It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024 9:42:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Geolink 2 Drift
PostPosted: Thu 24. Aug 2023 15:10:37 

Why does my geolink 2 (when in position and altitude hold) drift so much both horizontally and vertically?

Even if I manually move it horizontally it tries to goe back to where it was!

Aren't the GPS coordinates being update fast enough?

Vertically too it wanders around until a collective stick position satisfies it, although sometimes it will drop altitude.

Why can't this thing hold similiar to a drone??? And why is it so hard to find correct v and h gain numbers???

Everything is perfectly adjusted and checked many times...

Why add a laser with v2 when this doesn't work, or maybe that's why it is not working?

I have just about given up on G2!

Post subject: Re: Geolink 2 Drift
PostPosted: Thu 24. Aug 2023 19:28:51 
Site Admin

In a normal circumstances it will work out of the box with zero tuning needed in 95% cases. You can see many videos on YouTube where model is holding perfectly, even with version 1 where GNSS coordinates and pressure sensor were not that precise.
The problem can happen for more reasons but the most common is that servo neutral position is off the center.

It will never work like a drone, because drone has very different mechanism for controlling altitude and model itself holds quite well even with no stabilisation compared to helicopter.
Additionally drone is not influenced by a pressure changes as helicopters and any pressure change can be perfectly predicted.
Another issue is that helicopter mechanics are very, very different between each one and reaction is almost always influenced by many factors, very dependent on how well it is built, what servos are used, what blades are used and what is rotor head design.
With drones there is just direct motor drive and nothing else. You need only a proper ESC which is standard for a drones today.

This is also reason why GeoLink is basically the only device that is actively developed and supported and suitable for all models. All other manufacturers stopped with this, if they ever started. Because to have this device mean to teach pilots many things and this require a lot of resources.

Unfortunately I can't reply better. It is like asking doctor why I had heart attack?
Some pilots are thinking they are experts but doing same mistakes for years. Then they are angry, because they think there can't be a problem in their models. This apply also for 3D master pilots. We have a lot of experience with all types of pilots. Interestingly with beginners resolving a problem is much faster than with very experienced pilots.
Then they will come to us, I will look at the model and in one minute extremely big mistakes are found.
Then there are electrical problems that could happen. For example there are chips that are produced in milions. And some kind of chip such as gyros are very complex and unique that no one is identical.
Similarly GNSS chips are working differently at each part of the world, because it is based on satellites around the world. And in some countries different ones are used, in some they are less precise, in some more precise. In some countries there is bigger humidity, different temperature range and other factors. This can all play role.
I am sure all our products can be improved. There is big room for improvement everywhere and we are trying to improve when time allows it.

Companies that are producing their own models have the best condition to make perfect product. This is mainly drone market. There you do not have to adjust anything, because it was already adjusted and tested for years by them. And each of their model is produced like this one so difference is practically eliminated.

For helicopters there are so many variants and condition that this market is the most complicated to support. So even DJI given up years ago, even that they have so many people in the company.

I would help you more but it is very hard to find anything wrong if you say everything was checked. The only thing we can do is to send you new product for comparison.
Please note we have to daily answer many, many questions so we have to divide our resources to support all of them and at the same time develop our products.
More time spent with answering questions mean less time for improving the products. If we spent too much time with one customer, then 1000 other could be upset why they have bad results since they have not received answer in time.
Less information we receive from pilot mean it is harded to help. Especially if he is only creating new posts around the internet with complaints trying to bash the product.

PostPosted: Tue 05. Sep 2023 17:03:32 
Site Admin

At these days we are trying to invent new approach for controlling the model by GeoLink module. If it will turn out to work good then by this change GeoLink will work correctly even with a very bad settings and wrong condition of the model. At the same time it should work more precisely.
This would make it usable basically on any model and it will be enough to have Spirit unit in flyable condition. In other words it would mean there will be almost no instances of imprecise position hold and similar features.
We are very interested in results because it will mainly help beginners and make the module usable in almost all thinkable models.

PostPosted: Tue 05. Sep 2023 17:41:06 

ZeXx86 wrote:
At these days we are trying to invent new approach for controlling the model by GeoLink module. If it will turn out to work good then by this change GeoLink will work correctly even with a very bad settings and wrong condition of the model. At the same time it should work more precisely.
This would make it usable basically on any model and it will be enough to have Spirit unit in flyable condition. In other words it would mean there will be almost no instances of imprecise position hold and similar features.
We are very interested in results because it will mainly help beginners and make the module usable in almost all thinkable models.

Thomas, I must say I read the posts and this one impresses me! You have Somme effort on Geolink and still are working on the new Wave radio.
I am very happy to use your products! It helped me tremendously to gain trust and experience without breaking my helis!

PostPosted: Wed 06. Sep 2023 15:46:13 

I have known 4 new pilots and I explained to him that my helicopter it saves itself before hitting the ground.
Have remained positively impressed from this function.
spirit is the only one in the world to have this function.
but i can't understand because no one knows this function.
2 of them they also do competitions