It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 18:24:23

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu 16. Dec 2021 20:21:20 

Hello,

There are a few posts floating about with regards to calibrating the unit to address stabilization 'drift' and the like. Is it possible to find out what the process might be, please?

I have a Trex 550 running an original Spirit unit, with latest f/w. All other aspects are fine, and have been for a few years, but recently I added stabilization to help teach someone to fly. What seems to happen is that a drift (forwards, and to the left) starts off gradually, and gets worse over the flight, resulting in having to hold *a lot* of stick in to keep the helicopter in place.

Switching out of stabilization causes the helicopter to 'kick' quite aggressively, but the drift is gone - until you go back into stabilization mode, where it starts over again, getting progressively worse.

Some occasions it is better than others, but there is always a distinct drift there.

Based on what I have read elsewhere, it would be great if I could attempt the re-calibration of the unit to see if that had a positive impact.

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sat 18. Dec 2021 8:57:45 
Site Admin

Hello,

first from all I recommend to check this page:

http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... ise_Rescue

Especially you can look at section 2.

Is your unit first Spirit, right?

PostPosted: Fri 21. Jan 2022 20:07:01 

Firstly, thanks for your swift response to my original query - and secondly, sorry for my slow reply.

Due to a period of time where I couldn't get out flying with the student, so I have yet to try things, but this weekend looks possible. With regards to the points:

Quote:
first from all I recommend to check this page:

http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... ise_Rescue

Confirming all points in sections 1 & 3 are as detailed in the manual.

Quote:
Especially you can look at section 2.

It seems to me that 'Extended Signal Processing' is something to try, so I shall do that first, although I have never had vibration issues with this unit or helicopter, which it has been installed in since purchase. With regards to 'Stabi Correction', I am not sure it will help as it states it is for:

Quote:
performing complicated maneuvers

...and we are simply hovering and flying flat, tail-in, square circuits. Hardly complicated ;)

I presume it will make little difference, then - but can try in any case.

Quote:
Is your unit first Spirit, right?

Yes, one of the original Spirit units; it is a 'Spirit (Black Edition)' bought back on 2019-03-14.

Thanks again, and I shall update with the outcomes.

PostPosted: Tue 22. Mar 2022 16:54:49 

It's been a while, but we finally got to test things this past weekend.

Sadly, despite enabling 'Extended Signal Processing', the drift is still present when running with stablisation.

I believe the next step would be to calibrate the unit? If so, could you please let me know how to do this? It is the original Spirit unit if that makes any difference to the process.

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Tue 22. Mar 2022 19:39:18 

Hi,
what about the vibration level of the heli? did you check vibrations on all axes - what is the result? (vibrations could cause such problems)