It is currently Mon 13. May 2024 8:12:56

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed 03. Feb 2016 23:02:26 

I have been flying electric helis and only recently built a gas heli. After powering up the heli and after Spirit FBL initialization I am use to the swashplate returning to level after moving and releasing the cyclic stick. I noticed that when the gas heli was idling, after moving and releasing the cyclic stick, the swashplate would stay at the non-level position. I also tried spooling up the electric helis on the bench without blades and noticed that the swashplate would also stay at the non-level position while the motor was running. After turning off the motor and with the absence of vibration the swashplate would then return to level.

I have not flown the gas heli yet, but this brings to mind that there would be a danger of carrying the heli to the flight line while idling, and if the cyclic stick was moved, then the swashplate would not be level when the heli was spooled up causing it to tip over. Is this something I need to watch out for?

PostPosted: Wed 03. Feb 2016 23:06:06 

I think it is correct, because spirit knows when the heli is running from the vibration.

PostPosted: Thu 04. Feb 2016 8:41:09 
Site Admin

You are right. It is very correct behavior. The best is to start the helicopter without carrying it or to not move with the sticks before spoolup.
If the motor has high frequency/vibrations during idling, then it is behaving as in the flight and it is reason why you are seeing the behavior.
If the swashplate is in the horizontal position during spoolup, it will be always good.