It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 9:23:46

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue 16. Mar 2021 11:08:56 

Hello,

I found a previous post about this here, where it seems telemetry from the Align branded HobbyWing 130A ESC was being successfully seen.

My issue is that despite using that same f/w version on the Align ESC (4.0.4), I cannot seem to see any telemetry data via my Spektrum DX9 - despite the integration having been completed as per the guide, and working for all other aspects. I followed the ESC telemetry guide. I even upgraded to the later ESC f/w that allows use of VBAR in case that added anything that might inadvertently help here, but nothing changed.

What is slightly odd is that I see absolute zero values for the telemetry data (except FET temperature which is always 100C) when everything is plugged in - however, if I unplug the telemetry cable for the ESC, I see nothing (just dashes) in all fields, so it looks like the ESC is sending *something* that is being interpreted, just not what is expected perhaps?

On the Spektrum integration side, I am using an SPM4649T and the DX9 is now running 2.08 (no crossfire); when I configured it all, some time back, I was able to see the 'Text Gen' entry for telemetry - however, since the upgrade to 2.08, I can no longer see that as an option in the telemetry menu as detailed the transmitter preparation section of the manual. Is this expected?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue 16. Mar 2021 20:26:51 

Quote:
On the Spektrum integration side, I am using an SPM4649T and the DX9 is now running 2.08 (no crossfire); when I configured it all, some time back, I was able to see the 'Text Gen' entry for telemetry - however, since the upgrade to 2.08, I can no longer see that as an option in the telemetry menu as detailed the transmitter preparation section of the manual. Is this expected?

Apparently that is expected with the newer f/w on Spektrum - it's automagic and only when a telemetry capable receiver is connected or some such.

I still can't get the ESC telemetry to work sadly, but noted that I can get the RPM readout working using the signal wire as described in the manual. Having set the poles and drive ratio as directed for governor, if I set the Spektrum telemetry readout for ESC to inhibit poles and use a 1:1 ratio, I get matching results from the Spirit tester and the radio, and a manual tacho check is very close - so I have what a I really wanted (for now), but the lack of proper ESC telemetry is unfortunate.

PostPosted: Tue 16. Mar 2021 21:16:37 
Site Admin

Hello,

it is important to not use firmware for VBar otherwise telemetry will not work, please use previous one.
It is also important to use correct Satellite port and to set HobbyWing Telemetry in the Spirit Settings.

Then it should work.

PostPosted: Tue 16. Mar 2021 21:58:27 

Hello,

Thanks for the reply :)

Quote:
it is important to not use firmware for VBar otherwise telemetry will not work, please use previous one.

Yes, I have done this - it is now using the Align PL-04.0.04 firmware.

Quote:
It is also important to use correct Satellite port and to set HobbyWing Telemetry in the Spirit Settings.

I double-checked the port, and it's the primary one being used (this is a Spirit Pro unit), and tried toggling the HobbyWing telemetry settings several times. Interestingly, with it disabled, if the transmitter is on at the time, it registers some 'max' values (which look to be unrealistic), and then all dashes - just as if I unplug the telemetry lead. Re-enabling the telemetry again shows zero for most values, save FET temperature which is always 100.

As a 'back to basics' check, I unplugged the satellites and only had the SPM4649T connected along with the ESC telemetry cable - but the same happens in terms of zero values being shown.

I have another Align RCE-BL130 A ESC in another helicopter, paired with a Spirit 2; I shall try that tomorrow and see what that reports via telemetry.

PostPosted: Wed 17. Mar 2021 18:28:07 

*** EDIT ***

Quote:
I have another Align RCE-BL130 A ESC in another helicopter, paired with a Spirit 2; I shall try that tomorrow and see what that reports via telemetry.

I have checked; running the same ESC f/w (PL-04.0.04) and the latest Spirit f/w, on a Spirit 2, and the telemetry displays!

Having rebooted (again), it all worked. I shall now try using the same cables on the other ESC / Spirit Pro and see how that goes :)

PostPosted: Wed 17. Mar 2021 18:45:20 

Quote:
I shall now try using the same cables on the other ESC / Spirit Pro and see how that goes

Changing the cabling over made no difference, still no telemetry on the Spirit Pro :(

Without pulling the ESCs and swapping them, there's not much more I can do to check further, really. So, in short, it seems that:

Spirit 2 / RCE-BL130 A -- displays ESC telemetry with the appropriate cable.
    Spirit Pro / RCE-BL130 A -- does not display telemetry with the appropriate cable.

All testing with Align f/w PL-04.0.04 and Spirit f/w 3.2.2

PostPosted: Wed 17. Mar 2021 19:20:01 
Site Admin

That is nice, please make sure it is really connected at the correct port and that Telem UNI cable is OK.
I think there is nothing else that could cause such issue.

PostPosted: Wed 17. Mar 2021 20:16:40 

Hello,

ZeXx86 wrote:
please make sure it is really connected at the correct port and that Telem UNI cable is OK.

I used the same 'Telem UNI cable' that was working with the Spirit 2 on the Spirit Pro in the final testing, and despite being sure that the correct satellite port was in use (as per the documentation), I tested with the other - and the results were the same - all zero values. The plugs only go in one way round, so I don't think I have managed to get that wrong...

The 'throttle' and 'output' percentage values do register / change as you would expect - just nothing from the ESC itself.

Quote:
I think there is nothing else that could cause such issue.

Perhaps it's something with the ESC? It would be cool if there was a way to see what was on the wire via a diagnostics tool.

I have now tested using the ESC that sends telemetry via the Spirit 2, and when connected to the Spirit Pro - using the 'Telem UNI cable' as in the working scenario - I still get no telemetry data.

So, having tested, I can say that:

Spirit 2 / 'ESC-1' (RCE-BL130 A with Telem UNI cable 'A') -- displays ESC telemetry with the appropriate cable.
    Spirit Pro / 'ESC-1' (RCE-BL130 A with Telem UNI cable 'A') -- does not display telemetry with the appropriate cable.

Other than trying the SPM4649T from the 'working' (i.e. Spirit 2) setup, I don't think there is anything more to be done to suggest it's something relating to the Spirit Pro?

To be clear, I can access the integration menu and get RPM readout as described earlier with the SPM4649T on the Spirit Pro, so I think we should be fairly confident it does work as expected.

Is there anything else you might like me to try to ascertain where the difference lies?

Thanks.