It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 15:31:45

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed 23. Jun 2021 20:55:53 

Hi,

I tried to get telemetry data from my Castle Edge 50 ESC but it does not work. I have a Futaba RC and the telemetry from the Spirit unit works fine - I got the throttle percentage via the PWM slot and vibration level via the BEC Current slot.
The Spirit unit is on the latest version 3.2.2.
I also configured the throttle channel to 60Hz and enabled the Castle Creations telemetry. The ESC is connected to AUX (unit has only one AUX port).
The Castle ESC is on version 4.25, the Live Link is enabled and I soldered a 10kOhm resistor between the red wire and the orange wire from the ESC (the forth wire is white but I assume this is not meant since this is for other purposes!?).

With the resistor, the ESC does not arm and the BEC voltage is 4.4 volts although I have configured 5.8 volts. When I remove the resistor again, the ESC arms, the BEC voltage shows 5.8 volts but the telemetry does not work.

Is there anything else I could check?

Thanks,
Peter

PostPosted: Sun 26. Sep 2021 15:58:21 

I think your issue relates to a question I have. You put the 10k resistor between the orange (throttle signal) and red (BEC) wires.

The manual says "For Experts: Alternatively you can modify your current Throttle cable by adding 10kOhm resistor between white (signal) and red (+) wires. In this case the Telemetry cable is not required"

The way I understand this is that the resistor is supposed to go between the white (rpm/whatever you want) and red (BEC) cables.

Is this an error in the Spirit manual?

PostPosted: Sun 26. Sep 2021 16:46:29 

The resistor goes between the red wire and orange wire not the white rpm wire....

PostPosted: Sun 26. Sep 2021 17:28:02 

Thank you 10x

This answers my question but unfortunately doesn't help you Peter.

Can someone with authority please edit the manual?

PostPosted: Sun 26. Sep 2021 19:28:07 

Hi all,

thanks for your comments.

The problem has been solved: my Spirit unit is a very old Spirit unit - one of the first hardware versions. In order to work with the Castle Edge ESC telemetry a hardware modification of the unit was required.

Regarding the 10k resistor: the resistor has to be placed between the (+) wire and the throttle signal wire (pull-up resistor). In the case of the Castle ESC, I can confirm that it is the red and the orange wire.

Regards,
Peter