It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024 23:29:02

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed 12. Oct 2016 5:41:31 

As you had stated in a prior post, you indicated a suggested 10% trim setting? for idle(engine idling position)?

So are you stating that you set the governor low position to 0% in the spirit or engine not running, and then adjust trim to idle position in the radio?

Wont this allow the governor to possibly kill the motor if you experience a fast rotor head unloading. Since the controller knows that 0% is below trim setting?

PostPosted: Wed 12. Oct 2016 7:26:28 
Site Admin

Hello,

for idling I recommend to change Throttle Curve in the same way as for other flight modes. Thus you will not need any trim and everything should work fine.

PostPosted: Wed 12. Oct 2016 15:53:57 

Unfortunately you are not clarifying the answer enough for me to understand you.

What I am looking to do!!
To facilitate an ability to kill the engine with trim, but not allow governor to shut off engine during its normal operation?

1) Do you set low throttle position in governor setup screen to 0 or low position on carburetor(engine off pos)?

2) I use three governed head speeds, so all positions are taken up on the flight mode switch. I do not have a flight mode that typically brings throttle curve to zero.

3) In order to facilitate governed head speeds, the throttle curve percentage is way above 10% for all flight modes in order to achieve target head speed.

4) You are suggesting to change flight modes in the same way, "what way are you referring too"?

PostPosted: Wed 12. Oct 2016 20:03:19 

Can't answer your setup question, but comment on gov killing engine.
I'm sure with gov engaged on fast decent, like overspeed, head speed is overtaking motor speed, but as motorspeed is kept by Gov, Gov won't go down to 0 and kill. In electric setup, this would cause ESC to performe a slow spoolup, which I never discovered.

Remember, for Spirit only % is counting:
0..50% is pass trough. Once above 50% Gov gets engaged.
If engaged and you stay above 12% your next spoolup is bailout, get below 12% it's a slow spoolup
Now its up to you to set your idle at desired level to keep motor running and end up in Bailout or slow spoolup.
Min max ranges are hard limits representing 0% and 100% you can't go beyond this limits.

Oxy4max SpiritPro + HW // SOXOS 550, SpiritPro, HW120A V4, 920KV // SOXOS 600, SpiritPro, HW160A, Pyro650 // SOXOS Strike7, SpiritPro, HW160A, Pyro750 // Skywing Spirit Aero // FrSky Horus X10S + Taranis X7 /

PostPosted: Thu 13. Oct 2016 7:35:46 
Site Admin

Hello,

the problem with killing engine should not occur, since our governor has dynamic learning of what is the minimum position.
So throttle "position" can't drop under this limit in any case.
This mean that you do not have to set anything regarding this issue.

2) You should have at least some switch (Hold) that will send zero % TC or even negative value.
3) Is this from your testing or you are doing so generally? With Spirit governor you shouldn't need it. At least if there are blades on.
4) If you have no free flight mode, then you can use trim for idling, but this one shouldn't be active for your flight modes that are used for normal flying - since this will change your head speed too.

PostPosted: Thu 13. Oct 2016 13:18:22 

Other governors instruct you to set the low position to idle position not cut position.

So as I understand your reply, you can set the low position to engine cut position, and the governor will never go to engine cut position during an active flight when the governor is engaged. Obviously assuming you don't use throttle hold.

I have been running the low position as idle position(engine idling) currently, since It was unclear to me weather the governor would cut engine during an active flight.

As I had posted before, I have 3 flight modes set to 3 different head speeds. You are stating that I have to have one flight mode that does not engage the governor. I was hoping to avoid this. But it appears there is going to be no way around it.

PostPosted: Thu 13. Oct 2016 18:51:17 
Site Admin

You can configure it in any way - also with no other flight mode.
It just depends on your transmitter settings. I have just proposed what is usual settings among other pilots.

Normally pilots are using Throttle Hold, flight mode for idling or manual spoolup and then 1-3 flight modes for flying.
But you do not have to use anything else than 1-3 flight modes for flying if you can set your transmitter to make the motor idle after ignition.

You do not have to set any other position for throttle cut or hold.
I am little bit confused with your question. Maybe you can explain it in more details what do you want to achieve.

PostPosted: Fri 14. Oct 2016 13:31:33 

This is what works well for me:

Throttle end points 0 to 100%

All flat throttle curves:

Engine idle - hold (5%)

3 flight modes - normal (take off and landing, 78% governed); flight mode 1 (FC3 flying, 85% governed); flight mode 2 (3D flying, 88% governed). Flight banks tied to flight modes

Slow spool-up, engine stop on separate spring switch (0%)

PostPosted: Sun 16. Oct 2016 5:57:18 

Horneteer, do you have telemetry on your nitro?

PostPosted: Mon 17. Oct 2016 7:43:57 

No, why's that?