It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024 22:23:22

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat 16. Dec 2023 18:38:56 

I've searched and read other threads and tried all the tricks.

But my GeoLink won't calibrate, especially heading. It reads 120* when lined up true north at 0*. No matter how many times I calibrate - with the unit off of the helicopter and spun in every direction like a sphere, it still reads the same.

Are there other tips or tricks? Is there a way to fully reset it? I did re-flash this morning with the same result.

PostPosted: Tue 19. Dec 2023 0:13:55 
Site Admin

There is no difference between firmwares or softwares in calibration.

If value is not changing at all there could be a hardware problem.
But you will easily see that during calibration LED light is flashing as you move with GeoLink.
At the end there must be constant flashing, just as described in GeoLink manual.
Is this happening?

PostPosted: Wed 27. Dec 2023 3:44:03 

I re-tried calibration and waited fully for a continuous flashing light before stopping.

But it still reads 120 degrees while facing north.

I don't know what to do now.

PostPosted: Sat 30. Dec 2023 2:53:39 

I am having the same problem, however the manual says "When heading to North, you should see approximately 90 +/- 4°. If that is true you would need to adjust your heading offset by -30 degrees to go from showing 120 to 90 degrees.
Now i don't know why it should read 90 when common-sense screams when facing North it should read 0 degrees. If someone could explain this then i think we are both good to go fly.

PostPosted: Sat 30. Dec 2023 8:20:41 
Site Admin

If calibration is really finished then the problem could be in the base Spirit settings or the way you are measuring compass heading - it could actually be correct.

Is heading changing actually or is it constant at 120° no matter how you are moving with the GeoLink?
Will heading change after engaging a GeoLink feature at the bench?

The problem could be in theory in settings such as Spirit Mounting Position. But this would mean the most other settings is wrong too. For example Diagnostic tab will show incorrect direction of the stick movement.

Please share photos of GeoLink mounting, Spirit mounting at the model and also Spirit Settings 4DS file. Then we can find what could be wrong.

Also you have not mentioned when the problem first appeared. Is it new module or it was used previously by someone else?

PostPosted: Tue 02. Jan 2024 17:00:37 

My GeoLink is brand new. It was purchased from HeliDirect.

I'm using your tail boom mount, and the unit sits with the connector facing forward. My Spirit GT also faces forward (0* in settings).

The heading does change when I rotate the chopper. But, I've calibrated a position on my workbench that is 0* true north - using my Garmin handheld GPS - and the heli consistently reads 120* at this position.

I'm reading now that 90* is north in the Spirit. Help me make sense of that if it's true. 90* in any navigation-centric hobby is due east.

PostPosted: Tue 02. Jan 2024 19:27:13 
Site Admin

Yes, it is as you said. As you can see in the manual it is stated:
Quote:
Please place the model or just GeoLink to the North as close as possible, so that flight direction of the model is front of the arrow. Ideally compare to an analogue compass.
When heading to North, you should see approximately 90 +/- 4°. Measured value should not be far from this.

Here is the link for manual:
https://manual.spirit-system.com/index. ... w_to_check

PostPosted: Tue 02. Jan 2024 22:34:30 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Yes, it is as you said. As you can see in the manual it is stated:
Quote:
Please place the model or just GeoLink to the North as close as possible, so that flight direction of the model is front of the arrow. Ideally compare to an analogue compass.
When heading to North, you should see approximately 90 +/- 4°. Measured value should not be far from this.

Here is the link for manual:
https://manual.spirit-system.com/index. ... w_to_check

Be that as it may, the GeoLink is 30 full degrees off. I've taken the unit off and tried calibrating that too. Every "calibration" request results in a blinking LED. But, after many attempts, it remains 30 degrees off.

PostPosted: Wed 03. Jan 2024 8:59:01 

doingmainestuff wrote:
....and the unit sits with the connector facing forward. My Spirit GT also faces forward (0* in settings). ...

"GT also faces forward": does that mean that the connector of the GT is facing forward too?

PostPosted: Wed 03. Jan 2024 9:13:00 
Site Admin

It would be very helpful if you can share photos and settings file for checking.