It is currently Sat 11. May 2024 16:20:25

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Cyclic Ring Question
PostPosted: Wed 13. Aug 2014 7:38:09 

So I went through the manual carefully and read it a few times to understand what each parameter in all the tabs is for. I have now set up my X3 further after todays flight testing which went incredibly well!

The only things I noticed was the tail would kick a bit during pitch pumps (I think revomix will help with this.) Piro's were not 100% stationary, they would drift a tiny bit, and the rescue was not climbing straight up, always at a slight angle. I made some adjustments and hope all these problems are resolved.

For the Cyclic ring, from my understanding, I want to increase it until I get mechanical binding correct?

On my Gaui X3 this number is very high. I have 13 degree's of pitch already programmed in and when I go full negative and go through all cyclic motions and full positive all cyclic motions and neutral I don't get any servo buzz even at 180 and greater.

I decided to set it to 175 for cyclic ring as the servos are almost maxed out to complete vertical, however, I do not see any mechanical binding or hear any servo buzz. Again, I checked all ranges of motion at every level of pitch.

Am I doing this correctly?

Post subject: Re: Cyclic Ring Question
PostPosted: Wed 13. Aug 2014 9:16:54 
Site Admin

Hello,

you can leave 175 value without any issue.

For the rescue it is very important to set up piro optimization in a correct direction.
In case of wrong settings it will drift and also your rescue will not work as should.
Also be sure the unit is mounted paralelly as perfectly as possible to all axes.

For the rudder it should be enough to increase Piro consistency, you can start with for example 170 value.
In case of Spirit revomix is rather used as a last option - it should work without it if all is OK.

PostPosted: Wed 13. Aug 2014 20:37:57 

ok excellent. I am positive the piro comp is in the correct direction. I changed it to reverse. If it was backwards I think the piros would cause the heli to go in many directions. It drifts just slightly during piros.

I made the recommended changes and I upped the cyclic ring quite a bit from the stock settings from the Mini Protos. I will test it again today and increase the cyclic ring more later to its actual limits. The limits might end up being the servo being completely vertical. The cyclic setup on the X3 and servo geometry is excellent.

I also realized my tail gyro (CH 5) was not centered properly int he software. I fixed it and upped the gyro gain. I will mess with it today to see where the limit is and I begin to get tail wag. I will back off a bit from there. I expect nothing but improved results from increasing the tail gain. It was only at 45% yesterday and the tail was awesome! Can't wait to see what it will do with an increased gain!

I may have put the unit a bit too far back into the gyro mounting tray. I noticed there was a small bump on the back of it. That may be causing the issues. I will remount it when the next unit arrives to use the extra mounting pads.

Is 1 mounting pad sufficient? I was using 2 of them but was not sure if 1 was more than enough?

PostPosted: Wed 13. Aug 2014 20:48:58 
Site Admin

Thanks for the info!

I recommend to use only 1 else it can cause a problems.
It is better that the unit is mounted as stiff as possible.
The unit should be mounted in the way it can't move nearly at all.

I can say the piro optimization performance directly affects bailout precision.
I don't know exact reason why it is not performing as it should - pirouettes should be very, very stationary without any drift even for 450 heli.

PostPosted: Wed 13. Aug 2014 21:00:56 

Ah ok, I will change out the mounting pads soon as the new one arrives.

I think the issue is when I mounted the gyro as far back as i could, there was a slight bump on the back side of the mounting tray. It may have caused the Spirit to be mounted at a very slight angle facing the tail. This would make sense as the gyro is not perfectly aligned with the heli.

I will remount it once my next one arrives and only use 1 pad.

Thanks for the input!

PostPosted: Wed 13. Aug 2014 22:52:20 
Site Admin

Great, this could solve your issue.

The unit has to be nearly rock solid to get the best results.
In case the unit can move it can cause that a helicopter is rather bouncy.

PostPosted: Thu 14. Aug 2014 1:30:57 

After further inspection it seems to be very level. I will still switch it out and move it forward when my next unit arrives and use just 1 mounting pad.

I have it flying near perfect now, piros are awesome and no more tail kick. The issue was my tail gain was Way to low.

I found 60% to be just about perfect. What gain settings are typical for a 450 class heli?

Also, the bailout goes straight up when the heli is stationary. If the heli is moving when I hit it it will continue to drift in that direction as it bails out. Is this correct? I am assuming so since it is punching out perfectly flat it will continue to move in the same direction it was before it was hit.

Thanks as always Tomas!

PostPosted: Fri 15. Aug 2014 0:14:55 
Site Admin

Thanks for the info.

Yes, you are right. The default settings allows you to control helicopter to specified degree during rescue too.

Typical tail gain is mostly somewhere between 60 - 75%.

PostPosted: Fri 15. Aug 2014 4:58:51 

awesome, I am assuming that the higher the headspeed of the heli the lower the tail gains should be? This is how my mini v-bar works and i assume it is the same as it is a control loop?

So my X3 is perfect at 60, however, my larger helis with lower headspeeds will probably need a higher tail gain?

PostPosted: Fri 15. Aug 2014 9:37:17 
Site Admin

Jman841 wrote:
awesome, I am assuming that the higher the headspeed of the heli the lower the tail gains should be? This is how my mini v-bar works and i assume it is the same as it is a control loop?

So my X3 is perfect at 60, however, my larger helis with lower headspeeds will probably need a higher tail gain?

Larger helicopters need a higher tail gain. You should always find a tail gain that works for all situations good.
For example on my helicopters I can use 1 tail gain for a wide range of RPM and at any speed.