It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024 0:35:13

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed 24. Nov 2021 17:52:15 

Definitely re-flash to the latest (NON-VBAR) firmware. I did the same thing a few months ago and unless you are using VBAR, it will not work. Use the Align ESC software to reprogram the Align ESC.

You will most likely not get any telemetry data unless you have the blades on and the motor spooled-up. This is a problem using ESC's that are overiszed as they have a hard time sensing amperage/mah used at low amperages. Running your heli on the bench without blades will probably not show any amperage/mah used.

Not sure what you are doing with the pull-up resistor on the throttle channel. I don't fly Futaba, so I'm assuming it's something do do with that. Hook-up the wiring per the instructions and it will work.

PostPosted: Wed 24. Nov 2021 18:10:59 

I had to use Align Asbox software with the Hobbywing program box to update my ESC with the latest Align firmware
The Hobbywing box works to program the Align ESC but their software does not recognise it
Just waiting for some decent weather to try it now
If it doesn't work I'll put a genuine Hobbywing on

PostPosted: Thu 25. Nov 2021 1:01:31 

Andy,

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Align branded ESC. Don't give up yet. The Align ESC is actually a Hobbywing that has the Align brand on it. I actually prefer the Align brand in the 130A size, as it has larger input (battery) and output (motor) wire gauge than the 130A Hobbywing. You are correct, you use the Hobbywing programming hardware box and the Align programming software. Just select the most recent version that IS NOT VBAR. Make sure that is loaded and you are all set.

You will need blades on the heli, and the heli spooled up for the amperage to register. Depending on which FBL you are using, you may need to "calibrate" the mah used, as the current sensors on most ESC's aren't very accurate.

PostPosted: Thu 25. Nov 2021 6:41:05 

Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for your inputs. I went back to the programmer box and reload the existing Align ESC SW without V-Bar.

Furthermore, after seen here that Align and HW ESC share same SW settings, I believe I am making a big mistake with the telemetry wiring too. I was using my existing setup for CC ESC with 10K pull up resistor ( in place of Telem CC cable) on the ESC throttle control line, RPM wire connect to PIT on Spirit Pro and expecting telemetry data will come up.

In fact, if the Align and HW ESCs share same or similar SW, I should use HW telemetry wiring method with Telem UNI cable connect to SAT1 port and ESC programming port. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I guess I have to order or make Telem UNI cable and redo the wiring.

Dear Andy, did you make the same mistake as I did?

Mr.Tomas, is it possible for us make the Telem UNI cable by ourselves? I did make the Telem CC cable as per Spirit instructions before. Are they share the same wiring method (10K resistor between (+) and signal line and (+) line disable)?

Regards,

Amal

Attachments:
2021-11-25 10_51_30-Window.jpg
2021-11-25 10_51_30-Window.jpg [ 21.94 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]
2021-11-25 10_50_09-Window.jpg
2021-11-25 10_50_09-Window.jpg [ 14.5 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]
2021-11-25 10_49_40-Window.jpg
2021-11-25 10_49_40-Window.jpg [ 29.88 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]

PostPosted: Thu 25. Nov 2021 14:53:47 

Yes....hook up the esc according to the HW instructions. You should not need the pull-up resistor. I'm not sure what Align ESC you are using, but probably need a UNI cable connected to the SAT1 as you mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu 25. Nov 2021 18:35:06 

tnjet, I haven't given up yet. I just need to get to the field to try it as the heli needs to be running to get telemetry

Amal, I have mine wired with uni cable between the esc and spirit sat port . I also have the telemetry wired between Rx Telemetry port and spirit system port for integration .
The esc yellow wire is not connected at all as I thought this was only needed to use the Spirit governor

Will I get RPM telemetry without the yellow wire connected to the pit pin . I haven't checked this on my other heli's with Hobbywing so I'm not sure if it works or not

I am using Graupner MZ32 Tx and GR16 Rx with Spirit 2

PostPosted: Fri 26. Nov 2021 6:58:56 

Dear Andy,

Your wiring seems to be completed as Spirit requires. I wonder why you wont get the results.

I had connected the Yellow RPM wire into FC (Spirit Pro) and I am getting solid RPM reading. I am using Futaba radio and RX and I had to use another Spirit made cable to connect the FC and RX via S-Bus2. You may connect the yellow wire and see the results. It wont make any harm. If HX and Align share same features, you must get RPM reading from that.

By the way, could you describe the connection wire sequence of UNI cable, on both ends. I am thinking to make a temporary cable and try. I had seen on several places Mr.Tomas commented that just removing the RED wire between ESC programming and SAT1 cable shall do the job. I just want to be sure. Mr.Tomas didn't answer my question regarding the self-made UNI cable yet.

If I order the cable from Spirit now, it will take minimum 2 weeks to reach to my end. ;)

Mr.Tnjet, I have Align RCE-BL80A ESC on Trex 500XT frame with Futaba TX and RX with Spirit Pro FC.

Regards,

Amal

PostPosted: Fri 26. Nov 2021 8:40:44 
Site Admin

You can create Telem UNI cable easily with JST connector and servo cable. Only signal and ground wires must be connected, otherwise ESC or Spirit unit can be damaged.

Yes, Telem CC must be disconnected actually. It will not work with this cable at all.
RPM wire can be connected, but if you are not using Spirit Governor, then RPM from telemetry is fine. So all data will be transmitted including RPM over the Telem UNI.

PostPosted: Fri 26. Nov 2021 8:49:19 

Mr.Tomas,

Thank you very much for the clarification. Does it look like as the attached photograph? I just found it from another member's post. If so I can easily make it.

Regards,

Amal

Attachments:
DSC_0035.JPG
DSC_0035.JPG [ 5.03 MiB | Viewed 134 times ]

PostPosted: Fri 26. Nov 2021 8:50:51 
Site Admin

Yes, this is latest version of the Telem UNI cable.