014 21:03:24 
Site Admin

Great, thanks for the info.

Flight style changes sticks feel - higher values should give you more natural feeling.
There are no expo at all built in into the unit. Actually decay rate of the cyclic is changing.
With higher values helicopter steering is not so linear, also quick movements are more visible. It is good for harder 3D.
Your helicopter can be smooth around sticks center but can react very agressively.

To achieve direct feeling you should use cyclic feed forward, this should cause very noticeable changes.

With such parameters you can achieve very different feeling. From very smooth to very agressive or both at the same time.

For FFF problem, it seems as there is not enough Cyclic Ring range. You can try to increase it.

PostPosted: Tue 26. Aug 2014 21:30:22 

Ah, ok. I may try bumping the flight style back to 5 again. So fly style acts similar to the v-bar's parameter I was mentioning. Sorry I can't remeber what they call it. But basically slow movements give it slow responses and quick stick movements give it even faster responses.

I will try messing around with the other parameters.

I have a very large cyclic ring, the servos are almost completely vertical with no binding. Should I try adding some points to the elevator pitch up value?

PostPosted: Tue 26. Aug 2014 21:32:31 
Site Admin

Yes, you can try it.
Also try to check your CG.

PostPosted: Thu 28. Aug 2014 0:36:53 

Ok, i have found that flight style 4 and cyclic feed forward of 6 is what I prefer so far.

I still have a bit of a dolphin effect during big loops, even with the elevator pitch up comp on 1. I looked at the longs and it does not state cyclic ring limit reached so I do not suspect it is a cyclic ring issue. Also, it didn't happen with the mini v-bar. I will try adjusting things further, it only happens on the upward portion of the loop after I start to reduce the elevator after the initial pitch up.

PostPosted: Thu 28. Aug 2014 6:45:35 

Did you try to increase head gain ? It can help too.

PostPosted: Thu 28. Aug 2014 20:54:49 

I will try that next, thanks for the insight!

My headgain might actually be a bit too high, that would explain it as well.

PostPosted: Mon 08. Sep 2014 6:22:18 

Now that I have it tuned how I like the feel, I am noticing a High cyclic gain jump/wobble on hard stops.

What parameter should I adjust to help with this? Just lower the cyclic gain or is there another parameter that would be better to adjust?

PostPosted: Mon 08. Sep 2014 6:48:52 

Found the elevator filter. Also noticed I had elevator pitch up on 1, Going to bump it back down to 0 and increase the elevator filter to 1 and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon 08. Sep 2014 10:46:42 

Jman841 wrote:
Found the elevator filter. Also noticed I had elevator pitch up on 1, Going to bump it back down to 0 and increase the elevator filter to 1 and see how it goes.

Keen to hear about this as I still have some porpoising in FFF particularly if it is windy