It is currently Sun 12. May 2024 19:29:13

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon 21. Aug 2023 17:18:34 

Hello just looking for some tunning tips on using the spirit governor on my whiplash turbine heli. I have the spirit gtr, aglin rpm sensor and the turbine is xicoy x45h. I am currently at 7 on Governor performance and 4 on hold performance. I have the align sensor powered by the sat ports and the gap on between the sensor and magnet is very minimal. I am going make it closer. The governor is working but i am looking for that additional throttle input when adding collective to keep the headspeed with a load and I am not see that happen (i just think the headspeed is dropping and not picking back up quick enough)Any suggestions? I am enjoying the system just want to get the governor tuned well so the rpm will hold better during aggressive maneuvers.

PostPosted: Tue 22. Aug 2023 10:07:25 
Site Admin

Hello,

first from all I recommend to check if Spirit Governor is really engaged.
This can be verified by looking at the Spirit Flight Log after landing.

It is possible that Governor does not work at all.

Then also make sure that when you are starting the turbine, throttle curve value is not over 12%.
In other words, Throttle transition should be from 0 - 12% to 50 - 100%, flat curve.

PostPosted: Tue 22. Aug 2023 12:06:48 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hello,

first from all I recommend to check if Spirit Governor is really engaged.
This can be verified by looking at the Spirit Flight Log after landing.

It is possible that Governor does not work at all.

Then also make sure that when you are starting the turbine, throttle curve value is not over 12%.
In other words, Throttle transition should be from 0 - 12% to 50 - 100%, flat curve.

The flight log states governor engaged. I have a start flight mode for the turbine that has the standard -100 to 100 throttle curve. You think that is causing an issue? The start flight mode allows the start sequence to go… it is like a direct throttle control. Hover mode (bank 0) has a flat throttle curve of 56% and is not governed because that would effect me being able to start the turbine.

PostPosted: Wed 23. Aug 2023 16:52:54 

Is there a setting in governor that well help with the throttle increase during a load to help maintain the head speed? Also if you lower the rpm sensor filter what effect will that have? Additionally is there a gain setting for governor. I am just reading the setup and trying to understand each setting so i can see what tweaking each setting results in.

PostPosted: Thu 24. Aug 2023 7:57:26 
Site Admin

The curve you are using is problem unfortunately.
The motor (turbine) should be engaged and spooled up by Governor itself slowly. For this reason there are spoolup settings.
After changing this Governor Response could be much better.

Governor Response is parameter you should increase in case there are drops during short/quick agressive inputs to the model.

PostPosted: Thu 24. Aug 2023 7:59:34 
Site Admin

Governor Response and Holding Performance are two separate gains.
These two are enough to tune the Governor. The first one will also increase reaction for the collective/cyclic inputs.

Governor Response is for a shortterm load.
Holding Performance is for a longterm load.

PostPosted: Thu 24. Aug 2023 14:38:31 

Ahh ok. I have the spool up settings as slow and the other parameter is the default 50us. The spool up works fine. I can adjust the throttle settings in the start up mode or should I enable the governor in bank 0 (hover) mode? When i had the governor enabled in the bank 0, i was unable to start the turbine do to the governor applying the smooth spool up. Basically, i had to hold the throttle stick at full throttle for a while and then lower it down to complete the start sequence.

What is your recommended process to starting the turbine? The xicoy is looking for the full
Throttle command and then back down to idle within 2sec to initiate the start sequence.

Thank you again for your help. With my jeti radio i may be able to program a switch with would do full throttle and then when flip again will be set to the idle.

Also thank you for the explanation on the governor setting that will help when i tune the settings.

V/r

Karl

PostPosted: Sun 27. Aug 2023 18:54:20 

Did more flights with my whiplash today. The governor did well and keep the rpms up. I am at 7 on Governor performance and 6 on hold performance. I notice when i first engage the governor coming from the hover bank it will be over on my set headspeed but i just give it some time to adjust and then fly. I am still going to do a little more tweaking but i am happy it is working better. My rpm sensor filter is at 5. I get the rpm sensor data is noisy message in the flight log, but the rpm read out is constant.

Would it be possible in later update to have the ability to switch the governor off with a switch on the radio? That would allow me to use the governor on bank zero for hovering maneuvers. I currently use a throttle curve.