It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 13:16:07

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed 13. Apr 2022 2:18:52 

I have a Spirit Pro that i ordered back in 2015. I run this on a 700 gasser and it has been updated to 3.1.0. I also run a Jeti radio

I have three questions.
1) what is the upgrade path? Can I upgrade directly to 3.3.3 (I think that is the current version) or do I have to step through all the updates since 3.1.0?

2) Should I be worried about wear and tear over the years. I have many many flights on this unit, maybe 700 or 800 (might be even more).

3) Has the governor been updated since 3.1.0. I have read over the release notes and no mention of governor updates.

Thanks,
Scott

PostPosted: Wed 13. Apr 2022 13:34:10 
Site Admin

Hello

1) You can update directly. Then please check the operation carefully.
2) The unit should last at least 10 years if there were no big damages and it was stored in a normal humidity environment.
3) There were some updates. So we can recommend to update in each case.

PostPosted: Thu 14. Apr 2022 0:01:46 

When I upgraded to 3.3.3 my elevator and pitch servo swapped controls. That's when I noticed the channel position on the new Spirit Pro's are different than the older Spirit Pro's. The current version has Channel 0 next to the Sys port, but mine has Channel 4 next to the sys port.

I went through the wizard to not miss anything, but if I follow the current guide and place the appropriate mapped servos in the suggested channel positions, the cyclic servos do not appear to be operating in the right directions. I've fussed with servo directions and channel mapping some, but this set up doesn't appear to be working for me and why I'm posting on this again.

Should I be following a different mapping for my old Spirit Pro. Or continue to work off the new mapping layout.

Help please, Scott

PostPosted: Thu 14. Apr 2022 7:13:07 
Site Admin

Hello,

all Spirit Pro are identical regarding channels. There is no difference for Spirit Pro released in 2015 or 2020.

This mean that your Spirit unit is not Pro but the first Spirit unit. For this it is enough to proceed according instructions for Spirit (1), not the Pro.
You can see wiring in our manual and software for all Spirit units. If using very old firmware like 1 or 2.3< version then servo wiring could be really different when compared to the latest 3. But not between 3.1 and 3.3.
See the manual: http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.php?title=Wiring

PostPosted: Thu 14. Apr 2022 14:03:31 

Thanks for the clarification and my error.

My situation has gone from bad to worse.

I started over, reset servo directions in my radio, reconnected servo wires as the wiring guide illustrates, went through the wizard, got the servos moving in the correct direction per the diagnose tab, next, to servo reversing in wizard, servos just don't behave properly, no matter what I tried.

Disgusted, I tried to downgrade to my old version to see if it was something in 3.3.3. I uninstalled 3.3.3 and removed the driver, reinstalled the 3.1.0, and driver, restarted the computer. connected USB to sys port powered up heli, started software, Spirit software described the mismatch and opened - went to the update tab, chose the 3.1.0 firmware and flashed. Flashed never finished and now the Spirit has a slow flashing red light.

Attempted to follow: http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... ing_Failed and I could not get the Spirit software to open or get beyond the logo of searching for units.

I connected a second Spirit to the computer and that opened fine, so to me any, seems like the Spirit software and driver are working.

Now I'm stuck ! (and I feel like an idiot)

PostPosted: Thu 14. Apr 2022 14:17:13 
Site Admin

Hello,

it is not possible to flash version 3.1.0 and older. Version 3.1.0 was the last one that used the old flashing method. After flashing 3.2 and newer firmware formats and unit is converted to this. This is irreversible for security reasons unfortunately.
Old firmwares are not compatible anymore.

There is basically nothing you have to do about servos or anything else. You can use completely same settings as for 3.1.0.

Please proceed according this:
http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... ing_Failed

You have to use the latest Spirit Settings software.

If you can see Searching Devices message - then please turn Bluetooth in your computer.

PostPosted: Thu 14. Apr 2022 21:49:10 

I was able to flash the drive, but only after I disabled another device in the ports section in the Device manager it is called Intel Active management Tech. When that was enabled, Spirit application seemed to only see that com port and not the driver com port (I took a photo if you'd like to see it. Once that was disabled the process was smooth and flawless.

Once 3.3.3 was updated in the unit, I connected wires as they were supposed to be, in the diagnostic tab, control surfaces and stick throws match. But when all was said and done, the servos connected: 1 Pitch, 2 Elevator, 3 aileron, did not work right at all and no amount of fussing seemed to correct the odd servo behavior. I finally gave up and found the factor default button on the back up tab which I selected. I wasn't looking forward to resetting everything, but whatever, I needed to try it as I was getting nowhere.

Well, the moment Spirit came back on line, all the servos worked correctly, no fussing required. I decided to try to load the profile I had saved in 3.1.0 (cuase that was exactly how I wanted the heli to be set up) and got the normal warning about version difference and to look over the surfaces carefully. But it all worked great. I now need to run Soko Heli tools and make sure the head geometry is right and servo positions are right, but at least that's easy to do form here.

Once I'm done with the Soko tools I'll get back to the governor issues and see if I can make headway on making that work.

I've always had such great luck with Spirit upgrades, this one wasn't easy. Thanks for having the factory default button there, made my life easier.