It is currently Sun 12. May 2024 17:12:52

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu 17. Sep 2015 15:17:38 

This is my first time to post in this forum. English is my second language. So, If I cannot express myself clear enough, please let me know :) .

I was trying to sort out the tail stopping behavior on my 450L yesterday. I had the Heli up for several fast left and right pirouettes and then stopped the motor and connected the Spirit FBL Unit to a lap computer to alter both the left and right Rudder Limits and increased the Rudder Delay. Saved the settings to the Unit and went up again. I did not disconnect the battery to reset the Unit nor test the Rescue Mode before I spin up the motor this time (I tested the Rescue Mode in the beginning of the flight as I always did). After completed several fast left and right pirouettes and some general fly around, I brought the Heli to a 3-foot, tail-in, upright hover. I decided to test the climb rate of the Rescue Mode so I hit the Switch on my Tx. To my very surprise :shock: , the Heli flipped itself UP-SIDE-DOWN and accelerated towards the ground INVERTED :shock: I was shocked :shock: and there was not enough time for me to react; the Heli CRASHED :x :cry: .

After the crash, I picked up the Heli and placed it with its skids on the ground (upright) and tested the Rescue Mode again (certainly, the motor was off at the time). The Unit gave FULL forward elevator as if it was trying to turn the Heli to an inverted orientation. I reconfirmed this by activating the Switch several times and the results were the same. The Unit seemed to have mixed up the Upright and Inverted orientations at some stage during this flight.

I discounted and re-plugged the battery to reset the Unit. This time, the Rescue Mode reacted normally.

The Rescue Mode setting in my Unit is 'Rescue normal' and the Pirouette Optimization has been set correctly. In fact, I have been flying the Spirit on this Heli for over 20 flights and the Rescue Mode had worked many times before this flight. I had not altered the Rescue Mode setting nor other settings apart from the Rudder Limits and Rudder Delay.

What had I done wrong to cause this problem??? :? What should I do to prevent it from happening again??? :?

One good point is that the Rescue Mode was very quick and the height loss was minimal. It flipped over my Heli within 3 feet with good margin ;) .

When I have fixed my Heli, I will, certainly, try and see if I can repeat this problem again.

In the meantime, I hope I can find out more from you guys :) . Please help! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu 17. Sep 2015 15:24:38 
Site Admin

Hello,

sorry to hear about your problem. I hope you will fix it soon and everything will be OK.

I have to ask, if your helicopter was tilted longer time to some side during settings you have made?

Especially if your helicopter is lying on the side (90°), it can be very bad for the rescue.
This can be the reason why it happened.

PostPosted: Thu 17. Sep 2015 15:33:33 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hello,

sorry to hear about your problem. I hope you will fix it soon and everything will be OK.

I have to ask, if your helicopter was tilted longer time to some side during settings you have made?

Especially if your helicopter is lying on the side (90°), it can be very bad for the rescue.
This can be the reason why it happened.

Hi Tomas, my Heli was upright (Skids on the ground) all the times when the Unit was connected to the computer. As far as I can recall, the Heli was upright almost all the times; I carried it to and from the field by holding the rotor head.

PostPosted: Thu 17. Sep 2015 15:44:00 
Site Admin

Good.

Do you think you can record your swashplate with at least 180° degree turn of the helicopter with enabled Pirouette Optimization (tuning)?
We can recheck if is OK for 100%. Unfortunately there are cases, that you will configure it correctly, but after further settings something may change (e.g. sensor reverse for the rudder) and then it can work in the opposite way.

So then we can be perfectly sure, if it is OK now.

If the helicopter was tilted to max. 45° then it shouldn't be reason for such problem.
If it is not laying for the longer time in non upright position even upside down, then it is not a problem too.

PostPosted: Thu 17. Sep 2015 16:11:28 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Good.

Do you think you can record your swashplate with at least 180° degree turn of the helicopter with enabled Pirouette Optimization (tuning)?
We can recheck if is OK for 100%. Unfortunately there are cases, that you will configure it correctly, but after further settings something may change (e.g. sensor reverse for the rudder) and then it can work in the opposite way.

So then we can be perfectly sure, if it is OK now.

If the helicopter was tilted to max. 45° then it shouldn't be reason for such problem.
If it is not laying for the longer time in non upright position even upside down, then it is not a problem too.

Thank you for the answer.

Two of the servo horns were broken; I will try to get it fixed and post a video. It's close to mid-night here; if I cannot get it done tonight, it will be tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu 17. Sep 2015 18:40:06 

Hi Tomas, I managed to take a video and the Link has been sent to you via PM.

PostPosted: Thu 17. Sep 2015 18:51:38 
Site Admin

Thank you very much. I have responded to you.

PostPosted: Thu 17. Sep 2015 21:39:15 

The Spirit will sometimes glitch when changing settings, especially when updating firmware. My advice is to always reboot the Spirit after changes. I got into the habit of landing after a flight, make my Bluetooth changes, then disconnect and reconnect with a new battery. This also prevents me from leaving the Bluetooth accidentally connected during flight and losing rescue on Bank 2 altogether.

Also, the first thing I do after changes is to climb high and test rescue off the bat, giving you time to recover if necessary. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri 18. Sep 2015 7:46:40 
Site Admin

We have never experienced any glitch, but if you think there is something wrong, please report it.
We really do not recommend to fly with connected BT module. What you are calling glitch is probably situation, when you do not disconnect the BT app by clicking to "Disconnect". In this case you can't switch banks, because banks are switched by app only. This is very same as when you are connected to the PC software.

PostPosted: Fri 18. Sep 2015 7:58:15 

Now I see! Somebody says that Rescue does not work while connected to BT. I was wondering, since in my case it does... of course! I am not using Banks for that ))))))