It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024 11:01:37

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: failsafe signal recovery
PostPosted: Sun 20. Nov 2022 8:03:50 

Right now, the best I can figure out is that once the signal is lost and failsafe is triggered, transmitter control is completely locked out, and even if signal is recovered a couple of seconds later, you no longer have control. It basically requires a power cycle.

Is there a failsafe mode that restores control if signal is recovered?

PostPosted: Sun 20. Nov 2022 17:05:30 

Hello !
I don't know of any remote control behaving like this, neither from my edgetx, whether TX16S nor Horus X10S Express, nor from Spektrum or others... If no new connection can be established again, then the binding between the remote control and the receiver was probably not correct - self after a brown out, the reconnection is restored, only then does the FBL have a problem, which can lead to a crash - which protocol applies this, ACCST or ACCESS? Operating system EdgeTx or Ethos ?
I would still be interested -

Regards
Mattes61

PostPosted: Sun 20. Nov 2022 17:59:28 

The configuration in question is a X20S running the latest version of Ethos.

I haven't tried this on all my helis, but so far I can replicate this on 2 different helis with Spirit GT, and 2 different receivers: FrSky RX4R running ACCESS, and a Radio Master R161 running ACCST v2.

I tried setting multiple setting

Setting 1:
Failsafe in the receiver section: Custom > set the controls to a basic hover
Failsafe in Spirit > same settings as the receiver (basic Hover)

Setting2:
Failsafe in the receiver section: No pulses
Failsafe in Spirit > set the controls to a basic hover (same as above)

Setting3:
Failsafe in the receiver section: No Set
Failsafe in Spirit > set the controls to a basic hover (same as above)

I can simulate signal loss by simply putting the transmitter right next to the receiver. I can hear the "RSSI signal Critical" then "Telemetry Lost". The servos all go the to predefined positions, and that's it. If signal is regained within a second or so (moving the TX away from the Rx), the servos remain in that position, and I have no control what so ever. I can her "Telemetry Recovered", and see the telemetry data live, but I have no control of any of the servos.

FWIW, I've read that you can set the Failsafe so that it triggers a Return Home , provided that function available (GeoLink), but I can't find where to enable this. I know that the "No Pulses" setting in the receiver section is meant just for that, let the FBL take over and bring the bird back, but I can't figure how to do it. I already have the Return Home function available on a switch, but if I loose the signal and the system goes into Failsafe, I no longer have control and throwing the switch won't so anything.

I can't even find a way to delay Failsafe, in case the it's just a simple glitch. As soon as signal is lost, Failsafe behavior kicks in, and the FBL no longer accepts commands, regardless of whether the signal is restored.

PostPosted: Sun 20. Nov 2022 21:17:11 

Hello Dudemeister !
Telemetry lost means not in all cases that the connection is lost - I would try it in an other way - maybe the reaction is the same maybe not... try it -
Dismantle the blades and let the engine run at low speed, then turn off your transmitter and wait for the appropriate failsafe signal - you will see it in an appropiate reaction of the helicopter, for example Motor stops...
After a certain time switch on the transmitter back again then all functions must be immediately available back again -
I have generally set no pulses in the transmitter, I have not made any changes in the receiver itself - I also believe that the setting in the transmitter has a higher priority than in the receiver - I have set the corresponding failsafe setting in the Spirit by confirming with the Failsafe button set - this has always worked without errors -

Regards
Matthias

PostPosted: Mon 21. Nov 2022 22:35:37 

Update:

First I did try turning the radio off instead of just making it lose the signal by putting the radio right up against the receiver, and after a few seconds, it did the same thing as before, servos go to preset location, then as soon as the radio is powered up again, no control over the servos. Yes, I regain the signal, strong RSSI, full telemetry, but no control.

Then I did as you suggested, and pulled both main and tail blades off, then enabled the throttle, had the heli running at (low) throttle, and powered off the receiver. As soon as the signal was lost, the servos jumped up, the throttle cut off. When I powered the radio back on, the motor restarted, then I had control again, so I tried it again, and again, and it stopped working.

So what's going on here? It turns out that if the throttle stick is at minimum or it's on throttle hold when the signal comes back, the FBL is locked out. If the throttle is active and it's anywhere other than minimum, then I can regain control.

PostPosted: Tue 22. Nov 2022 13:09:35 

Hello !
I think it is not a problem of the Spirit FBL, I never had a problem like you discribed - In my opinion it is maybe a "problem" of the ESC or maybe a problem with a setting of the transmitter, but I can only make assumptions - maybe a test will only help with a battery that is connected to the receiver and at the best a servo can be plugged in there, for example an RX6R - you could try how it works with the Servo would behave without FBL - If the behavior is different, i.e. always works, then that would indicate a problem in the FBL, if the behavior is the same, then it would be more on the transmitter side -

Regards
Matthias

PostPosted: Wed 23. Nov 2022 8:47:58 
Site Admin

Hello,

It seems that some of the channels are out of range.
Make sure that no channel reach over 100% value.
By default frsky radios are sending around 130% for all channels.
So if it is in a maximum or minimum it may behave as invalid signal.
Changing the range will fix it.

PostPosted: Thu 01. Dec 2022 21:20:54 

Hello Dudemeister,
Is there something new about the failsafe recovery problem ? Could you fix it ?
It would be nice if you could let us know if the problem still persists -
Thank you !

Regards
Matthias

PostPosted: Tue 06. Dec 2022 7:45:28 

Unfortunately, the problem is still there. I wasn't able to find a solution.

Thomas said the channel outputs could be out of range? I don't see how, and the statement he made about the default output is 130%, I don't find that to be the case. The defaults are 100% max. Yes, I can go above that, but none of my outputs are out of range.

So right now, if lose the signal, I need to make sure I don't put the throttle stick to minimum, or I won't be able to recover if the signal comes back.

PostPosted: Tue 06. Dec 2022 9:42:14 
Site Admin

Hello,

when you will move with sticks to a minimum and maximum extent and look at the Spirit Settings - Diagnostic tab, can you see that values are not more than 100%?
What is displayed in the radio is not that important, because 100% for FrSky is different than for Futaba. Futaba developed S-BUS protocol and FrSky reverse engineered it. But there are still differences and default FrSky channel range is different.
So each channel require approximately 78% to set as full range in the radio (instead of 100%).