It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024 8:27:04

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Compass 6HVU Setup
PostPosted: Sun 17. Aug 2014 0:28:37 

I got the spirit all set up on my Compass 6HVU and did some test flying. the only thing I am running into is there is a slight drift to the right during piros. In order to fix this, should I increase the piro consistency or reduce it?

Also, I have still having no tail wag at 75% tail gain, What typical tail gains are used for a 600 class heli?

Any other tips for setting up a 600 size heli with a driverless head?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Compass 6HVU Setup
PostPosted: Sun 17. Aug 2014 8:19:21 
Site Admin

If there is a drift during stationary pirouettes you can check if cyclic is perfectly flat when Servos/Subtrim (tuning) is enabled in the software. If configured with Cyclic Leveler, then it has to be good.
If so, it could be (and mostly is) caused by wrong piro optimization settings.

If piro optimization is OK, then you can check if the unit is aligned to each axis.
And last option it could be caused probably by already mentioned WR BEC noise, you should see errors in the log right after a flight.
Or you can just try this:
1. start your transmitter and the BEC
2. move with the sticks for a while (cca 1-2 minutes as if you simulate a flight)
3. then connect the unit to PC and start the software
4. check your Flight log for any errors.

You can see in this video how it should work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1yTBg9 ... kiZdA#t=21
And this is 450 size heli and very early version of the unit. Today it should work even better.

Tail gain is for 600-size heli mostly around 70% with 1.3x gain multiplier, so final tail gain is around 90-100%.
But this is very individual for each helicopter mechanics.

PostPosted: Sun 17. Aug 2014 8:47:02 

Ok, I will confirm the swash is perfect and check for noise issues. Unfortunetally one of the Track-x blade grip to swash links let go during flight today so the 6HVU is now needing to be fixed as well.

Man, Finally got the spirit working so well and no more dumb thumb crashes, however, 2 mechanical failures in 2 days! not a good weekend.

I will adjust the gain settings as well for the tail. Not sure if I had the 1.3x booster on.

I moved the piro comp down to 170 from the logo 600 preset of 180 and it seemed to have fixed the drifting issue. Would that help at all?

PostPosted: Sun 17. Aug 2014 11:12:11 
Site Admin

Oh, thats not good.

Piro consistency parameter is to set head-lock gain or also known as I-term of a regulation.
So this does not affect stationary pirouetting performance at all.

But it depends what do you mean exactly with a pirouette drift.
I call a pirouette drift when helicopter is drifting during for example rudder stick to max - so stationary piros are not at the flick.
Normally it should not drift at all even in a wind.

But if the tail is not holding well during colective pumps even with too high gain, it needs to increase piro consistency parameter.

PostPosted: Sun 17. Aug 2014 18:51:14 

that makes sense. Yes, in terms of piro drift we are talking about the same thing.

Once it gets back up in the air I will check it again. I could of been a swash setup issue.

The other problem I was having is when I went to the servo trim/limit adjustment. It did not change the max or min values of servo travel. I tried all 3 cyclic servos and moved it + and - 100% in the spirit software yet it did not change the amount of servo throw.

PostPosted: Sun 17. Aug 2014 19:15:24 
Site Admin

If you are talking about Servo travel adjustment, then you should know if your collective channel is reversed in the diagnostics.
If so, then Minimum slider group is for positive collective.
You can see easily changes for example in case you just set the collective to full deflection and then move with the sliders.
There should be improvements in this area in new software to make it more intuitive and easier.

PostPosted: Sun 17. Aug 2014 21:20:26 

Awesome,

The issue I was having is that was not the case. I would put the collective at full pitch and adjust the sliders, however, the servos would not move. Not exactly sure as to why they were not moving.