It is currently Sat 04. May 2024 0:28:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon 22. Aug 2022 10:48:13 

Hi.
Firstly, I hope you are well again soon Tomas.

Secondly, and not so importantly, I am having trouble with the governor in my Spirit 2 unit.
In this heli, the idle-up 1 and 2 always seem to either not work or just act strange, sometimes work, sometimes don't, and sometimes it wont slow down.

Finally I decided enough is enough and I will sit down with blades removed and try to figure it out. So I did all calibrations of the ESC again etc.

On the bench, the most obvious thing I can see that looks a bit weird, is that if I start the heli at a high headspeed (say idle-up 2), and then I try to reduce to Normal or idle-up-1, it won't slow down.

It's a HobbyWing Platinum V4 60A.

I also have the telemetry cable wired in, in case there's some kind of compatibility issue.

Here I made a video. In the video, the telem cable is disconnected because I have had the Hobbywing programming box on to confirm that it's set to Airplane / Linear Throttle mode etc.

It's a 30 minute video, so only watch if you have nothing better to do :-)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfc-ExtVY_k[/youtube]

edit: the above should embed the youtube video, but the embedding is only accepted with http:// and not https:// , but then the browser will not accept embedded http in a https page. looks like the forum settings need tweaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfc-ExtVY_k

PostPosted: Mon 22. Aug 2022 11:02:08 
Site Admin

Hello,

I am afraid but testing governor without blades will not work well in the most cases.
There is no load on the motor so it is in a very bad head speed range the most of the time.

It can work reliably only with main blades :(

Holding Performance value seems to be also very high. I recommend to set it to value of 3-4. So high value such as 7 at such small model can cause a problems in the air.

PostPosted: Mon 22. Aug 2022 11:08:31 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hello,

I am afraid but testing governor without blades will not work well in the most cases.
There is no load on the motor so it is in a very bad head speed range the most of the time.

It can work reliably only with main blades :(

Holding Performance value seems to be also very high. I recommend to set it to value of 3-4. So high value such as 7 at such small model can cause a problems in the air.

OK thanks Tomas. I will reduce the holding performance and do some in-air testing. Usually the problem I was seeing before was that it would not go into higher headspeeds consistently. Sometimes it would, but often would not. I was unsure if I was trying to go higher than the battery and motor would allow, but that's not the case.

I'll continue testing in the air, now that I have done all the ESC calibrations again, and confirmed the gearing is OK etc.

Model is a GAUI X3 clone by the way. ALZRC x360.

Thanks for your help, hope you're feeling better soon!

PostPosted: Mon 22. Aug 2022 11:15:12 
Site Admin

From the video I can see that the RPM readings were quite unstable - more than it should be. But this could be due to too high holding value and also because it was without blades.

It is only needed that the throttle curve value is always above 50% for Governor to work. Can you confirm it was all the time over 50%?

PostPosted: Mon 22. Aug 2022 11:16:08 
Site Admin

I also recommend to set slower spoolup rate. This can help to resolve the problem too.

PostPosted: Mon 22. Aug 2022 11:22:05 

ZeXx86 wrote:
From the video I can see that the RPM readings were quite unstable - more than it should be. But this could be due to too high holding value and also because it was without blades.

It is only needed that the throttle curve value is always above 50% for Governor to work. Can you confirm it was all the time over 50%?

Hmm, well, my 'normal' mode is set to +50 on the TX value (TX values are -100 to +100). In spirit diagnostics this shows as 75%, so I think that should be OK?

PostPosted: Mon 22. Aug 2022 11:33:31 
Site Admin

I am not sure if I understand correctly, but for Governor it is needed that throttle curve is flat line.

For example 70% for Idle 1 or 80% for Idle 2 or 90% for Idle 3.
There should be no linear throttle curve or a curve that is changing in a V pattern or similar.

PostPosted: Mon 22. Aug 2022 11:45:54 

ZeXx86 wrote:
I am not sure if I understand correctly, but for Governor it is needed that throttle curve is flat line.

For example 70% for Idle 1 or 80% for Idle 2 or 90% for Idle 3.
There should be no linear throttle curve or a curve that is changing in a V pattern or similar.

That's correct.

I have:
Normal [50] - [50] (flat line)
IdleUp1[75] - [75] (flat line)
IdleUp2[95] - [95] (flat line)

I was explaining that these numbers go from -100 to +100 in my TX, but that in Spirit that is displayed as 0 - 100%, so the 50 becomes 75%

PostPosted: Mon 22. Aug 2022 13:05:27 
Site Admin

Great, now I understand. This seems to be correct.

PostPosted: Mon 22. Aug 2022 17:02:22 

I have just tested outside and it seems to be doing well.

Thanks for your help. I'll delete my YouTube video shortly so that nobody thinks there's problems with the spirit system. Not that many people look at my youtube vids or anything !

By the way, in the software it says that 50us is recommended for most helicopter's spoolup rate. I've set it to 100us as per your recommendation above.

thanks,
Carl