It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 22:12:59

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun 20. Nov 2022 20:00:28 

Hi, I've purchased 2 GeoLink V2 for a SAB Goblin 380 and 500. I'm having difficulty figuring out how to mount them so the new radar antennas are able to 'see' the ground. The boom is too wide and blocks them if it's centered on the boom. Has anyone figured out how to mount the GeoLink V2's on heli's that have wide fiberglass booms like the Goblins? Can they be mounted off center so the antennas hang over the edge and are able to 'see' the ground below? Thanks! JK

PostPosted: Mon 21. Nov 2022 23:54:18 

I have Geolinks on 3 of my helis: Goblin 500, Gaui 550 and TRex 550L Domi, and in each case, it's sitting on a saddle, or a platform that's as wide as, or wider than the Geolink. So it's not "seeing" the ground, yet in each case, it works just fine.

I don't think it needs to see the ground at all, it just needs to have a view of the open skies. Granted that if you're flying your bird continuously upside down it might get some weird signal reflections off the ground, but I don't think it needs to "see" the ground.

PostPosted: Tue 22. Nov 2022 20:23:03 

Dudemeister wrote:
I have Geolinks on 3 of my helis: Goblin 500, Gaui 550 and TRex 550L Domi, and in each case, it's sitting on a saddle, or a platform that's as wide as, or wider than the Geolink. So it's not "seeing" the ground, yet in each case, it works just fine.

I don't think it needs to see the ground at all, it just needs to have a view of the open skies. Granted that if you're flying your bird continuously upside down it might get some weird signal reflections off the ground, but I don't think it needs to "see" the ground.

The geolink v2 need to see the ground
has a laser sensor on bottom to add precision at low altitude

PostPosted: Wed 23. Nov 2022 1:42:36 

Aah, I wasn't aware the new Geolinks had a Laser ranging feature. Mine don't have this.

Very interesting.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu 24. Nov 2022 10:32:53 
Site Admin

Dudemeister wrote:
Aah, I wasn't aware the new Geolinks had a Laser ranging feature. Mine don't have this.

Very interesting.

Thanks

Hello,

when there is no Laser opening then it is not GeoLink V2 but older V1.

PostPosted: Sat 03. Dec 2022 18:17:51 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Dudemeister wrote:

Very interesting.

Thanks

Hello,

when there is no Laser opening then it is not GeoLink V2 but older V1.

I think there has been some confusion about the messages left here. I'm the user who started this post and I most definitely have v2 GeoLinks.

Has anyone figured out how to mount the v2's on heli's like the SAB Goblins where the tail boom is as wide or wider than the GeoLinks themselves? Is it acceptable to mount them slightly off center so the laser transceivers have a clear view of the ground below? What consequences would there be with mounting them a couple of mm's off center? What consequences would there be if I mount them normally and the laser transceivers are blocked?

Thanks,

MSM

PostPosted: Sun 04. Dec 2022 21:04:39 
Site Admin

Yes, you can mount it also off the center with no problem.

Consequences of mounting it while covering laser will be that performance in Auto Landing and Altitude Limit under around 1 meter will be not that precise. But will be more precise than with GeoLink v1. Laser is used only when model is close to the ground to obtain milimeter precision measurements.