It is currently Tue 19. Mar 2024 8:36:01

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon 08. Aug 2022 16:56:38 

here with the trottle set to requested headspeed

Attachments:
20220808_173908.jpg
20220808_173908.jpg [ 310.71 KiB | Viewed 330 times ]

PostPosted: Mon 08. Aug 2022 17:14:18 

As expected, nothing is out of order.

For me, this is all about getting the governor to engage. You seem to have everything right. I've heard of others who don't get the governor engaged in the log, but this has never been an issue for me.

You could (back up first), reset the unit to factory defaults, and then load your saved file.

also, I have both a ds14 and a ds12, you could upload the model file, I'll load that onto my jeti and see if i get the same results. I don't know if I can emulate the heli running, but I can see if there are any oddities in the model file.

This issue is really a Thomas thing, assuming everything is plugged into the correct slots.

Sorry to not be more helpful.

PostPosted: Mon 08. Aug 2022 18:08:43 

And, what rpm sensor are you using?

PostPosted: Mon 08. Aug 2022 20:43:59 

Hi Scott, thank you for having a look at the file. Yes it is realy unsatifying. I hope Thomas have a good idea how to solve this.
I will try setting to factory defaults and loading the setting from the file, but hope dies last.
Due to this issue I changed from the former Aling sensor to the Spirit sensor. I also changed from one to two active magnets. Servos are GDW BLS995 at the tail rotor and BLS992 for swash plate and trottle.

attached the model file from my DS12

Thank you very much again.

best regards, Kay

Attachments:
0001Trex.jsn.txt [27.58 KiB]
Downloaded 11 times

PostPosted: Mon 08. Aug 2022 21:55:58 

Kay,
You said you have the Spirit sensor, can you describe again how you have it connected?

Also, when you test the rpm sensor in Spirit software what exactly do you see. I know you said the magnets are sensed, but could you describe that again. What color is the light when the sensor doesn't see the magnet and what happens when it sees the magnet.

PostPosted: Tue 09. Aug 2022 20:54:37 

Hi Scott,
well the sensor ist conected with red and brown cable to the E1 port and the orange cable is connected to the middle pin of "EXT/RPM/E2".
Wenn the Sensor do not see the magnet it is red colored and shows "active" and when it sees the magnet it's grey and shows "inactive". It is the same for both magnets.
Please see also the pics.

best regards, Kay

Attachments:
20220809_213632.jpg
20220809_213632.jpg [ 45.37 KiB | Viewed 313 times ]
20220809_213619.jpg
20220809_213619.jpg [ 31.58 KiB | Viewed 313 times ]
20220809_213356.jpg
20220809_213356.jpg [ 60.3 KiB | Viewed 313 times ]

PostPosted: Tue 09. Aug 2022 21:33:44 

So, I checked the model file; don't see anything off,
I checked the Spirit file, also don't see anything off.

I checked my two helicopters one has the sensor on, and the magnet breaks the signal momentarily to off,
and my other helicopter has the sensor off, and the magnet causes it to go on.

Given none of that is the issue and it all seems to be working for you as it is for me. The reasons for the governor not engaging is getting narrow. I never had this problem of the governor not engaging. But one reason the gov might not engage is too much noise interfering with the sensor signal. (I think this is listed in the WIKI.

So, 1)is the sensor rpm signal wire running along another power wire? is it running near the spark plug wire?

What I did to practically eliminate the 'noisy data message' (which you don't have) is to shield the rpm sensor wire. I repurposed a USB cable that was shielded ( and soldered to the rpm sensor and the other end is also grounded to the ground pin of the Spirit) and I added a ferrite band (near to where it plugged into Spirit).

Hard to know if this is your issue and it's really just a guess.

If resetting to default didn't correct the issue, I'd try to shield the rpm sensor wire - or a step before that is to add a few ferrite bands and see if they have any impact.

Interesting problem from my perspective, annoying from yours. Hope it gets resolved soon.
Scott

PostPosted: Wed 10. Aug 2022 6:29:27 

Hi Scott,

well, thank you for your ckecks, it's somehow good to hear that there seem to be no obvious mistake, but on the other hand it 's rather sad that it's not working. I will have a look for a ferrit ring at first before changing the cable to a shielded one. I guess I will find one in my backyard.
I hope Tomas will have additional hints for getting it solved soon.

best regards, Kay

PostPosted: Thu 18. Aug 2022 7:51:14 

Hi,

yesterday I was on the airfield again but without any success.
I hoped/assumed that any issue on the power supply side, may some EMK from the servos cause some ripples that somehow prevent the gov to be engaged... So I added a ferrit into the sensor wires. The servo power wires are not conected to the spirit anymore, I put them togehter at one single point including a low esr capacitor. From that point also the spirit unit is supplied by a separate line where I added a LC filter from the FPV world. So the spirit unit only supply the internal receiver, the RPM sensor and the servo impuls lines.
Long story short: no improvement, but again some questions came up:
I tried different values for holding limit, governor response and holding performance. I am not clear what is happening, the gov response and the holding performance don't seem to have any influence on the behavior, but the holding limit does.
I started with a value of 80%, programmed rpm 1630, display on the transmitter around 1650 rpm while hovering, drop in rpm as soon as raising pitch, no entry at the log about gov engaged
Then setting holding limit to 50%, saving, restart the unit, 1630 rpm requested, display on the transmitter around 1630rpm , but very strom drop in rpm when raising pitch from hovering. Again no entry at the log about the gov.
then setting holding limit to 85%, saving, restart the unit, 1630 rpm requesed, display on the transmitter arount 1700 rpm, no hearable drop in rpm at raising pitch but no entry regarding gov at the log.
Does this mean the gov is working and the event within the log is missing, or is the gov only starting and after bringing the rpm from idle to "requested range" it stops moving the trottle?

I use a DS12, what do I see at the log in the spirit after a flight without powering off the spirit unit. One can change between the last entry and selectable time. The last entry is every time "Zustand in Ordnung", which means every thing would be fine.
So I changed to "selectable" Then I can select a time with a possible intervall of 10s. With that I can scroll through the log and see "calibration finished" as the first entry, at the next 10s "status OK" and so on. Sometimes there is a "high vibration" entry but no entry regarding the gov until the end of the log.
What exactly do I see in the spirit log via the transmitter?
Is it all every event or is it the current state at every 10s? I am not sure if the gov is really not engaged (no visible entry at the log), or could it be possible that the "gov engaged" event is not logged because it's happening somewhen in between this 10s intervall. What would I see in the log via the DS12 if 1s after a "status ok" entry a gov event occur and let's say 100ms later a "high vibration" event?
What do you think, how to proceed to get the gov working finally?

best regards, Kay

PostPosted: Thu 18. Aug 2022 13:53:52 

Kay,
Unless the log shows governor engaged, changing the governor settings won't have any impact.

To clarify you added a ferrite ring/band to the RPM sensor (this would include power/ground/signal wire). You mentioned adding it but wasn't clear that is was on the RPM sensor.

I've had, in the past a power and ground bus for my Goblin gasser, but I no longer do, it hasn't and doesn't make any difference to the gov or rpm issue from my perspective.

The log shows events and they don't have to fall on 10 sec intervals. If something happens, it shows.

When you connect to the Spirit software and are in the gov tab, where it shows the requested and current rpm. Have you checked to see if it shows reasonable numbers when you spin the motor? For example; if you remove the plug, and spin the motor over with a starter, do you see rpm numbers that make sense, or does that current rpm number go to some weird number?

I'm uploading one of my logs so you can see what it should say.

Take a look at that requested rpm and see what it does. Good luck, Scott

Attachments:
spirit-log-2022-05-25-184101-4.pdf [66.81 KiB]
Downloaded 16 times

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next