It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 18:23:29

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu 02. Jan 2020 17:12:18 

I am pretty new to the hobby - and crashed a Goblin 700 Havok last week when changing flight modes :( :( :(
To cut a long story short- I have different Stabi options sets on different flight modes (Banks) (Rescue available on ALL Banks)
I use FULL stabilization on Bank 0 - which I only use for take-off and landing
Bank 1 and 2 have other options sets with bank 2 having no stabilization at all set (This is how I fly 99% of the flight time other than the take off and landing in Bank 0) (Bank 1 pretty much no longer used)
I have flown the heli between 30-40 flights now and then things went very wrong on my last flight :cry: :cry: :cry:

Normal flight - Took off in bank 0 (full stabilization) - switched to bank 2 (no stabilization) - all was normal - upon time to land - I brought the heli back in fairly close (as I always do) and switched to bank 0 in preparation for landing - At this point - the heli lost the plot altogether with pretty much a tail down attitude and dropped quick - I tried to rescue, and believe the heli did react, but pretty much straight into the ground blades first (not the normal level and climb from any orientation)

It would appear to me that somehow the Spirit had lost its known orientations ??? and therefore could not rescue correctly after the heli had already reacted incorrectly upon bank switching...
When I collected the parts - And got back to the house in the hope of finding what went wrong in the logs - I only got a message to say that the logs were not saved properly for the previous flight :roll: :roll: :roll:

I had seen some very small movements in the past when switching between no stabi to full stabi but nothing more than a couple of degrees that was easily rectified with normal stick controls...

Any suggestions other than not using my usually trusted landing mode ??? as to what could have happened / avoid in the future ?
I have been looking through the forums, but not finding anything jumping out other than some posts about fan interference causing strange behaviour ! (It's a HW130V4 with Fan installed)
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sun 05. Jan 2020 13:03:36 

I wish they'd put stabi mode on a 3 position switch. Messing with banks is a pita.

Sorry for your loss.

PostPosted: Sun 05. Jan 2020 13:07:54 

I've reread your post. When you hit rescue, did the heli stabilise to skids up then power into the ground?

PostPosted: Mon 06. Jan 2020 10:21:32 

Hi JJUK

Thank you for reply - It all happened pretty quickly to be honest.

Heli was only approx 15-20 ft up when I switched from BANK 2 (No Stabilization) to Bank 0 (Full Stabilization) - at which point the heli took a VERY aggressive backwards roll motion, but then appeared to stop at approx 90 degrees (So heli was pointing at the sky - but at this point now only approx 10-15ft off the ground) - At this point I pressed "RESCUE"
If I was a betting man (As the heli was dropping through approx 10ft) I'd say the rescue pushed it more through a backwards motion and heli pretty much hit blades first...

I am also 100% sure this was not a case of just being too low for rescue to effectively work - I have tested rescue in just about every orientation in the past and (UNTIL now) has worked 100% as intended... (e.g. There was still enough height for Rescue to operate normally - But it did not :(

Hopefully Tomas can shed some light on what might have happened at the time of bank switching / stabi mode switching ?!?!?!

PostPosted: Mon 06. Jan 2020 14:30:09 
Site Admin

Hi,

it is sad to hear about your problems.
if you installed Fan recently then this could cause really a troubles.
HW fan has really influence on both stabilisation and rescue. For this reason we recommend to disconnect it or replace with other brand.

You can make safe testing of the rescue in the way described here (with and without fan):
http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... ise_Rescue

I believe you will see a difference and will resolve your problem.

PostPosted: Mon 06. Jan 2020 14:44:06 

ZeXx86 wrote:
For this reason we recommend to disconnect it or replace with other brand.

Replace just the fan or the whole ESC?

PostPosted: Mon 06. Jan 2020 14:49:46 
Site Admin

Only fan, but even better to disconnect it if possible. Because it is hard to tell if the fan will have not the same effect.

PostPosted: Mon 06. Jan 2020 16:59:45 

Tomas - Thank you for responding to my Question and confirming that the Fan could possibly create this issue :( :( :(

The fan has been installed since new (Approx 30 flights) and no setup changes made...
As mentioned - I had noticed on a couple of previous flights "SMALL" Heli movements whilst changing banks, but nothing like the reaction pre-crash on this occasion...

So for my Information / knowledge :geek: :geek: :geek: - is it possible for that the interference from the HW (or any) Fan affected the Gyro's known locations prior to me switching modes - or is it more likely to have happened during the switch taken place ???

Thanks in advance - I live in Scotland - so most likely no need for cooling fan anyway :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon 06. Jan 2020 17:05:22 
Site Admin

It is affecting sensor/unit all the time unfortunately. The longer it is powered, the longer it is causing intererences. Depending on your flight style it could be more or less visible. But switching banks only showed already accumulated problem. So it might be good at the beginning but bad after few minutes. And our test will show you if it will be good during whole flight, because there is highest probability it will show up at the end of flight.

PostPosted: Mon 06. Jan 2020 17:14:56 

Thank you for the clarification Tomas 8-) 8-) 8-)