It is currently Thu 18. Apr 2024 10:12:48

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Updating old units
PostPosted: Fri 01. Apr 2022 12:43:18 

Hello,

i want to update a old Red Spirit and a grey Spirit Pro, with both units i am on 2.6.1.

In one of the Firmware releases was stated prior to doing the update to be sure that the process is working. So here is a very important note: Since my last update 2019 i have bought a new computer with which i have never done a firmware upgrade.

Now what is the right way to update.

1) Can i go directly to 3.3.3 without risking to brick my units?
2) If not what is the right update order to survive the ordeal safely? In case i need a version in between, i would kindly ask for a download link.

I kindly ask for your assistance.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Updating old units
PostPosted: Sun 03. Apr 2022 19:11:11 
Site Admin

1) With Mac computers there is much higher chance it could fail, but with other computers it should be fine. Transition is more complicated there than normally.
In the worst case we can flash it for free, even if it will fail for any reason. So no need to worry it will not work anymore.

2) You can use the latest version of the software and use it for updating both Spirit units.

PostPosted: Wed 06. Apr 2022 14:12:24 

Thank you, i will give it a shot in the next few days. Fingers crossed that everything will working out.

PostPosted: Sat 16. Apr 2022 16:28:04 

Hello,

little update:
I tried flashing my Spirit Pro with the Software V3.3.3, but as soon as i click flash, the software hangs itself at 0% and the light of my Spirit Pro just goes out. Nothing happens after that for 5mins, so i disconnected power as the unit was off anyways already.
The good thing, the unit is not damaged yet and will still connect to V2.6.1. I am not trying it with my red Spirit until a solution is found for the Pro.

So do you have another way that i can safely upgrade the Firmware, maybe with some .4df files? Or some firmware versions in between? I kindly ask for the neccessary files.

Thank you and happy Easter.

Best Regards

PostPosted: Sun 17. Apr 2022 20:25:11 

Two things allowed my older Spirit to update for me, turn off bluetooth on the computer, and turning off other items in the device manager that was using ports ( I had one other item in the port section of the device manager that Spirit locked onto the com port and refused to connect to the right adapter). Once I disabled that (you can and should enable again afterwards), my older Spirit flashed in the 20 seconds that is elsewhere described.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue 19. Apr 2022 13:23:45 

Scott H wrote:
Two things allowed my older Spirit to update for me, turn off bluetooth on the computer, and turning off other items in the device manager that was using ports ( I had one other item in the port section of the device manager that Spirit locked onto the com port and refused to connect to the right adapter). Once I disabled that (you can and should enable again afterwards), my older Spirit flashed in the 20 seconds that is elsewhere described.

Good luck.

Thank you for those hints. I am using a tower pc which has no bluetooth and device manager is only showing one COM port when i plug in the units, so there is nothing to disable for me. Also i can connect to the units and change settings with version V2.6.1 and also version 3.3.3 is detecting the unit, but as soon as i press the flash button, the fbl unit is shutting down.

PostPosted: Sat 23. Apr 2022 9:59:54 

I still have no luck. I tried to use a different USB and tested USB 2.0 and 3.0. I tried to flash version 3.3.1 first, but also no luck. Unit shuts down immediatly!

@ZeXx86: Do you have any advice or download link for older versions, which may work as inbetween steps?

PostPosted: Sat 23. Apr 2022 15:26:31 
Site Admin

Hello,

first from all it is important to find what the Status LED is doing when you power up the unit.
If it starts pulsating smoothly, then it mean you can use recovery with the latest software. And you can proceed according this guide:
http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... ing_Failed

If you can see just short flash of the LED light during power up, then the unit has still old firmware and bootloader in it. And for this you will need old software. I will send you link for the software 2.6 in that case.

Can you check what is the current condition?

PostPosted: Tue 26. Apr 2022 20:20:13 

I checked my units and in my opinion they are flashing smoothly a few times before the light goes solid. So the red light is fading on and off slowly a few times, if this is what you meant by flashing smoothly.

So i tried recovery flashing. What happens there is that the unit is happily finishing its boot up until the red light goes solid. Meanwhile the update process is stuck at 0% and the software is not responding anymore. Of course the unit was not updated.
I tried to press the flash button immediatly after powering up the unit and i also tried to flash after the light was solid. No success so far with recovery either.

A download link for version 2.6 is not neccessary because this is the version which i currently have in use and also installed.
But what i was thinking as a possible "solution" was to go to 2.8 or whatever software would work as a step in between (would need a download link for any of those ofc) and work from there up to 3.3.3.

Any more useful tips how i could gain access to V3.3.3?

Edit: Maybe it is possible to flash the firmware .4df file for V3.3.3 into the units using the software version 2.6?
Because with this software i can connect to the units without issues and with this software the user can or has to select a .4df file which he wants to flash. What do you think? Or would this brick the units. I really dont want to send them in. :)

PostPosted: Tue 26. Apr 2022 21:15:31 
Site Admin

Hello,

if you are getting solid LED light after couple of pulses, then this mean the unit is working normally and does not require any recovery mode.
You should be able to connect to it with your USB interface normally.

If this is still the case, then the only issue is in the USB driver. You might require to update it. I can guide you how to do it.
First it is needed to downloaded the latest version.

Or just use other computer. With windows or linux it should just work. With Mac, especially with older version such as 2.6 it require correct system driver for flashing. There are versions that are not working properly.