It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024 7:38:04

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: setup problem
PostPosted: Fri 14. Nov 2014 16:45:25 

Thanks for fast shipping. I'm setting up the Spirit FBL unit. I'm using Spektrum DSMX satellites (2) and five servos (it's a gas helicopter with a throttle servo). Voltage to Spirit unit is 5V.

I successfully bound to both satellites by switching cables (bind one then the other). My problem is only the throttle channel seems to work correctly. The rudder (ch4) and pitch (ch6) output from my transmitter is ignored. When I move the cyclic (right) stick on the transmitter I get responses in the Spirit software diagnostic bar graphs that don't make sense. The gyro channel (ch5) the rudder channel (ch4) move in addition to ail and elevator but not symmetrically. For example a positive right stick elevator input might result in rudder change in the software but a negative stick movement might result in a gyro (ch5) change.

And none of the channels (except for the throttle) in the software are anywhere near center; they are all at channel limits like 118 or -118. The gyro channel in the software is at + or - 118 and makes the tail servo chatter (just sitting there with no control horn on it) I suppose because of excess gain (temp for now I unassigned ch5 to stop that).

I've tried reassigning channels (in the software) but I can't get anything to approach normal predictable behavior. I bound to my Spektrum DX6i transmitter (my backup) but got the same result. Obviously I've checked wire connections and channel assignments. They are all correct.

The only thing I'm doing that might be abnormal is I have connected the black and red wires of my high voltage servos to the battery voltage output (2s LiPo) of my dual voltage regulator and the signal wires to the Spirit. The Spirit is powered by the 5V output of the voltage regulator and the tail servo (the only 5V servo in the system) is plugged directly into the Spirit (ch4).

Post subject: Re: setup problem
PostPosted: Fri 14. Nov 2014 16:52:56 
Site Admin

Hello,

no problem.
It seems that your transmitter use some internal cyclic mixing (probably CCPM 120).
Please try to switch to H1 (no mixing).

PostPosted: Fri 14. Nov 2014 17:08:17 

I already set up a new fresh profile in my Spektrum DX6i with 1 servo 90 degrees. No change in behavior. No response from Spirit from transmitter channels 4 or 6. Eratic behavior as described in diagnostic tab bar graphs. Nothing centered and at channel limits 118 and -118

PostPosted: Fri 14. Nov 2014 17:19:22 
Site Admin

Did you tried to disconnect servos and secondary regulation?
There must be something very wrong if it helps.

You should see smooth movement in all channels in the diagnostics tab.

PostPosted: Fri 14. Nov 2014 20:57:31 

Hi,

I disconnected everything except 5V into AUX port (just black and red pins, no signal to servo), 1 DSMX sat into sat port, and computer adapter into SYS port. Behavior is unchanged. With all channels centered to zero in transmitter except ch5 at 55, I get this in the diagnostic bar graphs in the software:

throttle=-1
aileron=118
elevator=118
pitch=-118
rudder=-118
gyro=115

Movement of the transmitter sticks produces results with positive stick movements producing results in different channels than negative stick movements. It's totally wrong and unusable. The rudder stick movements of the transmitter have never produced a response in the software. The Spirit must be defective because I tried both satellites one at a time and I've tried 2 transmitters. I also rebound with both sats one at a time plugged into the sat port. There's nothing else to conclude. I was hoping it was a servo as that would be easier to exchange but sadly that's not the case.

PostPosted: Fri 14. Nov 2014 21:15:31 
Site Admin

We are testing each unit individually for all possible defects, so it should be OK (if not damaged by improper usage).
It is possible that there is just wrong speed/protocol used.
What exactly is your radio and what speed (ms) did you selected in your transmitter?
Can you try different speeds? You can test it with only one satellite to minimize possile problems.

From your first description it looked like two channels are working correctly, but it seems whole communication is broken.
That mean there could be just wrong speed selected for your transmitter.
For example DX6i is not capable of 11ms.
You can e.g. bind DX6i as DSM2.

PostPosted: Fri 14. Nov 2014 22:02:28 

The 2 transmitters I have are set to default "speed" as they have communicated successfully with at least 8 different aircraft using Spektrum satellites and receivers. As I stated in my last post I used each of 2 sats one at a time. I only use DSMX and bound with DSMX. Bind plug in ELE/PIT/AIL port.

It's not a communication problem it is an interpretation problem I believe. It is the rudder and gyro gain channels that the Spirit ignores. The other channels don't do what they're supposed too.

I want an exchange unit please. Once you get my unit on the bench you can see what the problem is. Please instruct how to exchange.

PostPosted: Fri 14. Nov 2014 22:09:16 
Site Admin

Please try to bind your DSMX satellite as DSM2, especially if you are using DX6 transmitter. Is DX6i DSMX transmitter you are using?

No problem with exchange, but there could be very same problem.
It is better to check all possibilities first.

PostPosted: Fri 14. Nov 2014 22:58:45 

The DX6i is my backup transmitter. My main transmitter is a Walkera DEVO 12s running the latest version of deviation firmware which is 100% compatible with Spektrum DSMX. As I said I have never had a problem with Align 3gx, Robird G31, Spektrum full RX or satellites or Spektrum helicopters with integrated DSMX receivers.

I don't use DSM2 as it is inferior and obsolete. The fact is I have completed all troubleshooting and to my satisfaction the problem is with the Spirit. If the exchange unit I receive has the same problem then I will simply replace it with a Bavarian Demon 3sx which I really really hope I don't have to do.

I appreciate the troubleshooting help you have given me; you have good ideas; but I think we have the answer and I need an exchange please.

PostPosted: Fri 14. Nov 2014 23:03:40 
Site Admin

Hmm, thats very sad you do not trust me and even did not try my suggestions.

But it is on you, please send me your unit back. In case it will be without marks of usage I can refund you the unit.