It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024 8:11:03

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Spirit GT
PostPosted: Thu 21. Mar 2024 23:52:52 

Hello RC friends,
Hello Tomas,

We have now tested the Spirit GT extensively again. My friend Luca has been flying helicopters for 15 years and has tested every flybarless system there is on earth. So he knows his stuff very, very well.

A helicopter has already crashed and the rescue didn't work. Unfortunately, the helicopter was no longer economically viable to repair.

Since the Spirit system and the functionality of high-altitude rescue are still extremely interesting for us, we carried out a new test with a different helicopter. This one would have almost crashed twice again if Luca hadn't intervened/controlled it himself.

I saw the videos myself and it was extremely close, I estimate 2 meters from the ground.

I can describe the situations of non-functionality to you:

The system works well in all horizontal or almost horizontal positions (even when the helicopter is flying upside down/inverted).

The height rescue always does not work if the rotor blades are vertical or almost vertical to the ground. We installed the system in such a way that the rotor blades cannot be influenced (that was what Tomas suggested).

Our questions would be:

1. Does the system possibly work better or perfectly with the geolink module?

2. Is the sensor in the Spirit perhaps defective and only works in one direction? (the system does not sense the air pressure in the vertical direction).

2. Should we possibly (I think you suggested this before) do an exchange (the manufacturer sends us a different/new spirit and we send ours back).

We look forward to help from the forum members or the manufacturer.

Thanks Robert

Hallo RC-Freunde,
Hallo Tomas,

Wir haben jetzt das Spirit GT nochmals ausgiebig getestet. Mein Freund Luca fliegt seit 15 Jahren Hubschrauber und hat schon alle Flybarless-Systeme, die es auf dieser Erde gibt, getestet. Er kennt sich also sehr sehr gut aus.

Ein Helikopter ist bereits abgestürzt, die Rettung hat nicht funktioniert. Leider war der Hubschrauber wirtschaftlich nicht mehr sinnvoll zu reparieren.

Da das Spirit-System beziehungsweise die Funktionalität der Höhenrettung trotzdem extrem interessant ist für uns, haben wir einen neuen Test mit einem anderen Hubschrauber durchgeführt. Auch dieser wäre fast wieder zweimal abgestürzt, falls Luca nicht selbst eingegriffen/gesteuert hätte.

Ich habe die Videos dazu selbst gesehen, und das war extrem knapp, ich schätze 2 Meter vor dem Erdboden.

Ich kann Dir die Situationen der Nicht-Funktionalität gerne beschreiben:

Das System funktioniert in allen waagerechten beziehungsweise fast waagerechten Positionen gut (auch wenn der Hubschrauber kopfüber/invers fliegt).

Die Höhenrettung funktioniert immer dann nicht, wenn die Rotorblätter senkrecht oder fast senkrecht zum Boden stehen. Wir haben das System so eingebaut, dass keine Beeinflussung der Rotorblätter möglich ist (das hatte Tomas vorgeschlagen).

Unsere Fragen wären:

1. Funktioniert das System eventuell mit dem Geolinkmodul besser bzw. perfekt?

2. Ist eventuell der Sensor im Spirit defekt und funktioniert nur in einer Richtung? (das System spürt den Luftdruck nicht in senkrechter Richtung nicht).

2. Sollten wir eventuell (ich glaube, das hattest du schon mal vorgeschlagen) einen Tausch durchführen (Der Hersteller sendet uns ein anderes/neues Spirit und wir senden unseres zurück).

Wir freuen uns auf Hilfe von den Forum-Mitgliedern bzw. vom Hersteller.

Danke Robert

Post subject: Re: Spirit GT
PostPosted: Fri 22. Mar 2024 6:59:34 

Hello,
it would probably be better to send here the settings from the unit and the available LOG from GT, there are many things to see.

PostPosted: Fri 22. Mar 2024 10:01:32 

I tried rescue automatic on spirit gt and spirit gtr and I have always tried rescue automatic in a horizontal position, horizontally it has always been ok.
But they are not a good 3d pilot i have fear in trying the rescue automatic in a vertical position.
You've tried to go high and try rescue automatic at at a safe height (15,20m) put vertically the helicopter and let it arrive at the height where you activated rescue automatic.
standing high you have all the time to place helicopter horizontally.
I want to do this test but I'm not a good pilot and I can't do this text.
You have entered the software have you checked the pdf file if there are errors?
have you checked the height log Does it always read the height correctly or does it have strange values?

PostPosted: Fri 22. Mar 2024 11:08:28 

Im sure this has nothing to do with Spirits units but wanted share my experiences with pressure sensors.

the pressure sensor is usually in enclosed in tiny metal box with a hole to breath. It wouldn't know anything about its attitude. By experience the one thing that can influence it is the environmental pressure changes and its sensitive to light that's why they are covered with some breathable black foam material.

If you try to fly one of those micro helis with altitude hold during a windy day indoors, the altitude won't hold and the heli will ascend and descend rapidly. This is due to the pressure changes within the house. this can happen outside as well.

Early DJI naza flight controllers suffered from the "light bug" meaning you can achieve a perfect hover facing one direction and a bad hover facing another, this was due to effect of light shining on the pressure sensor as soon as you change the direction the drone would either shoot up or down . the fix was to use black electrical tape around the inside cover.

PostPosted: Fri 22. Mar 2024 15:06:25 

senaka wrote:
Im sure this has nothing to do with Spirits units but wanted share my experiences with pressure sensors.

the pressure sensor is usually in enclosed in tiny metal box with a hole to breath. It wouldn't know anything about its attitude. By experience the one thing that can influence it is the environmental pressure changes and its sensitive to light that's why they are covered with some breathable black foam material.

If you try to fly one of those micro helis with altitude hold during a windy day indoors, the altitude won't hold and the heli will ascend and descend rapidly. This is due to the pressure changes within the house. this can happen outside as well.

Early DJI naza flight controllers suffered from the "light bug" meaning you can achieve a perfect hover facing one direction and a bad hover facing another, this was due to effect of light shining on the pressure sensor as soon as you change the direction the drone would either shoot up or down . the fix was to use black electrical tape around the inside cover.

the other flybarless units they said to me that automatic rescue it cannot be created while spirit created the rescue automatic.
I am happy with this feature and only spirit has this function.
I fly with rescue automatic if I can't to press the button in time.
But in combination with rescue automatic between my index finger and my finger medium I have always a button which activates normal rescue.
if I lose orientation of the helicopter I move the rescue normal, I don't wait that arrives at 3 or 4 meters off the ground.
I have never crashed since I mounted spirit.

PostPosted: Fri 22. Mar 2024 18:08:32 

I too do same as above. Auto Rescue is only as a backup. If for any reason I feel I need the Spirit unit to save the heli I don't continue to flight it. Simply active a manual rescue before Auto Rescue activates. Works very well for my needs. Spirit unit has paid for itself many times over as I don't crash any more.

Thank you Tomas and the Spirit team.

PostPosted: Fri 22. Mar 2024 18:48:02 

this function is fantastic but every new pilot I know I have to explain from 0 how does it work.
I do not understand why 70% of people they do not know this fantastic automatic function.
I think that must be inserted more videos on Youtube.
I heard it first time thanks to a video in Italian on Youtube.
the main media are youtube, forum, and after facebook.
The site frequents it who already knows the spirit .
not many people know about the rescue automatic

PostPosted: Fri 22. Mar 2024 19:45:02 

franz88 wrote:
this function is fantastic but every new pilot I know I have to explain from 0 how does it work.
I do not understand why 70% of people they do not know this fantastic automatic function.
I think that must be inserted more videos on Youtube.
I heard it first time thanks to a video in Italian on Youtube.
the main media are youtube, forum, and after facebook.
The site frequents it who already knows the spirit .
not many people know about the rescue automatic

PostPosted: Sat 23. Mar 2024 19:54:26 

Hi!

@Robbytobby:
Well I can't say that I understand your line spacing ;),
but I can tell you that a non-engaging rescue happened also to me. Twice.
In my case, the heli wasn't close to any vertical position, but inverted.
It was more or less an inverted descending forward flight into the ground. Not even fast.
The rescue didn't engage. And yes, I also tested it if it works beforehand, but horizontal only.

I also need to verify it in a controlled manner :), but I kind of lost the trust in the automatic rescue feature. Maybe a recent update crashed it somehow, because I never had any problems before.
There are also even more people out there that faced similar issues on fb.