It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 9:29:44

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon 23. Jan 2023 10:18:13 

For our part we cannot do more than what we have already been doing, we have been testing with different Helis for almost two years now, at first the problem was supposedly that the Helis were not configured correctly,
then the vibrations of the HW Fan (what It has been solved by putting another fan of another brand),
but we continue with the same problem (Altitude Limit Function)
I begin to suspect that the SPIRIT Barometer sends the information to the GeoLink in a way, that the GeoLink does not fully understand it , or very late.
There are users who have the GeoLink mounted , but the data of the height is not taken from the GPS GeoLink?,
it takes it from the SPIRIT Barometer, why? It doesn't make sense,because the Data from a GPS , it's much more safer reliable stable and direct.
For users without GeoLink I see that the SPIRIT Barometer works with the Altitude Hold Function?
Because we have a user in the flight club who uses it without GeoLink, and it seems that it works for him.

But if the problem of the Altitude Limit is not solved with the GeoLink, it will be necessary to make two versions, one for users without GeoLink and another for users with GeoLink, since the other functions works.

I have always commented that it is necessary to simplify, both the software and the HW, for users who do not have Transmitters with enough channels, make a special SW for them, but not complicate the SW for all users due this problem of this users.
As I have commented several times before, you have to reduce the speed by half, for the "Return to Home" function the Heli goes too fast.

PostPosted: Mon 23. Jan 2023 15:09:07 
Site Admin

The problem is that people require features. More features mean that there are more parameters.
If there are two softwares then it mean that some people will loose features. But even you have problem when we changed altitude limit for easier engaging, because you need to set height.

Certainly we will have not two softwares. I am afraid you will need always a certain level of knowledge. Currectly it is very simplified.
The only way is to make it work only on our tested models to make it simplier.

PostPosted: Mon 23. Jan 2023 15:49:26 

Thank's for the quick reply, sorry what you mean with ;" because you need to set height." ???

PostPosted: Mon 23. Jan 2023 19:19:45 
Site Admin

We simplified settings by removing requirement to set Altitude Limit. Instead you can set it at any altitude during flight.
This is the way we will support primarily, because it adds additional precision due to technical reasons.
It seems you were not satisfied with this option from the beginning. But it made it simplier and performed better. So you are good example that we can't simplify things as much as we like, because not everybody will be satisifed. In any case you can always use any older version that is at least 2 years old.

I was asking you always for settings so we can find what could be wrong. Because what you are describing for long time never happened to us. If you will tell us only that is does not work, it is same as when coming to doctor but you want to resolve some ilness without careful examination.
I think that the problem when model is ascending without stopping is because you have more functions enabled. And some other function is enabled at the same time as Altitude Limit. Then it simply can't work. To avoid to happen it again I recommended to you to set only Altitude Limit and nothing else. But until now I am not sure if you even tried it. It would be very helpful for both of us if you can share more details. When you shared your settings I told you to disable other features, because they were all enabled. To find why you have problems it is important to do what I write. Enable only one function temporarily. Turn off everything else completely.

Please note if GeoLink is connected and enabled in the settings it will always use barometer from the GeoLink. In any case barometer in GeoLink v2 is identical to these in GT and GTR units. Except that GeoLink is adding 3 additional sensors to the measurements for all Altitude functions.

PostPosted: Mon 23. Jan 2023 23:26:16 

Regarding GT's ( no geolink ) hard deck option and way to set parameter by channel is seems to be perfect and the only way that meets user needs. My concern is lift time upon activation or in case of auto recue . It is about 1.5 s which with collective around 13 degrees and good head speed lifts heli way up high. Any chance to get option to limit lift time up on activation and auto rescue to 1s ?

PostPosted: Fri 27. Jan 2023 9:48:17 

No matter how much I look at it, review and study, I came to the conclusion that the Barometer works well with SPIRIT and only with SPIRIT, and with the GeoLink there must be a communication problem between SPIRIT Barometer and GeoLink, this shows how capricious is the Electronics.
Therefore I recommend for users who have the GeoLink mounted, that the height data come directly from the GeoLink GPS, I am sure it will solve this, I will explain why, I suspect this, you have to take into account that an RC Helicopter does many height changes in the maneuvers in very short time lap, it is not like an RC Airplane,
so since there are so many height changes in a very short time, the GeoLink unit does not have time to calculate the data that comes from the SPIRIT Barometer.
I don't know if you have with Drones, I also have and fly Drones from more than 30 years ago, take a DJI FPV
(it is comparable with a Heli due to its high speed) and see how well the data that comes from GPS works, Height, Speed, Home Point, Direction all in Real time .
I think that on the part of the User Software it can be solved easily, since the GeoLink can be set to automatic self-detecting. This means that when the software connects it to the PC, it detects if the user has only the SPIRIT, or the SPIRIT with the GeoLink, to give it Data directly priority in case the GeoLink is installed,
and follow the data is taken from it. Hopes mi idea helps and makes it easier ,and more effective. :idea:

PostPosted: Fri 27. Jan 2023 10:01:33 
Site Admin

Hello Dr. Fleming,

I am afraid but you are spreading false information.
Barometer from GeoLink v2 has same data rate and is completely identical to sensor from GT/GTR.
The only difference is that you are configuring Altitude Limit to engage at a specific altitude. While Rescue (Automatic) is programmed always and only from altitude from moment when it was engaged. This is also highly recommended method for Altitude Limit, because it adds precision and mitigate possible measurement imprecision caused by different ambient pressure and temperature during flight.

When GeoLink is connected to Spirit GT/GTR then there is no difference - barometer from GeoLink is used always for GeoLink features. Barometer from GT/GTR is used only for Rescue (Automatic). These two things are completely independent. So all GeoLink functions will work identically also with Spirit 2 for example.

Drones are very, very different from helicopters, because they can't fly at any angle and blades pitch is constant. This can't cause a negative pressures as with helicopters. Additionally they have more rotors that are much smaller not causing such pressure disturbances. The sensors are not under rotors itself but away which is another significant difference.
Since they have only few models their electronics does not have to work on all drones, but can be precisely configured only to them and nothing else, which is also very different task.
On helicopters there is completely freedom and you can mount basically everything right or wrong and each one is behaving differently, can offer different mounting options, etc.

PostPosted: Fri 27. Jan 2023 10:42:45 

Now I don't understand well, I remember that you answer me here that the GeoLink takes the Altitude Data from the SPIRIT, now you write that in case if the GeoLink is mounted, that the altitude Data comes from a Barometer that is inside the GeoLink Electronic ?
I don't understand again, first this information is new, and why a GPS system takes the Altitude Data from an oldstyle mechanical Barometer ????
By the way, it is very similar to a Race Drone to a RC Heli ( The Flying) not the specific construction.
I repeat, a Barometer is not accurate enough , to collect Data in an RC Heli that moves 10-15 meters up and down in a very short time and at high speed( Because a mechanical Barometers works with a margin at least of 5 meters) this i s done much better by GPS, and only with GPS and that's the reason it will never work the Function "Altitude Limit" all other Function's work's where the height in real time is not so necessarily important. ;)

PostPosted: Fri 27. Jan 2023 13:08:11 
Site Admin

Hello,

we are not using mechanical barometers :)
Our barometers are designed exactly for this use case and are delivering data at rate 200Hz. They were developed for R/C models actually. This is basically as fast as your servos. They have precision of around 25cm so there can't be anything better.

No, Spirit unit is not sending anything to GeoLink. This is misunderstanding. But GeoLink has few additional sensors to measure altitude even more precisely.
For this reason it can work even in harder 3D maneuvers even better than with only single sensor. Our GeoLink is also using not only GPS for altitude measuring, but 4 concurrent navigation systems simultaneously with high refresh date and precision. Together with very precise motion sensors and laser measurement.
So few sources for altitude measurement in real time all combined to one.

If you can replicate some problem take a video or write step by step procedure and we will try to fix it. If you feel you are more clever than us you should maybe join our developer team :)
But since there are thousands of satisfied pilots that are using it daily I guess it will be not that bad :)