It is currently Mon 13. May 2024 17:23:23

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun 05. Dec 2021 1:35:10 

Trying to set my GTR to rate mode for the tail and having problems. I 'm setting up a new heli and I like to mechanically adjust the tail pushrod by putting the gyro into rate mode and hovering at my Idle-up 2 headspeed, then adjusting the pushrod for hand-off yaw. I've always done this on the Brain2 without issue.

I can't seem to get the GTR into rate mode. In the diagnostics tab, I can see that my Gyro channel is definitely going from +50% in Idle-up 1 to negative 50% for idle-up 2, and back to +50% for idle-up 3. I don't remember which tab it is, but I think its the diagnostic tab that shows you which mode the gyro is in. No matter what gain value I have (positive or negative) the software sez I'm in "Heading Hold" mode. It never changes.

Is there a bug in the software? Has anyone sucessfully put their Gyro into Rate Mode (not heading hold mode)?

Tnjet

PostPosted: Sun 05. Dec 2021 8:45:54 

do you have stabilization / rescue on a dedicated channel? if not: negative Gyro gain will activate rescue instead and not rate mode. stability / rescue must be on a separate channel for this to work.

you can test this very easily with settings software (even in demo mode) by removing the channel from gyro in channel setup, then playing with Gyro value in "Stabi" tab. as soon as the value is negative it changes from heading hold to normal mode.

Ciao
Michael

PostPosted: Sun 05. Dec 2021 18:04:10 

Yes, I have Rescue controlled by another channel (not by negative gyro gain). I'll try the "set in software" route, but really want to control it by my Flight Mode switch. On the Brain FBL, it was very noticeable when you went from Heading Hold mode to Rate Mode. In Heading hold, the tail blades would try to correct and stay in place when you rotate the heli. In Rate Mode, the tail blades would initially correct, then slowly move back to a neutral position. I don't see this behavior on the Spirit.

Also, does the "Heading Hold" label under the gyro knob ever indicate Rate Mode? I know its grayed out when you have a gyro gain channel set, but when controlling gyro gain by the transmitter, does that label ever change to rate mode?

PostPosted: Sun 05. Dec 2021 20:57:28 
Site Admin

Hello,

please set Stabi/Function to Disabled.
Then you can control Gyro mode with Gyro Gain. Negative Gyro gain will result always in Rate mode.
You will see the mode in the Diagnostic tab.

PostPosted: Mon 06. Dec 2021 23:48:38 

Well....I finally got this to work. Not sure why I had to disable the Rescue function, but that did it.

That brings up another question.......If Rescue function has to be disabled in the stabi tab, to get the gyro into rate mode, then can I control tail gain with the gyro function of my Jeti with Rescue enabled? I thought I could control tail gain by the transmitter......I'm confused.

PostPosted: Tue 07. Dec 2021 7:37:28 

Hi

of course you can control Gyro gain from Tx. i do have i.e. Gyro gain per bank (as of standard) plus a trimmer to fine tune it per bank - all from Jeti Tx Gyro channel. the only thing not working is setting Gyro into rate/normal mode once rescue is setup (and there would be no sense in doing so anyhow).

PostPosted: Wed 08. Dec 2021 0:15:20 

Wow.....I think I'm even more confused now.

Your comment: "The only thing not working is setting Gyro into rate/normal mode once rescue is setup (and there would be no sense in doing so anyhow)"

What in the world does that mean?......How are the functions of Rescue and Gyro Gain related? I can absolutely see a need to control the gyro mode (either heading hold or rate mode) and rescue independently. In fact, I see absolutely no connection between the two. They are two very separate and distinct functions.

I suspect this has something to do with the FBL firmware and how its written/implemented for the GTR.......further, I bet it has something to do with the work-around to accommodate transmitters that don't have enough channels to control things independently. Specifically, setting the gyro gain channel to a negative value to activate rescue is a process only necessary for transmitter system with limited channels.

Based on the comments above......I request a firmware revision that allows gyro gain channel value to control the gyro function (heading hold vs rate mode) as well as the actual gain of the gyro.....regardless of the state of the stabi channel assignment. This is very confusing as it is implemented.

PostPosted: Wed 08. Dec 2021 11:02:06 
Site Admin

You can set it in the following way:
Set General - Channels - Bank Switching - to a free channel - channel 7 usually
Set General - Channels - Special Function - F: Stabi Function - channel 8 for example
For Bank 0 set Stabi/Function - Rescue
For Bank 1 set Stabi/Function - Disabled

Then you can engage Rescue at any time independently of Gyro Gain. If you really need Rate mode, then switch to Bank 1.

Can you explain for what reason you need Rate mode? Since it is quite unusual unless you are flying a scale models. It is needed only for initial tuning.
Spirit unit really do not need to tune tail in rate mode, pratically you do not have to use it at all even during initial setup.

Yes, default settings is so that you can control Gyro Gain and at the same time engage Rescue or other function with the same channel. So you have more free channels for other purposes.

PostPosted: Wed 08. Dec 2021 19:22:16 

Thank you......

As you mentioned above, the only time I need it is in initial set-up of the heli. Maybe its leftover from the rate mode only gyro days, but when first setting up a heli, I like to pick a headspeed (typically its my middle head speed that is a rough average of my idle-up1, idle-up 2 and idle-up 3 speeds), then set the gyro to rate mode and hover at that middle (idle-up 2) headspeed. If the tail pushrod is not the proper length, the heli will yaw either nose left or nose right with no yaw input from the stick.

I then adjust the tail pushrod either in or out until the heli hovers with no yaw and little to no stick input. In the old rate gyro days, this was called mechanically setting-up your tail. This is very much akin to mechanically setting-up your collective servos so you get equal swashplate/pitch throw positive and negative. Seems like a tail that is mechanically centered would perform better than one that is having to constantly fight to overcome and correct an incorrect pushrod length.

So you are saying above, that there is no need to set-up the tail mechanically when using the Spirit system? Let's take this to an extreme.....what if the tail pushrod were 1 inch too long or too short. Wouldn't you run out of tail pushrod movement due to the servo only being to move so far? In other words, wouldn't you be better off if the average servo position while flying was closer to 0 than to 90?

One last scenario..... What if you wanted to run rate mode on your gyro while autorotating? Is there no way to do that without using Bank switching or disabling Rescue?

PostPosted: Sat 11. Dec 2021 16:03:33 

I have the same problem with my GT and in this thread just found the reason.
I want to change to rate any time I want, that's how I'm used to fly all these years. I don't understand why such a high end unit has such a bizzare restriction.

I consider this to be a bug and I'm waiting for a firmware upgrade soon....

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

Last edited by xmixail on Sat 11. Dec 2021 16:28:00, edited 1 time in total.