It is currently Sun 28. Apr 2024 16:53:45

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon 30. Oct 2023 5:32:22 

Hello,

I am having trouble getting this Spirit GTR unit to initialize correctly. Whether I use the ESC's BEC or a 2S LiPo, the Spirit GTR will not initialize properly unless I move the transmitter sticks. I reflashed the firmware, but I still encounter the same issue. I attached a link to a YT video of the problem. Thank you

***************EDIT*******************
The problem turned out to be the Theta Razor DH1 Low Profile servos. The problem is NOT isolated to Spirit. This problem happens with VBar EVO units as well. The problem manifests only when these servos are programmed to 760µs center pulse. No issues at all when these servos are programmed to 1520µs center pulse. I have not tried other Theta servos to test, but so far (as of 02 Jan 2024), this issue seems to only affect the low profile standard size Theta servos and not other Theta servos. I removed the YouTube videos as I do not want folks associating this issue with Spirit units when in fact it is a Theta servo issue.

Last edited by curmudgeon on Tue 02. Jan 2024 22:10:22, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon 30. Oct 2023 10:04:52 
Site Admin

Hello,

please make sure that nothing is connected at the E2 pin.
Then make sure that your channel layout is default - at both Spirit unit and JETI radio.
Have you selected Spirit model type in the radio - base model setup page?

PostPosted: Wed 01. Nov 2023 0:13:12 

Hello Tomas,

There is nothing connected to the EXT/RPM/E2 ports. Nothing connected to SAT1 or SAT2 ports either.

I just verified to confirm. I left channel assignments for channels 2 to 6 to default on the Spirit, and correspond properly to the channels 2 to 6 assignments on the Jeti radio. I assigned "Throttle" to channel 1 (Spirit and Jeti) and "Bank" to channel 7 (Spirit and Jeti). I assigned "Rescue (Acro)" to channel 8 (Spirit and Jeti). I calibrated all the channels (high/mid/low) with the Jeti radio "Servo Setup".

I chose "Spirit" on the Jeti radio "Basic Properties >> Heli" page.

I specifically have to move the collective stick to get the Spirit GTR unit to initialize fully. This Spirit GTR unit will NOT initialize fully if I just move the cyclic stick. My three other Spirit GTR units initialize as expected without issues. This is my only Spirit GTR unit demonstrating this rather odd behavior.

The problem turned out to be the Theta Razor DH1 Low Profile servos. The problem is NOT isolated to Spirit. This problem happens with VBar EVO units as well. The problem manifests only when these servos are programmed to 760µs center pulse. No issues at all when these servos are programmed to 1520µs center pulse. I have not tried other Theta servos to test, but so far (as of 02 Jan 2024), this issue seems to only affect the low profile standard size Theta servos and not other Theta servos.

Attachments:
IMG_2589.jpeg
IMG_2589.jpeg [ 2.26 MiB | Viewed 496 times ]
Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 15.53.21.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 15.53.21.jpg [ 145.27 KiB | Viewed 496 times ]

Last edited by curmudgeon on Tue 02. Jan 2024 22:11:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed 01. Nov 2023 8:22:10 
Site Admin

Hello,

I have never seen such problem but it will be helpful if you can find what the Status LED is doing?
Will the LED get to the solid state after around 6 seconds from powerup? Or is it flashing all the time until you move with the sticks?
Is there some fan mounted at the model?

PostPosted: Wed 01. Nov 2023 15:10:40 

Hello,
I had this phenomenon in a similar way, only one or two of the servos of the swashplate weren't running, which meant the swashplate tilted - it wasn't until I had moved the sticks several times that all the servos were running again - as that seemed pretty suspicious to me, without causing a crash beforehand or something similar would have happened, I performed a factory reset and reloaded the settings for this helicopter (all banks) -
After that everything was fine again and this strange behavior has never happened again since then -

I would recommend doing a factory reset -

Regards

PostPosted: Thu 02. Nov 2023 3:50:20 

The blue LED initially blinks slowly (just like other Spirit units) and then remains steady (like other Spirit units). When I move the cyclic stick, there is a tone like the unit is initializing, but only the elevator servo responds. Then, when I move the collective stick, there another initializing tone and the other two cyclic servos "wake up".

The problem turned out to be the Theta Razor DH1 Low Profile servos. The problem is NOT isolated to Spirit. This problem happens with VBar EVO units as well. The problem manifests only when these servos are programmed to 760µs center pulse. No issues at all when these servos are programmed to 1520µs center pulse. I have not tried other Theta servos to test, but so far (as of 02 Jan 2024), this issue seems to only affect the low profile standard size Theta servos and not other Theta servos. I removed the YouTube videos as I do not want folks associating this issue with Spirit units when in fact it is a Theta servo issue.

Last edited by curmudgeon on Tue 02. Jan 2024 22:12:04, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu 02. Nov 2023 12:36:02 

Hello John,

did you (i am almost sure you did :)) check on monitor in Jeti TX and Spirit unit if any other channel is moving together with the pitch channel when the unit is not initialising? did you try to detach everything apart from cyclic/tail servo and throttle channel from Spirit unit and see what happens?

maybe you could share Spirit & Jeti model settings file here?

Last edited by HeliMLM on Thu 02. Nov 2023 16:38:06, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu 02. Nov 2023 13:03:59 

How do I share the setting file?

PostPosted: Thu 02. Nov 2023 14:16:29 

... just download your Spirit settings and copy the Jeti model file from TX and attach it here :) (maybe as zip or with renamed extension if it is blocked)

PostPosted: Thu 02. Nov 2023 14:22:46 

curmudgeon wrote:
The blue LED initially blinks slowly (just like other Spirit units) and then remains steady (like other Spirit units). When I move the cyclic stick, there is a tone like the unit is initializing, but only the elevator servo responds. Then, when I move the collective stick, there another initializing tone and the other two cyclic servos "wake up".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMNUBeh7AzE

Remove cable from E2!