It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 15:33:53

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed 05. Oct 2022 10:40:25 

Hello together,
yesterday i tested my WiFi Link Module in combination with my Spirit GT System.

There are some problems, which are interesting:

First: If i power the WiFi Link Module power cable from another power source (7,4V Lipo) it is not possible to connect. Not with the website 192.168.4.1 or with the android app.
If i connect the WiFi Link power cable to AUX1 or AUX2 everything worked.
Thats not good, because i have to use both aux ports and if im on the field, its really nervy to remove a plug from the spirit gt.
Looks that ist a ground problem....
And i have to remove the FrSky S-Port plug from the sys port for connecting WiFi Link.
Is there a workaround to connect S-Port and WiFi Module together?
Normally i have not to use the WiFi link module, because i could use the lua sript on my taranis, but in all the script its not possible to set up the geo link module, especially the calibration function which is needed, if flying in different locations. Or did i not found the menu?

Second:
If i power the WiFi Link Module frome the spirit gt in mostly cases the blue led is solid and very dark, although the gt is powered. If i remove the power plug from the WiFi Link and wait a few seconds, plug it in again the led is bright blue blinking and connection is possible. See attached photos.

The GeoLink V2 Calibration Questions:
I viewed a few videos on this function on youtube. This may work, but is not comfortable to do with a heli bigger than 500....and it takes way too long.
I tested it in another way: First activated the calibration and disconnected the GeoLink. Then remove the GeoLink from the machine from a self built mounting and powered it with 2S Lipo. Moving around for lets say maximum 15 seconds and the blue led is blinking....Calibration done.

But... The micro connector is not built to unplug and plug very often. These connectors are not very solid and also not very easy to handle, especially on the field.
I will solder a jr cable, which is a little bit better to handle.
Or, does someone have a better idea, to calibrate extern?? Youre welcome !!

Thanks for reply!

Greetings from germany, Mario

Forgot: Alle components flashed with latest firmware

Attachments:
20221004_184137.jpg
20221004_184137.jpg [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 175 times ]
20221004_184110.jpg
20221004_184110.jpg [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 175 times ]

Last edited by malelo1960 on Wed 05. Oct 2022 10:50:32, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed 05. Oct 2022 10:50:21 
Site Admin

Hello,

1. This is correct. There is no electrical flow if using a different power supply between Wifi-Link and Spirit unit. You have to connect GND between battery and Wifi-Link to make it work.
Yes, when powering up Wifi-Link together with Spirit unit it could end up in a special mode for flashing the Wifi-Link. We will try to address the issue with upcoming Spirit firmware. I believe it can be resolved.

2. Yes, this is possibility. But there is no need to disconnect GeoLink at all - it is enough to disconnect whole battery of the model. And also Calibration process is needed to do just once if you are not traveling a big distances.

You can calibrate GeoLink before mounting it to the model.

PostPosted: Wed 05. Oct 2022 10:59:00 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hello,

1. This is correct. There is no electrical flow if using a different power supply between Wifi-Link and Spirit unit. You have to connect GND between battery and Wifi-Link to make it work. You mean GND from the Sprit GT i think
Yes, when powering up Wifi-Link together with Spirit unit it could end up in a special mode for flashing the Wifi-Link. We will try to address the issue with upcoming Spirit firmware. I believe it can be resolved.

2. Yes, this is possibility. But there is no need to disconnect GeoLink at all - it is enough to disconnect whole battery of the model.
And how should the GeoLink get its power while calibrating? I dont understand. And also Calibration process is needed to do just once if you are not traveling a big distances.
A few hundred kilometers is normal for me.

You can calibrate GeoLink before mounting it to the model.

PostPosted: Wed 05. Oct 2022 11:07:29 
Site Admin

You can power it still from the Spirit unit. But GeoLink will be in your hands. If you have a longer JST-JST cable then it will be much easer. For example 50cm long.

You can remove JST cable many times, but never pull off by the wires, only by the plastic header.

PostPosted: Wed 05. Oct 2022 11:17:44 

ZeXx86 wrote:
You can power it still from the Spirit unit. But GeoLink will be in your hands. If you have a longer JST-JST cable then it will be much easer. For example 50cm long.
Yes, thats logical clear, but that doesnt solve the question about how to start the calibration process without connecting the WiFi link or a pc to initialise it.
Is it possible to connect the Wifi link and S-Port together permanently to the gt without fumbling with plugs?

You can remove JST cable many times, but never pull off by the wires, only by the plastic header.

;) I am an 8 hours a day model builder....

PostPosted: Sun 09. Oct 2022 23:38:03 

malelo1960 wrote:
Hello together,
yesterday i tested my WiFi Link Module in combination with my Spirit GT System.

There are some problems, which are interesting:

First: If i power the WiFi Link Module power cable from another power source (7,4V Lipo) it is not possible to connect. Not with the website 192.168.4.1 or with the android app.
If i connect the WiFi Link power cable to AUX1 or AUX2 everything worked.
Thats not good, because i have to use both aux ports and if im on the field, its really nervy to remove a plug from the spirit gt.

Forgot: Alle components flashed with latest firmware

If you don't use the CH0 port, then you can power up the wifi module with that... Or if you use all of the ports, you can add an "Y" cable, so you can add one more port, for powering the module. :)