It is currently Mon 13. May 2024 6:13:26

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun 23. Apr 2023 9:23:40 

HeliMLM wrote:
... if you are concerned about signal losses for higher value models: maybe the focus should be on NOT running into a failsafe condition. i.e. dual band, rx redundancy etc. with a modern system there should be no possibility of a signal loss with normal heli flying distances.

return home as failsafe like with drones is somehow a kind of autonomous flight (you cannot take back control at any time)... and in some countries you are running into legal problems. besides the terrifying idea of a >=700 size heli approaching any landing zone (how to assure it is empty/free) without human control.

I dont see the problem. If you have the option why not actually have it as a safety ?

I dont fly LOS but FPV. And my transmission can easy reach up to 10km if sight is clear.
I have tandem with 2.4ghz and 868mhz system.

So why not at least have the benefit of having some safety system to return to takeoff spot in case something goes wrong?

To actually loose the signal between heli and receiver i cant imagine being possible unless you actually burn cables or something other outside of my command.

Loosing the signal between receiver and rc can and will at some point happend. Thats when the return to home goes active and flyes back to me..

Why would this be any bad thing?

PostPosted: Sun 23. Apr 2023 17:28:39 

Rdlx3m wrote:

Why would this be any bad thing?

For me, the idea of a 700 heli flying around with no control from the pilot, at 10km distance is just really, really scary. How are you managing to get 10km and back again on a battery? 10km there, 10km back at 100mph would be 7 minutes of flight, if the heli can fly at 100mph.

Spirit is a great FBL, but it's not safety-certified, it's hobby grade, and so is your helicopter. I get that its expensive if it crashes, but that's part of the hobby, things fail, and you don't know what will fail or the state of the system when it does fail.
There's a reason that safety standards exist in aviation (DO-178B/C, etc), and a reason for multiple redundant systems, etc.

What you're talking about is illegal in my country.
A radio link failure is the most serious of all failures. You're no longer in control of the aircraft. At that point, it should fall from the sky.
I'm fine with return to home if the radio link is still connected, but with a radio link failure, I think it should just fall.

In fact, I think spirit should add the option of what to do when a failsafe occurs. My preference would be to kill the motor, then rescue into a stable position + altitude hold hover and 'auto' the heli to the ground the best the spirit can to limit damage, but 100% the motor must be turned off.

PostPosted: Sun 23. Apr 2023 19:45:07 

jjuk wrote:
What you're talking about is illegal in my country....

In fact, I think spirit should add the option of what to do when a failsafe occurs. My preference would be to kill the motor, then rescue into a stable position + altitude hold hover and 'auto' the heli to the ground the best the spirit can to limit damage, but 100% the motor must be turned off.

fully agree with you... just illegal or dangerous or even illegal & dangerous.

and the rest is already OK with Spirit. just set a 'blind' channel to stabilization, activate it for failsafe, plus motor off and pitch ~2-3° negative. this is how all of mine are set now.

and you *MAY* take the risk to have autorotation bailout active for failsafe - this would mean fast recovery if TX/RX comes back to alive.... could save the heli, but could even kill people if it spools up fast near ground next to people.

for me it's clear: the value of our toy helicopters (and my Diabolos are not that cheap) is clearly second to people's safety.

PostPosted: Sun 23. Apr 2023 20:07:34 

Djizus christ.. the RC heli/airplane community is the most dramatic ive ever been to.. why is everything such a crisis for you guys? A simple question with a simple answer grows out to be a complete bitchfight..

I didnt say i fly that fucking thing 10km i say my setup is good for AT LEAST 10km! Actually it could do around 30km with external antenna! My camera is good for 4-5km But thats not the point! What i do, whats legal and not legal i really dont care, and you shouldnt either! that is not what im here for!

Im asking for a simple thing and it SHOULD be possible for you guys to answer what im asking for without giving the moral finger!

God damn it. Seriously?

PostPosted: Sun 23. Apr 2023 20:27:37 

Rdlx3m wrote:
Djizus christ.. the RC heli/airplane community is the most dramatic ive ever been to.. why is everything such a crisis for you guys? A simple question with a simple answer grows out to be a complete bitchfight..

I didnt say i fly that fucking thing 10km i say my setup is good for AT LEAST 10km! Actually it could do around 30km with external antenna! My camera is good for 4-5km But thats not the point! What i do, whats legal and not legal i really dont care, and you shouldnt either! that is not what im here for!

Im asking for a simple thing and it SHOULD be possible for you guys to answer what im asking for without giving the moral finger!

God damn it. Seriously?

Fine, this is a stupid idea, but here's the (partial) answer:
Configure Return to home and the return to home altitude:
https://manual.spirit-system.com/index. ... rn_to_Home

!! Disconnect your motor so the headspeed can be set, below:
Set your radio to output exactly what mode you want when a failsafe happens, e.g.
turn on stability normal (or scale)
turn on return to home
turn on the motor at desired head speed
collective sticks centered.

Go to the General tab - channels - click set failsafe.
https://manual.spirit-system.com/index. ... on#GENERAL

AFAIK: Your heli will return to home, and hover above the return to home spot at the "return altitude" until the battery goes flat, then crash when a brown-out occurs and the servos lose power (the heli may shoot off in any direction when this happens as the servos are no longer holding).
I don't know how to make it auto-land once it's returned to home without a radio signal, I'm not sure it's currently possible - maybe someone else will advise.

PostPosted: Mon 24. Apr 2023 4:44:43 

jjuk wrote:
Rdlx3m wrote:

God damn it. Seriously?

Fine, this is a stupid idea, but here's the (partial) answer:
Configure Return to home and the return to home altitude:
https://manual.spirit-system.com/index. ... rn_to_Home

!! Disconnect your motor so the headspeed can be set, below:
Set your radio to output exactly what mode you want when a failsafe happens, e.g.
turn on stability normal (or scale)
turn on return to home
turn on the motor at desired head speed
collective sticks centered.

Go to the General tab - channels - click set failsafe.
https://manual.spirit-system.com/index. ... on#GENERAL

AFAIK: Your heli will return to home, and hover above the return to home spot at the "return altitude" until the battery goes flat, then crash when a brown-out occurs and the servos lose power (the heli may shoot off in any direction when this happens as the servos are no longer holding).
I don't know how to make it auto-land once it's returned to home without a radio signal, I'm not sure it's currently possible - maybe someone else will advise.

Finally! Thanks for answering;) but i know all that. Allreasy been flying it and testing for soon 2 months.

I know how to configure it, problem is that its way to violent!
As mentioned in a different post rescue and return to home do not share same settings. So i can only adjust rescue (wich i dont use)
And return to home works but its a 50/50chance of destroying the heli due to violent control takeover. (Rips apart main gear) and then when it comes back home it hovers up and down with 2-3m height pulsing.. its extremely hard for the heli

But we found out the setting for return to home is not aviable yet in SW

PostPosted: Mon 24. Apr 2023 7:38:39 
Site Admin

Rdlx3m: Please take a look at videos how it should work.
In your case it works completely wrong. Have you done what I recommended?
Actually it works smoothly and can hold altitude within just few centimeters quite steady even during wind.

In any case it is really not good idea to have model flying without a control and in some countries it is not legal. You have to count that completely anything can happen. For example flying full speed at window of any nearby building.
It can't be compared with solution such as DJI Drones where all hardware and software is well tested, developed and tailored to work ideally and technically is much easier to stabilize at the spot. With RC helicopters you have thousands of combinations of all components, much more power, different batteries with very different features, very different condition and many more possibilities of problems that could render different behavior at the same situation. So in case of lost signal it is really better to shut down motor off as fast as possible.
With drone you can have direct detection if all control technology is working properly. Even with todays servos, ESCs you have almost nothing. So determining if model can really safely reach desired position is almost impossible.

PostPosted: Tue 25. Apr 2023 19:35:27 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Rdlx3m: Please take a look at videos how it should work.
In your case it works completely wrong. Have you done what I recommended?
Actually it works smoothly and can hold altitude within just few centimeters quite steady even during wind.

In any case it is really not good idea to have model flying without a control and in some countries it is not legal. You have to count that completely anything can happen. For example flying full speed at window of any nearby building.
It can't be compared with solution such as DJI Drones where all hardware and software is well tested, developed and tailored to work ideally and technically is much easier to stabilize at the spot. With RC helicopters you have thousands of combinations of all components, much more power, different batteries with very different features, very different condition and many more possibilities of problems that could render different behavior at the same situation. So in case of lost signal it is really better to shut down motor off as fast as possible.
With drone you can have direct detection if all control technology is working properly. Even with todays servos, ESCs you have almost nothing. So determining if model can really safely reach desired position is almost impossible.

Well.. then you can be proud of the work you do!

I have teste return to home with remote shut of, automaticly activates my RTH.. comes straight back..
I have also tested RTH with a distance of 1.5km away from me.. comes EXACTLY to the same spot it took of from.. but as mentioned and as youve seen my video.. its not finesse when it hovers;)

PostPosted: Tue 25. Apr 2023 22:06:06 

Lower the geolink gains, see spirit-settings - 'GeoLink' -> 'Aid' -> 'Correction Gains'. Drop vertical gain 10%, re-test.

PostPosted: Wed 26. Apr 2023 9:47:11 

jjuk wrote:
Lower the geolink gains, see spirit-settings - 'GeoLink' -> 'Aid' -> 'Correction Gains'. Drop vertical gain 10%, re-test.

Ive done all that.. but as mentioned before those setting are ONLY!!!! For the rescue! Not return to home.. spirit team obviosly didnt share those settings on rescue and return to home. I hope at least they will. I never use rescue and dont have use for it. But return to home in case of lost signal or something would be nice to have!

nd you can see what happends while its hovering
https://youtu.be/YPp81ieFFcg