It is currently Thu 02. May 2024 15:10:25

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri 19. Apr 2024 16:26:44 

I lost my Goblin 570 with Spirit GTR and GeoLink because the GeoLink failed in flight. The helicopter flew away during an RTH operation and was never found again. The log file in the Jeti DC24 transmitter shows that all GPS parameters were "frozen" shortly after take-off. I have programmed a warning message if the number of satellites is less than 10. However, this warning did not appear, as "Sattelites" remained at 16 even after the GeoLink failed. If I had known that RTH was not working, I could have saved the helicopter.
This is a serious problem, that the GeoLink can fail without warning. Is there a solution for this? I don't want to buy another GeoLink until this issue is resolved.
The log file is attached.
Konrad

Attachments:
13-57-29.log [2.34 MiB]
Downloaded 13 times

PostPosted: Sat 20. Apr 2024 9:38:29 

Do you also have a log from the GTR unit available?

PostPosted: Sat 20. Apr 2024 10:07:31 
Site Admin

Hello,

I am very sorry for the troubles. I checked your log and it really look like GeoLink had no connection from the beginning or lost it few seconds after.

First from all I want to ask, if there was no possibility to turn off RTH? This should be possible to turn it off at any moment and gain full control.
Secondly, was both Spirit and GeoLink unit at the latest firmware?
More recent version will actually set satellites to 0 whenever you will loose connection.

You can try it by disconnecting the cable. Satellites should be 0 within following seconds.

PostPosted: Sat 20. Apr 2024 14:24:08 

Since the model is gone, I have no log files from the GTR.
All components had the very latest firmware version. I have 5 Helis (now only 4) with GTR/GeoLink and I use always the latest version.
Of course I switched off RTH when I saw that the helicopter was flying in the wrong direction, but by then it was already too late.
When the helicopter is far away, it is difficult to tell whether it is flying back to me or away from me. I tried every trick in the book, such as flying a turn to find the heli's orientation, but it was no use.

I need a way to monitor in flight whether GeoLink is working or not. I thought that checking the number of satellites would work, but it does not.
I normally always test whether RTH is working by doing a short test flight. Unfortunately not on this last flight.

PostPosted: Sat 20. Apr 2024 14:29:35 

I suggest that the GT/GTR firmware performs plausibility checks to check whether GeoLink is active and working or not.

PostPosted: Mon 22. Apr 2024 8:50:09 

Hello Konrad
Which R2H mode did you use?

PostPosted: Mon 22. Apr 2024 9:04:54 
Site Admin

Hello,

all Spirit units are doing checks if GeoLink is communicating or not.

If there is no response from GeoLink for 2 seconds then Sats are set to 0 immediately.
You can verify it with any of other helicopter. Also Event log will inform you about lost GeoLink connection.

It seems that in your case GeoLink was still active and sending data. But these data were not updated for some strange reason. For example if GPS chip itself stopped to send data. With GeoLink 2 this would be very unusual, but we will check what else could happen, since your GeoLink was seemingly still sending data (but not updated).

PostPosted: Tue 23. Apr 2024 13:03:18 

Here are the 4ds files from the lost helicopter. I hope that these can help you with the analysis. I did the last update on 2024-03-22. Are the firmware version numbers stored in the 4ds files?
RTH is always triggered by a separate channel from the transmitter. The accident flight was the fourth flight that day. Everything worked on the previous flights, including RTH.

Attachments:
2024-03-22 Nora1.4ds [255 Bytes]
Downloaded 4 times
2024-03-22 Nora0.4ds [255 Bytes]
Downloaded 3 times
File comment: Backup of bank 0,1,2
2024-03-22 Nora2.4ds [255 Bytes]
Downloaded 5 times

PostPosted: Wed 24. Apr 2024 15:55:57 

I have a suggestion for a plausibility check: Both the GeoLink and GT/GTR have an altitude sensor. If the GT/GTR checks whether the altitude values are approximately the same, you can assume that the GeoLink is OK. Another plausibility check would be to check whether the altitude remains constant over several seconds even though the pitch has changed. Perhaps there are even better ideas.

PostPosted: Thu 25. Apr 2024 20:25:53 

but you in diagnostic log viewer open log you opened the file pdf to see if you had any messages of error?
until now I had geolink deactivated but it was connected with the cable.
and I had no errors
I activated geolink yesterday and I received communication errors with geolink.
They are not real errors they are errors that occur when you turn it on or off
when it's about to turn on or when it's about to turn off
but these errors every now and then they turn me off geolink functions.
Connect the helicopter activate the geolink ((do compass calibration etc) and after flies normally.
Then turn off helicopter and go in the pc software spirit and see if you have connection errors with the geolink.
Another thing go in geolink-info and check it out if lifting the helicopter with your hands Barometer height is accurate (for this test use a usb extension) It's super accurate to me.
If you have an unstable geolink connection error all geolink functions will be deactivated.
If you have opened pdf files in the past all pdf files are saved and you can put them here in the topic