PostPosted: Wed 07. Dec 2016 22:41:43 

I just got done fitting a Spirit on a Logo 600. My setup is as follows:

Spirit grey with v2.2
YGE 120HV Opto
RJX 0521HV cyclic servos
BK DS-7005HV tail servo
WR Hercules BEC
DX7 Gen2 with 2 satellites

On the bench, my servos have a weird behavior where they will freeze for a moment and then continue their movement like normal. This happens when I move the collective up and down and also happens with playing with the cyclic, both when moving the sticks fast or slow. The issue seems to be very dependent on my BEC's output voltage, meaning that at 8.4V, the freezing occurs at a lot higher frequency than at 5V, but even at the lower voltage the issue persists. During the BEC tester I can still see the issue somewhat. My log is clean of any errors as well, even after the BEC Tester has run. On the Diagnostic screen, everything is moving at a smooth pace so I can eliminate a problem with my transmitter or satellites. Also tried removing and testing with one servo connected at a time and the freezing keeps happening with every single one of them. Running the same exact setup on a VX1e as well as a Fullsize Vbar, I don't experience any issues (even after stressing my BEC with repetitive extreme movement for 2 minutes with Pitch Pump at 100). Only thing that seems to cure the freezing is connecting a 2S LiPo and disconnecting my BEC.

The unit is wired like this: All servos are connected to their respective positions. On the AUX port I have connected a Y Lead which is connected with my throttle cable as well as one output of my WR BEC. On the Rudder port I have another Y Lead which is connected with my second BEC output as well as a second satellite through the special adapter. Nothing is connected on the ELE/PIT/AIL port. I have double and triple checked that my wiring is as it is supposed to be and there are no cut or frayed wires anywhere.

I have also uploaded a video of my issue cause it is very difficult to describe it properly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxT-wk5ERUI

I have literally tried everything that came to mind and I can't seem to figure out this issue. Any help is appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu 08. Dec 2016 9:01:57 

Hello Maniac!
I would not use Y cable !!!
Connect the WR - Bec (slave) to AUX 1 or receiver!
Then it will work! (No Y-cable)
Greetings, Gernot

PostPosted: Thu 08. Dec 2016 9:06:39 

Correction!!!
Connect the WR - Bec (slave) to AUX 2 or receiver!
Greetings, Gernot

PostPosted: Thu 08. Dec 2016 9:13:38 
Site Admin

Hello,

I am not sure what is causing the problem yet, but I suspect that the BEC might create excess EMI (WR products are doing this unfortunately). Maybe it will be enough to move the BEC further from rest of the electronics.
Do you use a ferrite rings on the BEC output?

I highly recommend it, since it can filter a noise that is carried on the cable.
Very likely the issue is not in the input from satellites, since it is visible also with the BEC tester.

So I recommend to focus just on the BEC.

PostPosted: Thu 08. Dec 2016 11:09:01 

Thanks for your replies!

Unfortunately I don't see any easy way to run my BEC without any Y Leads on the small Spirit. No external receiver is used so I am very limited with amount of ports on the unit.

The BEC is positioned quite far from anything else on the Logo except my tail servo (behind the battery tray if you are familiar with the heli). Currently I don't use any ferrite rings on the BEC's cables. The output cables on my BEC are very short as they are so I opted to remove the ring when I built the heli almost a year ago and didn't experience any issues until fitting the Spirit. I am pretty sure this is a "problem" related closely to my BEC but what is interesting to me is that I don't have any clues of issues with 2 other units. Is the small Spirit more prone to "noisy" power supply?

Using a ferrite ring is the next thing I will try. I will give you an update once I have tried that.

PostPosted: Thu 08. Dec 2016 12:06:15 
Site Admin

To verify if the Y-cables are not a problem you can simply disconnect some servo and put the BEC directly instead of the cable.
Unfortunately the problem never happened before as far as we know. So it is something we have to investigate.
Usually there are no issues with noise.

If it is not very old unit, then the noise rejection capability is same as for the Spirit Pro.

When you are moving with the sticks, are satellites flashing?

For a bench testing you can try to:
1. disconnect second satellite
2. disconnect second lead of the BEC
3. disconnect throttle
4. add a ferrite ring if possible (can be found anywhere in electronics - e.g. in a power supplies from computers)

PostPosted: Thu 08. Dec 2016 15:04:37 

gerry wrote:
Correction!!!
Connect the WR - Bec (slave) to AUX 2 or receiver!
Greetings, Gernot

Very interesting post, Gerry... the OP is using an adapter for the second satellite, so he does not have a Pro, so he does not have AUX2... and he does not have a receiver since he is using satellites... so, what are you suggesting him exactly? :roll:

ZeXx86 wrote:
Usually there are no issues with noise.
If it is not very old unit, then the noise rejection capability is same as for the Spirit Pro.

Well, the OP says "Spirit grey", BUT since he is using an adapter for the second satellite, it is not a Pro, so I assume he DOES have a very old unit, no?

PostPosted: Mon 19. Dec 2016 17:31:08 

Apologies for digging up this old thread. For discussion sake none Spirit
related. I was used ng the same servos as well as Align BLS 700 servos
When I was setting up my Goblin 770 using Skookum gyro with Jeti radio.
had the same issues. At first I thought it was the servos but no cause when
I change the Jeti to a Multiplex radio it too had the same problem.
Strangely after changing servos to Futaba Bls 272 Hv no more issues.
Question is this a gyro firmware issue or is it TX compatibily issue

Thks Guys