It is currently Thu 18. Apr 2024 15:05:41

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat 16. Jul 2022 9:17:09 

Hi. Maybe somebody can help me.

I just unpacked Kosmik 210 HV-I and it has some telemetry cables included. Especially one of them looks great, because it has spirit satellite port connector on one end, and Kosmik connector on the other.

But connections on the "Kosmik" side look different than what Spirit manual advices (and what I used in the past for Kosmik 200 not "-I"). Signal is on the middle pin.

I know "HV-I" has some "telemetry" extensions and maybe they made some changes, so wondering what cable to use now? And which port, out of 3, to use in Kosmik? Spirit manual doesn't have "HV-I"

I know I can try but would rather not burn the unit by connecting power to wrong place...

Attachment:
20220716_101247.jpg
20220716_101247.jpg [ 3.02 MiB | Viewed 227 times ]

PostPosted: Tue 19. Jul 2022 18:31:25 

Hi, I was actually wondering about the same.

I could not find a Kontronik pinout description. It could be that the cable works as is if for instance there are multiple ground pins in the connector. Since I did not want to take the chance, I just moved the black pin on the Kontronik side to match the custom Spirit cable. If looking at the connector on the Kontronik end from "behind" as you would when plugging it in, the black cable is to the far left (let us call that pin 1). The Spirit cable has the black cable adjecent to the white cable on the right side (pin 4).

You may know how to move the cable without breaking the connector. If not it is really quite simple. Take a small pin (sewing needle works well), lift the small tab locking the pin just a little bit and pull the cable carefully out. Then insert the cable in the desired slot carefully paying attention to the orientation of the cable. It should have the metal piece with the small "dimple" on top as this is what allows the tab to lock the pin.

The above should only take a few minutes, but double check carefully. And then you will enjoy telemetry 8-)

PostPosted: Thu 21. Jul 2022 9:35:51 

alfbo wrote:
Hi, I was actually wondering about the same.

I could not find a Kontronik pinout description. It could be that the cable works as is if for instance there are multiple ground pins in the connector. Since I did not want to take the chance, I just moved the black pin on the Kontronik side to match the custom Spirit cable. If looking at the connector on the Kontronik end from "behind" as you would when plugging it in, the black cable is to the far left (let us call that pin 1). The Spirit cable has the black cable adjecent to the white cable on the right side (pin 4).

You may know how to move the cable without breaking the connector. If not it is really quite simple. Take a small pin (sewing needle works well), lift the small tab locking the pin just a little bit and pull the cable carefully out. Then insert the cable in the desired slot carefully paying attention to the orientation of the cable. It should have the metal piece with the small "dimple" on top as this is what allows the tab to lock the pin.

The above should only take a few minutes, but double check carefully. And then you will enjoy telemetry 8-)

Yes, needle method will work of course.

Ok, now I see that signal is on middle PIN in both. So it's just ground different. I'll test it (will measure first to make sure I don't connect +5 to GND or sth..)

In manual they write that middle port is for Futaba or FrSky.
left and right ports can be configured and support a variety of protocols, including "Kontronik" which they write is needed for MSH Brain.

So it would be interesting to know what protocol is Spirit actually using...

But in any case, probably middle port will work if it worked in 200 HV.

PostPosted: Thu 21. Jul 2022 11:36:39 

I got this working, but it was trial and error...

What works:
- cable not modified (so I'm using a cable that comes with Kosmik 210 HV-I without changes)
- cable connected to the left port (the one on BEC connections side)
- in Kontronik software, this port protocol is configured as "Kontronik" and the right port (LED side) is configured as something else.

If both were configured as "Kontronik" it didn't work. Also connecting to middle port, and selecting Futaba or Frsky didn't work.

PostPosted: Thu 21. Jul 2022 21:44:04 

Thanks for the update - good to know.

So both pin 1 and 4 are ground then.

PostPosted: Sat 23. Jul 2022 12:00:54 

I apologize as I dont mean to hijack this thread but aza - you mentioned something that I have been struggling with for a long time. I'd be so grateful for your advice. I have a Kosmik 200HV (non-I) that I'd like to connect to a SpiritGT for telemetry. I think you mentioned that you had this working in your first post. I'd love to know your configuration.

I have a Spirit Kontronik Telemetry cable plugged directly into the Kosmik (have tried all ports). Can you get telemetry data from a non-I Kosmik to the Spirit without using a Telme?

-Eric

PostPosted: Sat 23. Jul 2022 15:27:43 

Desmohead wrote:
I apologize as I dont mean to hijack this thread but aza - you mentioned something that I have been struggling with for a long time. I'd be so grateful for your advice. I have a Kosmik 200HV (non-I) that I'd like to connect to a SpiritGT for telemetry. I think you mentioned that you had this working in your first post. I'd love to know your configuration.

I have a Spirit Kontronik Telemetry cable plugged directly into the Kosmik (have tried all ports). Can you get telemetry data from a non-I Kosmik to the Spirit without using a Telme?

-Eric

Yes, this worked for me with Kosmik 200. Did you follow the "telme" version of the manual?
http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... _Telemetry

You need to connect the cable to middle port.

PostPosted: Sat 23. Jul 2022 16:28:14 

Azaz,

Thank you for your reply. I've connected the Spirit Kontronik Telemetry cable to the middle port on Kosmik. I have the SpiritGT temetery protocol set to Telme but I get no data. I use this same technique on anther Heli with a Jive and it works great so I'm thinking my transmitter is ok. Which telemetry cable should I be using between the Kosmik and the Spirit? The one that comes with the Kosmik? or special one from Spirit?

Thank you again for taking the time to help.

-Eric

PostPosted: Sat 23. Jul 2022 17:30:39 

Desmohead wrote:
Azaz,

Thank you for your reply. I've connected the Spirit Kontronik Telemetry cable to the middle port on Kosmik. I have the SpiritGT temetery protocol set to Telme but I get no data. I use this same technique on anther Heli with a Jive and it works great so I'm thinking my transmitter is ok. Which telemetry cable should I be using between the Kosmik and the Spirit? The one that comes with the Kosmik? or special one from Spirit?

Thank you again for taking the time to help.

-Eric

It should be same cable as you use for Jive (I also have Jive). So the one from Spirit shop.
If you got some telemetry cable with Kosmik, it is maybe also ok, but maybe you have to change pins. I didn't get any telemetry cable with Kosmik 200, so I made my own or extended the Spirit one (don't remember now).

You also need to select "TelMe" in Spirit.

And I wonder if you have anything to configure in Kosmik? I have such options for HV-I, but for 200 HV I didn't have them. But maybe newer Kosmiks 200 HV have sth and needs to be set properly?

PostPosted: Sat 23. Jul 2022 23:37:22 

Hmm.. I'm using the Spirit Kontronik cable in the middle port on the the Kosmik with Telme selected in the Spirit settings but I don't get any data. I have the Kontronik configuration software that you show but the settings you have circled aren't available to set on mine (looks tone the same on yours). I'm using firmware 4.17 on the Kosmik. You have this working on a Kosmik 200HV (non-I version) ? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. :(

-Eric