It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024 9:23:28

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Gov on gasser
PostPosted: Tue 02. Jun 2015 5:43:19 

I started my gasser today.after setting up the gov.It would not come up to the requested speed. I shut the engine off and hooked up the computer. The actual rpm said 4500 even though it was never above idle. The rpm trigger is an align hall effect that I installed to give me rpm on telemetry before the gov was available. I have it powered by the spirit as shown in the manual.. The only thing I did not set up was reverse on gov page. Any ideas what might be wrong.

Post subject: Re: Gov on gasser
PostPosted: Wed 03. Jun 2015 7:24:10 
Site Admin

Hi,

Align sensor has swapped colors - black is 3.3V and red is GND. Did you swapped these wires?
GND is always in the middle pin of the satellite connector.

PostPosted: Thu 04. Jun 2015 4:24:53 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hi,

Align sensor has swapped colors - black is 3.3V and red is GND. Did you swapped these wires?
GND is always in the middle pin of the satellite connector.

Yes all wires are correct. I use a Zenoah RC Motor which does not use a fan like nitro and other gsssers. The align trigger is triggered by the same magnets that fire the ignition. There are two magnets close together with opposite poles out. I noticed when I use an align trigger the same way for telemetry rpm that at high engine speeds the signal becomes unstable.

I run an alternator on top of the start shaft and am thinking of putting a magnet in the coupler between the the shaft and alternator. If the magnets of the alternator do not interfere this might work.

Have you tried using a stator gator with the spirit gov? If you try you need to know that the SG will not on 3.3 volts. I ran one on 8.4v (2s lipo) with the white wire into the rpm sensor port on a futaba gy701 and it worked fine. I think the stator gator has a regulated output below 5 v. I will test this when I get a chance. The futaba trigger is 0 v when the magnet is in place and positive volts when magnet is away. Can the spirit use this backwards type of trigger?
Thanks in advance. Don

PostPosted: Sun 22. Nov 2015 2:57:01 

Subscribed with great interest.

Struggling to get the governor to work too. Zenoah RC motor, Align sensor and Spektrum telemetry. Here's what I found so far :

Tried to read of the fan magnet, but very unstable readings and I abandoned this approach.

Sensor reading of a single magnet on the main gear. Seems better at mid RPMs ( 1,700 - 1,800). However IU2 would not engage if set at 1,900 or more. Then looked at the actual data and not the graph and found these frequently spaced two frame drops to 0. I suspect this is causing the governor to react and in effect is as unstable as the fan magnet.

I think the suggestion to read of the coupler is worth having a look at ! It is easy to get to and work on, so I'll start looking at a mounting bracket.

Attachments:
Main gear magnet.PNG
Main gear magnet.PNG [ 8.84 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]

PostPosted: Sun 22. Nov 2015 12:01:37 
Site Admin

Oh, this is really a problem. If readings are that unstable, governor can't work properly.

You can try to play with RPM Sensor Filter in the Expert settings, but it would be better to find where is the problem physically.