It is currently Sun 28. Apr 2024 0:34:37

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu 25. Aug 2022 11:57:23 

Hi Kay,
I'd follow Tomas' advice over mine :P
But to get back to the test I did, raising my headspeed limit to 2500, that caused an immediate full-speed motor response. Which means my gov did engage and that headspeed limit was out of expected range.

Tomas' point about RPM stability or gov gain too high, I'd explore that.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon 29. Aug 2022 20:38:57 

Hi there,
@ZeXx86:
what is meant by governor gain, is it the holding performance?
Tail vibration seem to come from the engine, it still seem to be very fare on the rich side, from mechanical point of view it seems ok. All bearings including the gears were changed during last winter and due to the governor test even there is almost no flight time on it. I will try to lean the engine a little bit more at the mid range...

@Scott:
I assumend the head speed limit was "only" for scaling the value for requested headspeed. I do not exactly know the limit for the 700N.
The automotive sniffer sounds interessting, could you give some more details of what device you are exactly using?

best regards, Kay

PostPosted: Tue 30. Aug 2022 11:52:34 

Kay,
I can't imagine it's that different, but in gasser helicopters rich tunes always result in sharp wagging tails, as the engine is leaned out to a desired level, the tail settles.

Regarding the Max Head speed limit, I believe the Wiki calls for setting it to the maximum you want to run the rpm for your heli. This way, 100% of a flat throttle curve results in your maximum head speed setting. Same logic is applied for reduced percentages 60%, 70%. 80% etc. All result in easily calculated head speeds. If you define that as scaling, okay. When the Max Head Speed is set to high, and the governor can't attain it, that's when unexpected results happen i.e. full throttle output even though a flat curve is set to something other than 100%.

search for Automotive Stethoscope, here is a link to one that I found: https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64058 ... B004KEHGZY

Now that you seem to have the governor working, it's a good time to plan out how you are going to tune it. Before you tune the gov though, the engine should be broken in well enough that you can tune it so that it isn't overly rich. Governors don't like to govern engines that don't respond well.

I found that using the real-time tuning was a great time saver and made it easy to observe the setting differences. Set Governor Response and Holding Performance to F:Channels. I assigned them to dials on the radio. While flying, follow the Spirit tuning guides in the Wiki. In one flight the governor can be tuned. It's an awesome feature. Though Holding Limit cannot be set through F: Channel, that isn't as critical and you can tweak that each time you land, until overspeeding is minimal or acceptable to you.

Good luck as you progress.

PostPosted: Mon 05. Sep 2022 11:35:29 

Hi Scott,

yes I meant that by scaling.

current status:

engine is running little bit more lean and rather smooth now. I tried to start hovering with low requested head speed and than switch to "normal" headspeed. Unfortunately I did not get the gov. engaged message, but "RPM Sensor data are too noisy". I never had this before. Setup was not changed, still the Ferrit installed in the sensor cable. I increased the rpm sensor filter value till maximum but no change.

Next I changed the sensor cable to a shielded one, the shield is also conected to ground at the conection to the spirit.
...well, now I have at each flight the gov engaged message but still again this noisy sensor data message. It is the same if rpm sensor filter is set to 5 or to 8.
I mean, I changed to two magnets and to spirit sensor. What should cause this message?

best regards, Kay

PostPosted: Mon 05. Sep 2022 13:54:33 

Hi Kay,
Getting closer, I'd say.

You didn't mention it, so just confirming, you did also use a ferrite ring or band in addition to the shielded RPM sensor wire?

In a flight log, how many entries contain the noise rpm data, a few times over the course of the flight would seem to be okay, every entry for 30s - 1 minute is not.

I mentioned once about wiring. Do you have the RPM sensor running parallel with any power wires, might want to consider changing that.

Is this a belted tail? Might want to make sure continuous ground from tailbox to main frame.

Not knowing nitro helis, is it recommended or not, that the motor is grounded to the frame (I would expect that the motor mounts would ground the motor to the frame).

One thing not to overlook is if the governor is actually governing the motor. Now that the gov is engaged, and depending on the level of noisy rpm sensor data, the governor might actually be doing it's job. As the motor breakin is completed and as a byproduct the tune gets better and better, it's also time to implement the real-time tuning for the governor.

I've never totally eliminated the noisy rpm sensor data. I still get one/two per flight, sometimes as many as six, but the governor works fine this way. I find it helpful to look at the log on a computer where I see the whole of the flight in a PDF on the laptop. Looking at a log on the screen of a Jeti is painful. If its all you have, that's one thing, but I love seeing repeating good health messages on the log.

I think you are getting closer, hang in there!

PostPosted: Mon 05. Sep 2022 14:05:31 

Hi Scott,

actually, I removed the ferrite as the cable is shielded. You are right, the log via the DC12 is not that comfortable but at the moment all I have. But with the 3.4.2 software the DC shows at least 2 entries at once, so it's getting better ;)
This "noisy sensor data" message occurs right after "gov engaged" message but only once. I will have a look on that.
Next step will be to tune the gov, I will follow your idea to put the parameters on a channel to tune it in flight...
Thanks for your input.

best regards, Kay

PostPosted: Wed 04. Oct 2023 20:24:02 

Hello,
I would like to give an update the issue is still not solved yet.

After latest hint regarding stable rpm reading from ZeXx86 (https://www.spirit-system.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5750#p41512) I was convinced that I got it. I replaced the Magnets to new ones (1 north and 1 south) and the Sensor again, have a stabile rpm reading now and the gov was working for the 2 flights I did at the desired speed(1712rpm).
Today, one week later, the first flight was the same success as last week. Then I changed the spoolup speed from very low to low without powering off the unit. After restart the eingine spoolup behavior was as expected but rpm instead of 1712 now 1796. I thought maybe an issue with the spoolup speed so I changed it back to "very slow". Start engine again but, instead of requested 1712rpm stabile headspeed at around 1796. Next I did a complete power off and switch on after a few seconds hoping this will do the thing, start engine again and now governed 1846rpm. Checked the log after this flight, it tells "noisy sensor data".
As the rpm Reading is stable at the Display, what the hell is going on? The sensor (xguard stabilized type) is tight in place also the magnets, no changes at the TX. How to proceed now?
best regards, Kay