It is currently Tue 30. Apr 2024 5:05:38

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Hobbywing Flyfun 80A
PostPosted: Sun 01. Oct 2023 19:46:57 

Does anybody know if telemetry is working with the Hobbywing Flyfun 80A ESC? I've heard that it is basically the same as the platinum series, but also seen that different models in the Flyfun series seem to support different features, so looking to know specifically about the 80A model. Also, if you've had luck with it, what measures are reported (e.g. current? battery voltage? RPM?)?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Hobbywing Flyfun 80A
PostPosted: Mon 02. Oct 2023 7:39:37 
Site Admin

We have not tested it, but Flyfun v5 telemetry might work.
Older Flyfun ESCs very likely are not telemetry capable.

PostPosted: Mon 02. Oct 2023 18:53:49 

I'm starting to wonder why the Flyfun ESCs aren't used more for Helicopters, rather than Hobbywing's Platinum Pro series. It seems to me the key benefits of the Platinum Pro are the governor and more granular BEC voltage options. But if I'm using the FBL for the governor and don't need more granular BEC voltage, then the Flyfun offers an alternative that is a little smaller and lighter, cheaper, and can be programmed using the throttle stick (no need for programming box). :?:

PostPosted: Mon 18. Dec 2023 18:06:48 

So in the end I got a Flyfun V5 60A, and I can report that telemtry is working with my Spirit GT. However, two small mods were required:

First, the RPM signal comes from the yellow wire that is used for reverse brake signal. That wire's connector is setup as a normal signal wire in the left pin, but Spirit takes the RPM signal on the centre pin of the ELE/PIT/AIL connection, so the wire needs to be moved. Ensure the Brake Type in the ESC is set to something other than reverse. And be careful once you've moved this wire to the centre pin, since the centre pin is usually used for VCC... connecting it to the wrong port on the Spirit GT might damage the ESC?

Second, the main telemetry (which includes battery voltage and ESC temperature) comes from the white wire intended to be used for the programming box. And it seems that if that wire is connected when the ESC is powered up, it goes into programming mode and fails to initialize. To fix this, a small pull-down resistor is needed on the signal wire. I found that 22K Ohm was the perfect balance for this -- any higher and the ESC would not initialize; any lower and the telemetry signal would lose too much to ground. This resistor fits nicely across the back of the plug on the Telem UNI connector.

Also, in the Spirit unit, select HobbyWing Platinum V4 as the ESC.

I haven't yet tested to see if amps/current telemetry works. As I understand it, there needs to be some load for that to work, and this is still on the bench. But I don't think current telemetry is available on the 60A model. Maybe somebody with an 80A model can try it out one day...

p.s. I didn't bother soldering or otherwise making the resistor more permanently attached. If it falls out during flight, no harm is done since it's only needed to allow the ESC to initialize. And it seems to be pretty snug in there. We'll see how it works in practice...

Attachments:
File comment: ESC fully wired.
IMG_7056.jpg
IMG_7056.jpg [ 204 KiB | Viewed 173 times ]
File comment: 22K resistor on Telem UNI connector.
IMG_7054.jpg
IMG_7054.jpg [ 166.39 KiB | Viewed 173 times ]
File comment: Move yellow wire the centre pin.
IMG_7052.jpg
IMG_7052.jpg [ 177.51 KiB | Viewed 173 times ]

PostPosted: Sat 30. Mar 2024 0:06:39 

EricDP wrote:
I haven't yet tested to see if amps/current telemetry works. As I understand it, there needs to be some load for that to work, and this is still on the bench. But I don't think current telemetry is available on the 60A model. Maybe somebody with an 80A model can try it out one day...

I'd completely forgotten about this through the winter and have been out flying in the better weather without even checking this. Stumbled across this thread today which reminded me and thought I'd check just to confirm... and surprise! I get telemetry values for RB1A and RB1C. This is coming from a HobbyWing Flyfun V5 60A! :o