It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024 9:37:38

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Tail Wag Tuning
PostPosted: Mon 05. Jul 2021 21:38:15 

Hello,
I have an OXY 4 Max that I am getting a slow tail wag on. The linkage is butter smooth and will fall under its own weight in all orientations. I also have the upgraded cnc machined bell crank. I have a KST X15-755X servo. I am not sure where the Rudder Delay should be set for this servo, I currently have it at 3. I originally had a servo arm that gave me end point limits of approximately 90 and 105. I did change it to a shorter arm. My endpoints are now 140 and 140. Tail wag with both arms. Rudder gain is at 60. Piro Consistency is at 180. It still has a slow tail wag and will blow out a few inches on pitch pumps. I did drop the rotation speed down to 7. I currently have it set up relatively tame, I am a beginner. The cyclic is good on the default settings. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Chris

Post subject: Re: Tail Wag Tuning
PostPosted: Tue 06. Jul 2021 22:46:41 
Site Admin

Hello,

try to set Pirouette Consistency to 170 and then Revomix to 3-4. This should resolve the problem.
With OXY 4 it require a lot of effort to make tail to work perfectly. If you have a ball reamer it can help a lot. All ball linkages are not moving smoothly from new kit.
Revomix will help a lot. Then adding Gyro Gain little bit should make it even better.

If it will be still not perfect, then you could try to increase Pirouette Consistency higher, because some KST servos require special settings.
Value 190 can work well in this case.

PostPosted: Wed 07. Jul 2021 3:31:28 

ZeXx86,
Thank you very much for your reply. You are definitely correct about the ball links. They were very tight when new. I do have a reamer, and I did size them during assembly. I have not tried adding Revomix, I will try this along with the other settings that you have suggested.

Thanks again
ChrisM

PostPosted: Fri 09. Jul 2021 2:57:51 

ZeXx86,
I tried the settings you suggested. It did help a little, but I had to increase settings a bit. Here is where I am now.

I have the Rudder Gain at 85%
Revomix is at 7
Pirouette Consistency is at 190.

At these levels the tail blowout is almost gone, still there, but minimal. I may increase Revomix to 8. The tail still has a little bit of wag at times, but almost gone. My concern is, I am starting to get a little bit if oscillations. For example, if I am descending quickly, and stop descent with a pitch increase, the tail will oscillate a little. Also at any abrupt change of direction, it will oscillate. These oscillations are minimal, but I feel with more aggressive maneuvers, oscillations could be worse.

I would also like to remind that my heli is set up relatively mild. I am running 2500 headspeed, and only about 9 degrees of pitch. I do not know how this affects the setup.
What is the reason for the increased effort in setup for the OXY 4 Max that you indicate? I do have the ball links correctly sized, and also the pitch slider, linkages, and tail grips move with no resistance. It really is smooth from endpoint to endpoint. I know you suggested that KST servos can require special settings. Would you suggest another servo in it's place? Any other suggestions?

Thank you
ChrisM