It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 19:00:41

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue 08. Dec 2020 21:49:21 
Site Admin

For example there are pilots that are leaving free servo connectors that are not connected anywhere. This is causing troubles. Everything must be secured.

PostPosted: Tue 08. Dec 2020 22:00:07 

Ah ok..not the case with my heli.
Anyhow flight performance isn't affected in any way. Heli flies great (even better then before since I upgraded firmware to 3.2.1) .
It's just the rescue thats causing trouble...
Are you completely confident that bad/sticky accelerometer or something else inside Spirit2 unit couldn't have failed? I mean accelerometers are still micro mechanical devices, so they could jamm and un-jamm in different positions if they were worn out?

PostPosted: Tue 08. Dec 2020 22:05:51 
Site Admin

Hello,

this is not happening with Spirit units. But it could in some cases work unreliably when manufactured wrong. Such error could be detected only during flying.
But to make sure the error is not in additional motion sensors such as accelerometer, it is enough to turn off Stabi Correction and enable Extended signal processing.

In almost all cases flight behavior will be fine even with the worst vibration level. But for Rescue requirements are higher.

PostPosted: Tue 08. Dec 2020 22:09:17 

Ok, so what exactly "Exending signal processing" does? (So that i know what to expect during tests)?

PostPosted: Tue 08. Dec 2020 22:11:59 
Site Admin

It will behave almost similarly as Rescue with version 2.8. and older. Additional motion sensors will be not used. In that case it is the most insensitive for any kind of vibrations.

PostPosted: Tue 08. Dec 2020 22:20:31 

Ah ok, will try that too next time. Dont know when, weather is just awfull last few days.
But as mentioned in the beginning, I was using version 2.8 since I started with Spirit2 in April. And only recently, when first few dodgy rescues happened, i changed to 3.2.1 to see if it might get back to previous awesomness, but it didn't...
I really hope I can get to the bottom of this somehow, I was completely sold to Spirit exactly because its super reliable rescue, but now it wants to play games with me...

PostPosted: Thu 10. Dec 2020 13:01:06 

Another thought:
Could servo thats mounted really close to the unit cause any distraction to sensors in the unit?
That is one thing that i have actually changed recently - cyclic servos. I was using Emax ES09MD before, and switched to KST DS215 V3 like 100 flights ago...increasing magnetism? Just a thought..
As for pure flight performance - it got better, cyclic steering is noticeably smoother now with KSTs.

Attachments:
20201210_125203.jpg
20201210_125203.jpg [ 879.25 KiB | Viewed 127 times ]

PostPosted: Thu 10. Dec 2020 16:19:20 

Update:
Back to good old days! Rescue performance trouble was gone today.
Today's flight session info: 7 flights, weather: cloudy 3°C, no waiting time after initialization.
Changes made since last time flying:
- disable "Stabi correction"
- enable "Extended signal processing"
- adding some hot-glue on top of servo/ESC/RX connectors (see picture attached) - to make them even more secured, as Tomas suggested that anything insecure can cause trouble...so i thought better too much then too little.

Results:
Perfect straight up rescues either upright or inverted all session long.
Pre-flight, beginning of flight, end of the flight, post-flight - perfect all the time.
After any manouver or in middle of any manouver i am capable of doing, whether rescue was aiming for upright or inverted orientation - perfect every single time.
I've tested it about 30 times during those 7 flights.

Super happy, the Spirit's amazing rescue capability seems to be back. And i hope it stays that way. This was a bit of a wich-hunt. But I had a real blast flying again today!
So it seems temperature really isn't the deciding factor.
I might try disabling "Extended signal processing" tommorow to verify if this was my problem solver. Else it's the hot-glue :D

Attachments:
20201210_160334.jpg
20201210_160334.jpg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 122 times ]

PostPosted: Fri 11. Dec 2020 10:38:46 

Great result, thank you very much for your brief testing. Please keep us informed how it goes with disabled "extended signal processing".

Best Regards,
Eugen

PostPosted: Fri 11. Dec 2020 15:37:30 

Ok, I put in another 5 rescue-test flights today. 5°C and kind of foggy weather.

Results leave me with no solid conclusion :?:

I've tested:
-1st flight with "Extended signal processing" ON - same as yesterday, perfect rescues all the way.
-2nd and 3rd flight with "Extended signal processing" OFF - again perfect rescue all the way (entire flight, all possible stunts).
-4th flight with "Extended signal processing" OFF + I turned "Stabi correction" ON just to see what happened - results same as few days ago with enabled stabi correction, the more I pound on the heli the worse drift rescue developed, but like last time, drift was always away from me in the exact same direction, no matter what orientation heli is in when rescue is engaged.
-5th flight i just put settings back to "Extended signal processing" ON and "Stabi correction" OFF, and verified all is good again - and it was.

So I can't really draw a conclusion out of this, other then that Stabi correction makes it worse for sure.
And with Extended signal processing ON or OFF results seem the same - perfect rescues.
So it looks like the hot-glue on connectors solved the issue :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ...but I hardly believe that...kind of a witch-craft. I really hoped Extended signal processing was the cure for a problem, but now it doesn't look like it..

Meh...anyways, it seems to work great again, and i'm tired of testing it so I'll leave as it is and be done with it for now, and hopefully for good.
If Tomas has some more usefull suggestions, given all aditional info from tests that I provided, would be nice to let us know.

Best regards

Last edited by TomazBernik on Fri 11. Dec 2020 16:10:29, edited 2 times in total.